Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Umm... That is a "choice". They don't "want" to disappoint their parents, which implies they have an option. They choose not to disappoint their parents, so they do as their parents tell them. Hence, a choice.

They can once they are of age choose as they wish. There is always a choice.
Well, where I come from we are not so egoistic, we don't just do what we want, disregarding the people who we believe in and like. So some things are just not an option. And that also applies to many people in the US, although you obviously won't admit it.

Some students drop out of Gymnasium later on, which often tends to considerably hurt their self-esteem.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Some students drop out of Gymnasium later on, which often tends to considerably hurt their self-esteem.
Oh, we would not want Johnnies "self esteem" hurt. Tell you what - lets get rid of school grading systems - I mean, getting an "F" might hurt that fragile self esteem!

That's a bunch of BS - so what? Johnnies self esteem may need to be "hurt" to teach Johnnie that the world is a cruel place - and that he will not always succeed - that he may need to keep trying.

How many times did Henry Ford FAIL? Do you know? Using your "self esteem" crude, we might never have seen the automobile!

Old 07-26-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh, we would not want Johnnies "self esteem" hurt. Tell you what - lets get rid of school grading systems - I mean, getting an "F" might hurt that fragile self esteem!

That's a bunch of BS - so what? Johnnies self esteem may need to be "hurt" to teach Johnnie that the world is a cruel place - and that he will not always succeed - that he may need to keep trying.

How many times did Henry Ford FAIL? Do you know? Using your "self esteem" crude, we might never have seen the automobile!
You don't get what it means. It is way more than just getting a couple of bad grades or having to repeat a year. It amounts to being told you are a second-class student and person, you are not good enough. And once you are expelled from Gymnasium, an array of professions are already taboo as you can't study medicine, law etc.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:20 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Well, where I come from we are not so egoistic, we don't just do what we want, disregarding the people who we believe in and like. So some things are just not an option. And that also applies to many people in the US, although you obviously won't admit it.

You make it sound like there isn't a choice. My parents pushed me a direction I didn't want to go. When I came of age, I went the direction I chose. They didn't pay my bills after I left home, why should they decide what I do in my adult life?

Again, we get to the meat of the issue here. The choice exists, but they don't want to hurt their parents feelings and so they do everything they do not want to do to serve their parents wishes, even if it means living their lives in a depressive state.

I am sorry, but that isn't being considerate of ones parents, that is just being weak willed and subservient.

Wait.... it is starting to make sense now. The children are not raised with any self ability, they are raised to be drones to serve the calls of their masters (their parents) and so naturally, this thinking would translate to government as well. That is, they grew up being told what to do, they can't think for themselves, so they need government to tell them what to do as well.

It is all coming together now.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
You don't get what it means. It is way more than just getting a couple of bad grades or having to repeat a year. It amounts to being told you are a second-class student and person, you are not good enough. And once you are expelled from Gymnasium, an array of professions are already taboo as you can't study medicine, law etc.
What was that you were saying about collectives? I thought they were all about helping people? Looks like they are more about dictating to people and those that do not toe the line get the short end of the stick. Thanks, but I will keep my individual freedom. The system where the outcast can go out on their own and succeed without the approval of a bunch of stuck up snobs and their "exclusive" system.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:28 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Here in the US - you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Oh, perhaps you will not study law at Harvard but, you will still be able to study law.

And perhaps you are not a good candidate to study medicine - try something else. The fact is, most who "give up" are flat out LAZY.

FACE FACTS - some are "second class" students - they don't have the same mental capabilities as others. That is a fact of life.

You say you don't like your profession. Then, change professions. I went back to school - law school, when I was in my 40's. I have a dear friend who just past the Bar and is now practicing law - at the age of 61.

If you give up - then you are a defeatist.

Are you?

Old 07-26-2010, 11:35 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Default US vs. Europe

Well, it occurs to me that we already have a Europe--it's in Europe! We don't need one here. There is an airplane waiting at the nearest airport that can fly you there if you would like.

The one thing that there isn't another of, is America. It is the height of foolishness to take the most productive and prosperous country on the face of the planet and try to turn it into a copy of stagnant, statist, chronic-high-unemployment Europe.

The tension between the collective and the individual is properly placed at the center of the argument--that is the battleground.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:37 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Well, it occurs to me that we already have a Europe--it's in Europe! We don't need one here. There is an airplane waiting at the nearest airport that can fly you there if you would like.

The one thing that there isn't another of, is America. It is the height of foolishness to take the most productive and prosperous country on the face of the planet and try to turn it into a copy of stagnant, statist, chronic-high-unemployment Europe.

The tension between the collective and the individual is properly placed at the center of the argument--that is the battleground.
I approve of this assessment.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You make it sound like there isn't a choice. My parents pushed me a direction I didn't want to go. When I came of age, I went the direction I chose. They didn't pay my bills after I left home, why should they decide what I do in my adult life?

Again, we get to the meat of the issue here. The choice exists, but they don't want to hurt their parents feelings and so they do everything they do not want to do to serve their parents wishes, even if it means living their lives in a depressive state.

I am sorry, but that isn't being considerate of ones parents, that is just being weak willed and subservient.

Wait.... it is starting to make sense now. The children are not raised with any self ability, they are raised to be drones to serve the calls of their masters (their parents) and so naturally, this thinking would translate to government as well. That is, they grew up being told what to do, they can't think for themselves, so they need government to tell them what to do as well.

It is all coming together now.
Neither, nor, it is a delicate middle way between egoism and altruism.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here in the US - you can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Oh, perhaps you will not study law at Harvard but, you will still be able to study law.

And perhaps you are not a good candidate to study medicine - try something else. The fact is, most who "give up" are flat out LAZY.

FACE FACTS - some are "second class" students - they don't have the same mental capabilities as others. That is a fact of life.

You say you don't like your profession. Then, change professions. I went back to school - law school, when I was in my 40's. I have a dear friend who just past the Bar and is now practicing law - at the age of 61.

If you give up - then you are a defeatist.

Are you?
I am in the process of getting away from it Took me decades though to figure out what I want in the first place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies