Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Business is an ideal? Its a tool to progression, nothing more. Sounds like you have been fed the "Evil American capitalist" schooling. As for people settling down and buying a home... not really. Some do, some don't. Nobody cares. Again, someone is feeding you propaganda.
Nah, there is no propaganda here, nor in Germany. I don't live in China.
I observed it myself in my American colleagues and friends. Assuming you are American, you may not realize it yourself because you are used to the American way. To me it is quite striking how Americans seem obsessed with business and money, they even mix work with their private lives, which is mostly frowned upon here. At the same time you have much more hierarchy over there, maybe because people are so keen on careers and job titles and income and getting ahead.

Settling down and buying a home is part of the American Dream. America needs its people to buy homes as that enslaves them to their mortgages, which in turn is necessary to keep the machine going. Renting is considered preliminary, almost all Americans want to own a home. That ideal is what they grow up with. In central Europe that is not the case. Renting gives me the freedom a mortgage would take away from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's not a coincidence that the Left has dominated European politics for decades now. Their Leftists have state-run media on their side. The BBC, and the BBC's equivalents on the continent (such as TVE in Spain) all have a pro-government leftist bias and most Europeans watch these government news channels.
BBC is not leftist, it is sometimes quite critical of the government when appropriate. Compared to Fox, BBC is another universe in terms of quality and objectivity. The only thing in the States that comes close is NPR. While people also say it is leftist, I don't think so. It seems to me that any intellectual media are considered leftist these days. And we all know why that is

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Nah, there is no propaganda here, nor in Germany. I don't live in China.
I observed it myself in my American colleagues and friends. Assuming you are American, you may not realize it yourself because you are used to the American way. To me it is quite striking how Americans seem obsessed with business and money, they even mix work with their private lives, which is mostly frowned upon here. At the same time you have much more hierarchy over there, maybe because people are so keen on careers and job titles and income and getting ahead.
You observed from a few friends and colleagues and then generalize your very limited experience as fact while contesting someone who actually lives in the US? I see, and I guess I should then generalize germans as fat beer bellied burly faced lederhosen wearing drunks who scheme and plot world domination? I mean, because I have seen a couple as such through my observations and all.

Again, you are either listening to propaganda or creating your own to serve your interests.

Quote:
Settling down and buying a home is part of the American Dream. America needs its people to buy homes as that enslaves them to their mortgages, which in turn is necessary to keep the machine going. Renting is considered preliminary, almost all Americans want to own a home. That ideal is what they grow up with. In central Europe that is not the case. Renting gives me the freedom a mortgage would take away from me.
No, that would be a misunderstanding. Buying a home is an option as result from the dream. The dream is a free society where anyone can own property if they choose, anyone can start a business if they choose, anyone can live as they choose, go where they choose, be who they choose. The American Dream is first and foremost "freedom". The above were not and to an extent today still not free to all in other countries. America stated everyone was equal and contained inalienable rights to which could not be dictated by any government, faction, or mob of people. Our rights can not be ignored. They were not given to us by government, they are our rights irregardless of government or the position of man in general. a position that up until recent past was extremely uncommon in the rest of the world.

You can thank the US for leading the way to your freedoms, for without the accomplishments of our country, yours would still be muddling around in its oppressive societies. you have been fed a load of garbage. What contribution did you make other than a lunatic who committed mass murder and attempted to take the world by force?

Quote:
BBC is not leftist, it is sometimes quite critical of the government when appropriate. Compared to Fox, BBC is another universe in terms of quality and objectivity. The only thing in the States that comes close is NPR. While people also say it is leftist, I don't think so. It seems to me that any intellectual media are considered leftist these days. And we all know why that is
BBC is a joke, their coverage of issues concerning AGW alone is disgustingly irresponsible in its journalism. All of the media is garbage, profit motivated and politically driven. To think otherwise is to be, as you so like to say naive.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:12 AM

That is why I trust my observations more than yours, you live there, thus you are not objective.

Your view of the US and the rest of the world is very distorted and biased in my view. The product of American propaganda I won't blame you, it's not your fault... In German there is a saying 'Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen', which is an ironic self-assessment regarding the way Germans consider themselves too important. But the same saying applies to Americans as well, Us-Americans that is.

All that talk of freedom, in the end other countries are simply more successful when it comes to putting theory into practice, which shows in better rankings in various key aspects.

What contribution did I make? If you mean Germans, well, without them the whole world would be less developed as a big share of inventors and developers have been Germans or of German origin. Same goes for philosophy and other disciplines. And the US would not be what it is, either. I personally did not make any contribution, though, I am not ambitious. At least I don't contribute as much crap as many other people.

Just because they report on politics, does not mean they are driven by it. The BBC reports on GW based on the opinion of the majority of scientist, whether right or wrong. The BBC is not a science organization, they don't have super computers to try different models etc.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:18 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
It is my CHOICE (freedom) to own my own business. It is my own CHOICE (freedom) to own my own home. No one forced me into either.

I do feel I am ambitious and frankly cannot understand those that are simply willing to sit back on their laurels and not advance professionally or personally.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is my CHOICE (freedom) to own my own business. It is my own CHOICE (freedom) to own my own home. No one forced me into either.

I do feel I am ambitious and frankly cannot understand those that are simply willing to sit back on their laurels and not advance professionally or personally.
So, people are free to own businesses and homes in Europe, too, if they so chose. What's the difference?

Thanks for your honesty. I believe you that you can't understand why someone does not strive to advance professionally. Personal growth, well, that is almost unavoidable and can result from anything. I have never met anyone who has not grown personally. The wisest and most mature people I know are actually not very ambitious in terms of profession or material stuff.

Here is an interesting study on what they call intergenerational mobility (http://www.suttontrust.com/reports/IntergenerationalMobility.pdf - broken link), i.e. how likely people are to improve their economic situation "by virtue of their own talents, motivation and luck". Turns out Scandinavia and Canada are doing way better than the US and UK, which are about the same in this respect. Germany is somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-27-2010 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-27-2010, 11:46 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
That is why I trust my observations more than yours, you live there, thus you are not objective.

Your view of the US and the rest of the world is very distorted and biased in my view. The product of American propaganda I won't blame you, it's not your fault... In German there is a saying 'Am deutschen Wesen soll die Welt genesen', which is an ironic self-assessment regarding the way Germans consider themselves too important. But the same saying applies to Americans as well, Us-Americans that is.

All that talk of freedom, in the end other countries are simply more successful when it comes to putting theory into practice, which shows in better rankings in various key aspects.

What contribution did I make? If you mean Germans, well, without them the whole world would be less developed as a big share of inventors and developers have been Germans or of German origin. Same goes for philosophy and other disciplines. And the US would not be what it is, either. I personally did not make any contribution, though, I am not ambitious. At least I don't contribute as much crap as many other people.

Just because they report on politics, does not mean they are driven by it. The BBC reports on GW based on the opinion of the majority of scientist, whether right or wrong. The BBC is not a science organization, they don't have super computers to try different models etc.
I am sorry, but you are spouting off garbage. I think we are done here.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I am sorry, but you are spouting off garbage. I think we are done here.
I agree, you are done.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I agree, you are done.
As someone who has traveled EXTENSIVELY, had residences in various countries, who's profession has included dealing with people from all over the world, I must say that Nomander's perspective is far more realistic than yours is.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As someone who has traveled EXTENSIVELY, had residences in various countries, who's profession has included dealing with people from all over the world, I must say that Nomander's perspective is far more realistic than yours is.
Why is it I am not surprised you write that?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Why is it I am not surprised you write that?
Because I believe the other poster is correct. He and I believe in individual freedoms - while you do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies