Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

prison is not punishment its time out.
bagdad has low prison population and gangbangers are rarely seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Kentuckian View Post
More executions as well, with no appeals. [No more of] My taxpayer money going to keep these scumbags alive!
Yes, we need to execute more people with no appeals. In fact, why waste money on a trial? Execute them upon arrest.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 AM

640 posts, read 388,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol even if they are guilty do you think spending time with a bunch of drug dealers in prison is going to make them want to stop dealing or smoking? On top of that they aren't going to get a job with a prison record. People need something different.
I agree with you. More prisons and BRUTALLY HARSH sentences is not the way to solve the problem of crime. Plus, there is that little thing about cruel and unusual punishment.........you'd think all our authoritarian conservative friends would be concerned with the Constitution because they scream about Obama, in their view, doesn't understand the Constitution........but, the Constitution doesn't matter much when it comes to criminals/inmates apparently. They'd probably just like to see a 6 x 5 cell, throw in some dog food once in awhile, make them bathe in a little sink in the cell and never let them out.....who needs exercise to keep your muscles from atrophy?

It's so easy to dehumanize when thinking in the "us" and "them" mode. And of course we all know that "criminals" are not human!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yes, we need to execute more people with no appeals. In fact, why waste money on a trial? Execute them upon arrest.
Now I think you're speaking their language.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
prison is not punishment its time out.
bagdad has low prison population and gangbangers are rarely seen.

Yep. That's just what we want. Let's model our prison system and our justice system on Iraq's system. Yahoo!

Old 07-30-2010, 12:26 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Look, let me put it to you plainly.

You want to build more prisons, and take a hardliner's stance on crime. Other than your especially blustery rhetoric, this is nothing new from certain areas of our political spectrum.

The US has the largest prison population in the entire world, at least as is documented. China potentially has more, but let's assume we're the highest.

The graph that I posted shows an incredible increase in the number of prisoners after the initiation of the War on Drugs, especially during the 80s, when the crack epidemic hit so many inner cities with devastating force.

The point is that an extremely large number of our immense prison population are non-violent drug offenders. Additionally, the criminalization of drugs itself attracts more crime due to street dealers attempting to corner the market/protect their turf/eliminate opposition, what have you. So our policies on drugs have resulted in an enormous outgrowth of both prisoners and crime.

But let's leave drugs alone for a minute, since that's not even the major issue. You want to make our prisons harsher for individuals inside. What do you know about life in prison? What do you know about recidivism rates? Do you want someone to go into prison for an offense and come out twice as messed up as they were before? You say all these things while pointing out that you don't care about anyone that ends up in prison, which is your own personal issue, but unless you want to lock everyone up forever, the fact that some of these people are going to eventually be released should give you pause.

Structurally, do you recognize the incredible difficulties in running our currently bloated prison system and the issues that would be exacerbated due to the expansion of this system? We are so messed up that we our outsourcing our imprisonment. Does that not strike you? Our privatized prisons are far worse than our public prisons, due to poorly-trained staff and other problems that come about due to the profit-earning (corner-cutting) nature of these organizations.

I really don't know what else to say. If our government decided that we needed to build more prisons and increase the rate of incarceration without drastically changing our justice system, it would, simply put, amount to a form of class warfare. If you take a Libertarian stance then you'll never agree with me, but at least educate yourself on our incarceration policies and trends.

YouTube - Torture in American prisons
http://www.penalreform.org/about-pri-5.html (broken link)
Justice Policy Institute
Prison Policy Initiative
This is exactly the type of dialogue that I hoped to generate. You should know by now that i'm a "chain puller."

But make no mistake. I still hold firm to the belief that you have nothing to worry about if you don't commit a felony. Am I wrong?

But, you make valid points. The system indeed is not perfect. There are lots of things to consider before implementing harsher sentences and harsher conditions. I don't disagree with you. But lets be honest. Should we really care about what's happening in the day to day life of a prisoner? I say only minimally. Do I support outright torture? No. Do I support rape? No. Do I support constant beatings? No. But we're not talking about the cream of the crop here. We're talking the worst of the worst. Those people who can't function in society. Those people are better off in a place of constant tension. They asked for it. They got it.

Now as far as reintroduction into society, that's precisely why I'm in favor of harsher sentences. I prefer that not one single murderer/rapist/child abuser/child molester ever see the light of day again. I have NO sympathy for those people. I could care less what happens to them in prison.

I support reevaluation of arcane laws for minor drug offenders. Mega-dope dealers get no sympathy either.

I'm of the opinion that too many of the considerations that you bring forth equate into the very "footsies" that I was alluding to in the OP. The time for excuses has passed. It's time to take a real stand against those who do no good in society.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
If you want to deter crime from occurring, spend money on more cops rather than longer sentences.

The likelihood of apprehension deters criminals far more than the severest punishment.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Hey, I know! How about this for a solution: since you seem to be such a proponent, why don't you move to South America, China, or the Middle East? Maybe that way you'll get experience first-hand the joys and pitfalls of a real "hard-line" police state (hint: they don't really buy into that whole "Constitution" thing over there, and they're not so concerned with your "rights"). In the mean time, we'll stay over here and enjoy our Miranda Rights. Have fun!
Miranda Rights? We're talking prison in this thread.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:34 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The ultimate "hard line, tough on crime" approach is Sharia. Do you support that?

Old 07-30-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Hmmmm, let's see. How is the criminal justice system connected to the prison system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies