Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,979,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INOMACS View Post
About TIER V

Rep. McDermott Co-sponsors Legislation to Provide Tier 5 of Emergency Unemployment Compensation Benefits (http://mcdermott.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=360:r ep-mcdermott-co-sponsors-legislation-to-provide-tier-5-of-emergency-unemployment-compensation-benefits&catid=13ress-releases - broken link)
The text of the legislation reported in the link above has not yet been publicly released, but this House bill would reportedly provide a Tier V of 20 additional weeks to those who have exhausted available UI benefits in states with three-month average unemployment rates of 10%.

You may recall that the Senate legislation (S.3706/Stabenow) would also provide 20 weeks of additional UI benefits but in states with a lower trigger of 7.5%.

Another report on the new House legislation -- albeit scant info -- available at: House Democrats Put Forward Tier V Legislation, Extending Unemployment Benefits for 99ers « The Washington Independent

Last edited by diorgirl; 08-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Title added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 07:35 PM

39 posts, read 176,500 times
Quick question, praying someone knows the answer.

After I was laid off and began collect UEB, I relocated with my family from Hawaii to Georgia.
Talk about out of the frying pan, into the fire! Situation on the job front is worse here.
I am currently in the midst of Tier 1.
Georgia has up to Tier 4, as they have a very high unemployment, Hawaii only goes to Tier 3. Since I know reside in Georgia, and the UEB in the Tier system (if I understand it correctly) is funded by the federal goverment, will I be able to get Tier 4, and hopefully down the road, Tier 5? Anyone know, or can point me in the right direction?

Old 08-10-2010, 07:53 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,512,015 times
I don't think you can collect on Tier 4, because your claim is paid through Hawaii, even though you reside in Georgia and Hawaii doesn't meet the trigger.

Tier V, IF your claiming state (Hawaii) meets the triggers, should be available to you if legislation creates a Tier V - long way to go on that. However, if you've been following Tier V, Stabenow has proposed a trigger of 8.5%, McDermott a trigger of 10%. In either case, I don't think Hawaii comes close to those numbers.

Here is a relevant thread. Principles the same, different states.

//www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...-continue.html

You are still filing your claims through Hawaii, are you not?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM

39 posts, read 176,500 times
I am. I'm in the middle of Tier 1. I would understand if it runs out at III...just hard right now

Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaK View Post
I am. I'm in the middle of Tier 1. I would understand if it runs out at III...just hard right now
Yeah, it is hard for a lot people and going to get worse as more and more people exhaust their benefits. We're going to need a lot longer than just 20 weeks on Tier V and triggers lower than those proposed by McDermott. Whole situation is unimaginable, really. I'm pretty old and never thought I'd see anything like this. I really feel for the younger people. This happened towards the end of my life. I have no clue how I would have managed if this had happened 20 years ago. Probably be living with my brother or other relatives. As it is I'm retired with IRAs intact, so am all right as long as the govt keeps paying Social Security. If they don't - ha - well then we establish a family compound and three or four families move in together because we'll all be in the same boat.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I don't think you can collect on Tier 4, because your claim is paid through Hawaii, even though you reside in Georgia and Hawaii doesn't meet the trigger.

... if you've been following Tier V, Stabenow has proposed a trigger of 8.5%, McDermott a trigger of 10%. In either case, I don't think Hawaii comes close to those numbers.
Ariadne22 is right -- for EUC Tiers, you can only collect the UI benefits available in the state from which you are collecting, regardless of where you reside.

But just FYI, Stabenow's proposed trigger is not 8.5% -- it's 7.5%.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Ariadne22 is right -- for EUC Tiers, you can only collect the UI benefits available in the state from which you are collecting, regardless of where you reside.

But just FYI, Stabenow's proposed trigger is not 8.5% -- it's 7.5%.
Ha - I knew that - but brain is a sieve these days, at times. 7.5% - that is really aggressive when you compare it to McDermott's 10%.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Ha - I knew that - but brain is a sieve these days, at times. 7.5% - that is really aggressive when you compare it to McDermott's 10%.
LOL! I know that feeling all too well! You were writing Tier V, but you were thinking Tier IV.

Current EUC triggers:
• Tier I - no trigger
• Tier II - no trigger
• Tier III - 6% trigger
• Tier IV - 8.5% trigger

Proposed:
• Senate/Stabenow Tier V - 7.5% trigger
• House/McDermott Tier V - 10% trigger

Old 08-10-2010, 08:59 PM

194 posts, read 314,459 times
So if this were to be passed NJ people would not be able to collect because our three month avg is 9.5% so for .5% thousands would lose out? That is going to really PO a lot of NJ people and I'm sure many other states that are right on the edge

Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Well, hopefully, there will be a compromise well below the 10% proposed by McDermott. He has to know that excludes too many long-term unemployed - no matter the state. Stabenow @ 7.5% would be great. Depends on how bad the situation gets.

Diorgirl's comment that it is in the financial interests of the states to keep EUC going is compelling. Wisconsin's Badger Care has a waiting list. Food stamps are up 66%, homeless shelters seeing a 70% increase this year. Right now our 3-month unemployment rate is 8.2%, but I think it's a blip and will get back up to 8.5, 8.7, or higher, pretty soon.

Congress can be very recalcitrant but at the same time surprising. Watching this legislation wind its way between both houses and committees will be a bit of a roller coaster ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies