Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM

163 posts, read 712,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payme View Post
Hi!

I'm in CA to and my tier 4 will end Nov. 20th. What do you mean when you say the FED-ED is not offered unless 100% funded?
Hi there. CA only offers the FED-ED when it is funded 100% by the Feds. Once the November deadline is reached, it converts to 50% percent State funded and 50% Fed funded. CA does not pay if it is not 100% funded by the FEDS so that program is suspended at the Nov 30th deadline.

Since the deadline is November 30th and EB is only offered up until that date, you will get maybe two weeks of EB (me too, it looks like) but then it stops. Some states opted to continue EB even when it was a converted 50% 50% but not many. CA did not opt for that.

The Tier V (20 weeks) would help greatly and according to the info posted, it would be paid before Tier lV which is only 6 weeks if this bill is passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM

33 posts, read 64,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettebup47 View Post
Hi there. CA only offers the FED-ED when it is funded 100% by the Feds. Once the November deadline is reached, it converts to 50% percent State funded and 50% Fed funded. CA does not pay if it is not 100% funded by the FEDS so that program is suspended at the Nov 30th deadline.

Since the deadline is November 30th and EB is only offered up until that date, you will get maybe two weeks of EB (me too, it looks like) but then it stops. Some states opted to continue EB even when it was a converted 50% 50% but not many. CA did not opt for that.

The Tier V (20 weeks) would help greatly and according to the info posted, it would be paid before Tier lV which is only 6 weeks if this bill is passed.
Thank you for replying. I didn't know that. OMG! Thought I would get the full 20 weeks of FED-Ed since my tier 4 ends Nov. 20th. Now I'm feeling very very scared! OMG OMG OMG!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Thank you for replying. I didn't know that. OMG! Thought I would get the full 20 weeks of FED-Ed since my tier 4 ends Nov. 20th. Now I'm feeling very very scared! OMG OMG OMG!
I know. I was a bit floored when I learned this, as well. Namely when the recent deadline of June 2 hit and I ran out of Tier 2 right about that time. I was hoping EB would kick in but it didn't because that expired when the extension deadline expired.

Just hope for work or this Tier V because CA is still in 12% unemployment. Ridiculous.

I have so many friends that have lost their jobs.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I know. I was a bit floored when I learned this, as well. Namely when the recent deadline of June 2 hit and I ran out of Tier 2 right about that time. I was hoping EB would kick in but it didn't because that expired when the extension deadline expired.

Just hope for work or this Tier V because CA is still in 12% unemployment. Ridiculous.

I have so many friends that have lost their jobs.
Same here. I still don't understand. From the CA-EDD, it says:

If additional federal legislation is not signed in June to extend the full funding of the FED-ED program, tax-rated employers will be charged for 100 percent of FED-ED extension benefits for the first week, and 50 percent for each week thereafter, on FED-ED extensions filed with an effective date after May 30, 2010.

FAQ - Extended Unemployment Benefits

What is a tax rated employer?

Old 08-07-2010, 10:59 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Yes, federal EUC differs to state EB in that with federal Tiers you are allowed to finish out the tier you're on at the cutoff date, whereas state EB (Ca fedED in this case) in a state that doesn't offer it unless it's fully federally funded, stops at the cutoff date.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Yes, federal EUC differs to state EB in that with federal Tiers you are allowed to finish out the tier you're on at the cutoff date, whereas state EB (Ca fedED in this case) in a state that doesn't offer it unless it's fully federally funded, stops at the cutoff date.
Did you read my last post? what about what that says, and again, what is a tax rated employer? tia

Old 08-07-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Same here. I still don't understand. From the CA-EDD, it says:

If additional federal legislation is not signed in June to extend the full funding of the FED-ED program, tax-rated employers will be charged for 100 percent of FED-ED extension benefits for the first week, and 50 percent for each week thereafter, on FED-ED extensions filed with an effective date after May 30, 2010.

FAQ - Extended Unemployment Benefits

What is a tax rated employer?

It appears that while the program is in effect, employers who are taxed for payroll will be charged 100% of the ext. and 50% for each week after that as long as the extension is in effect. It sounds to me as though the FEDs pass the cost on to the former employer. I'm guessing based on what you posted.

I talked to an EDD rep when my Tier 2 expired and was told that CA does not pay out on EB unless it is 100% fully funded. It will not pay this time beyond the Nov. 30th date which means that if you and I complete out Tier 4 by Nov 20, we can collect EB until Nov. 30th and then it stops.

Just hope for the Tier V if no jobs are created by then. I send out in excess of 50 resumes per day- duplicating some, and nothing so far. Never seen it like this before.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
It appears that while the program is in effect, employers who are taxed for payroll will be charged 100% of the ext. and 50% for each week after that as long as the extension is in effect. It sounds to me as though the FEDs pass the cost on to the former employer. I'm guessing based on what you posted.

I talked to an EDD rep when my Tier 2 expired and was told that CA does not pay out on EB unless it is 100% fully funded. It will not pay this time beyond the Nov. 30th date which means that if you and I complete out Tier 4 by Nov 20, we can collect EB until Nov. 30th and then it stops.

Just hope for the Tier V if no jobs are created by then. I send out in excess of 50 resumes per day- duplicating some, and nothing so far. Never seen it like this before.
So what you are saying or your understanding of it is that the employer does pay but we only get it till the Nov. 30th deadline.

What about another extension? If they extend the Nov. 30th deadline would it include the EB or CA FED-ED?

I don't understand why their website can't clarify this. grrrrrrrrr

Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Quote:
So what you are saying or your understanding of it is that the employer does pay but we only get it till the Nov. 30th deadline.

What about another extension? If they extend the Nov. 30th deadline would it include the EB or CA FED-ED?

I don't understand why their website can't clarify this. grrrrrrrrr
Yes, if that date of Nov get revised and they add another extension date for filing for the extensions, the EB would be in effect. As long as CA meets the % that triggers the EB in the first place.

I guess- it was a huge feat to get this thing pushed out to Nov. so getting it pushed out even further might be a challenge, at best. I am truly hoping that this Tier V can get some serious attention. Not only for people like you and I, but for those who have zero right now. It's clear jobs are not being created and letting people fall in to the abyss is not humane.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, if that date of Nov get revised and they add another extension date for filing for the extensions, the EB would be in effect. As long as CA meets the % that triggers the EB in the first place.

I guess- it was a huge feat to get this thing pushed out to Nov. so getting it pushed out even further might be a challenge, at best. I am truly hoping that this Tier V can get some serious attention. Not only for people like you and I, but for those who have zero right now. It's clear jobs are not being created and letting people fall in to the abyss is not humane.
I do believe things will get worse here in Cali. I'm 60 and I know for a fact I'm not getting jobs because of my age and my previous salary.

I've applied for almost 600 jobs, anything and everything. I've had 13 interviews out of all that. Zero 2nd interviews. Found out several hired someone at least 15 years younger with 1/3 my experience.

I'm about ready to just turn on the gas and go to sleep. My cobra subsidy ended this month and my wife is ill and we need insurance but can't afford it now.

In better times my background and experience would land me a job in 2 days. Now I can't get anything, and I mean anything. I really need the benefits the most. So would work for any wage.

Oh well, sorry to ramble. I'm a first time whiner here and about to just throw in the towel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies