Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is he a felon? As a felon, did he escape punishment? I don't listen to Rush so I have no clue.

Yes and Yes. He should be wearing stripes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Isn't the USA the most imprisoned nation in the world? If places like China, N. Korea and Iran imprison a smaller percentage of it's people,then it sure doesn't make the USA look very good. We as a country can only tolerate so much freedom.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:33 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Deterrance would be a side benefit, not the primary benefit. The primary benefit would be keeping those people off the streets for longer. Prison violence is no consequence to me. Don't want to get raped? Don't go to prison. The emphasis on protecting the individual in prison could be remedied by individual cells, 23 hours per day. Solitary confinement. Don't like that idea? Don't commit a felony, and all will be well. It's really pretty simple. I've managed to stay out of prison my entire life. It's not hard to do.

Easy to say.......until you or someone you know gets unjustly imprisoned. I hope this never happens to you.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Isn't the USA the most imprisoned nation in the world?
This is correct, but some think more of the same is the answer.

I guess it feels good to be so superior to others.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Isn't the USA the most imprisoned nation in the world? If places like China, N. Korea and Iran imprison a smaller percentage of it's people,then it sure doesn't make the USA look very good. We as a country can only tolerate so much freedom.
What's the alternative? Let criminals go? Turn a blind eye to the crime? Lecture and forgive?

Surely there are societal ills that can and should be dealt with on the macro level, but government can only do so much for Johhny Smith and how he's raised. Once Johnny is an adult, he should know that killing/robbing/raping are not acceptable. At that point its time to incarcerate. Agree? Disagree?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
This is correct, but some think more of the same is the answer.

I guess it feels good to be so superior to others.
I'm not understanding your "superior" point? What does being a law-abiding citizen have to do with being "superior" to a criminal?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Easy to say.......until you or someone you know gets unjustly imprisoned. I hope this never happens to you.
I agree with you. Unjust imprisonment happens. But that's largely out of control of the populace. And honestly, probably pretty rare. In any case, it's horrible. Are those seemingly rare cases enough for you to declare that prison life is a reason to not incarcerate someone? The probability of getting raped is a reason to slow the pace of imprisoning criminals?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
I'm not understanding your "superior" point? What does being a law-abiding citizen have to do with being "superior" to a criminal?
Allow me to explain...

Much of the right wing ideology is about being able to sit in judgement of others. Right wingers judge gays, welfare recipients, those who are imprisoned, immigrants (of all stripes), non-English speakers, drug users, and a whole list of other groups.

They want tougher laws because they could never commit a crime. They are against gay marriage because their bible is obviously the correct one...

Welfare recipients are no-good laggards. If you're in prison, you must be guilty. If you use drugs, you're morally corrupt...

That's the right wing conservative platform. It's all about judgement, without an iota of sympathy, empathy or assistance.

Again, it must feel good to be so superior.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,033,551 times
Quote:
It's time to quit playing footsies with criminals.

No more slaps on the wrist. No more "rehabilitation" bullcrap.

No discretionary power for judges to reduce sentences. No early release for "good behavior."

Hard time. That's what you get for breaking the law. No counseling. No prayer rugs. Just you and the walls and the bars to sort out your mess.

Harsher sentences for every stripe of felon is what we need. Very harsh. The fear of never seeing freedom again kind of harsh.

Stop funding non-sensical studies on college kids drinking beer and having unprotected sex in Brazil. Use that money to build more prisons. Build them now. And when those fill up. Build more. Eventually one of two things will happen: Criminals will finally get the message, or our streets will be safer and free from the local recidivist with his eye on your property or your loved ones.
NO NO NO! No more prisons are needed. Just legalize drugs and only lock up real criminals who deserve prison. No more violations of our right to possess property. Then you will have plenty of resources to take care of real crimes.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Allow me to explain...

Much of the right wing ideology is about being able to sit in judgement of others. Right wingers judge gays, welfare recipients, those who are imprisoned, immigrants (of all stripes), non-English speakers, drug users, and a whole list of other groups.

They want tougher laws because they could never commit a crime. They are against gay marriage because their bible is obviously the correct one...

Welfare recipients are no-good laggards. If you're in prison, you must be guilty. If you use drugs, you're morally corrupt...

That's the right wing conservative platform. It's all about judgement, without an iota of sympathy, empathy or assistance.

Again, it must feel good to be so superior.
Ok, does that mean that the left-wing supports crime and criminals because not supporting it would mean that you're right-leaning? What would posses you to hedge your support on something as socially important as crime and punishment in order to not associate with the "other side?" Because that's essentially what you're saying: The right wing prefers to be hard on crime, therefore I simply cannot support that.

If that's not your viewpoint, then clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies