Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 PM

640 posts, read 388,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I agree with you. Unjust imprisonment happens. But that's largely out of control of the populace. And honestly, probably pretty rare. In any case, it's horrible. Are those seemingly rare cases enough for you to declare that prison life is a reason to not incarcerate someone? The probability of getting raped is a reason to slow the pace of imprisoning criminals?
OMG! Clearly you have no background or professional experience in the criminal justice system or the prison system. Yet, folks with no backgroung in that arena amazingly feel that they're got all the answers. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Ok, does that mean that the left-wing supports crime and criminals because not supporting it would mean that you're right-leaning? What would posses you to hedge your support on something as socially important as crime and punishment in order to not associate with the "other side?" Because that's essentially what you're saying: The right wing prefers to be hard on crime, therefore I simply cannot support that.

If that's not your viewpoint, then clarify.
That's obviously not my view point, and nothing I said would support that... You're assumption (or is it more faux logic to vilify the left!?!) that the left wing supports crime and criminals is ridiculous. Can you come up with any thing I wrote in my post that would indicate such?

However, I support a system that focuses on rehabilitation, and doesn't make hard core criminals out of drug addicts (which is why our prisons are overcrowded and why-- per capita-- we imprison more people than any other country), and is compliant with human rights standards that we claim to cherish.

I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that I support crime and criminals because I view the right wing as desirous of judging people who make lifestyle decisions different from their own.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitsua View Post
OMG! Clearly you have no background or professional experience in the criminal justice system or the prison system. Yet, folks with no backgroung in that arena amazingly feel that they're got all the answers. LOL
Do you have the answers? If so, lets hear them. That's what the thread is about.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
That's obviously not my view point, and nothing I said would support that... You're assumption (or is it more faux logic to vilify the left!?!) that the left wing supports crime and criminals is ridiculous. Can you come up with any thing I wrote in my post that would indicate such?

However, I support a system that focuses on rehabilitation, and doesn't make hard core criminals out of drug addicts (which is why our prisons are overcrowded and why-- per capita-- we imprison more people than any other country), and is compliant with human rights standards that we claim to cherish.

I have no idea how you reached the conclusion that I support crime and criminals because I view the right wing as desirous of judging people who make lifestyle decisions different from their own.
Absolutely. The intent of your post was to suppose that the "right-wing" casts a long shadow of judgement. You are absolutely right. When it comes to judging criminals, we (I) do cast a long shadow. It's called recompence. Do the crime, do the time. Payback to society. That's how it works. So for you to object to that philosophy, you'd have to have an opposing view. Logically, if you decry the right-wing view on crime and punishment, then one can only deduce the opposite is your opinion.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Yea, 1 out of 31 adults just is not enough. We already have the largest prison system/incarceration rate in the world. Costing us $60-$70 billion a year in this recession of ours..

And geniuses are still begging for more.

Mind boggling.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Absolutely. The intent of your post was to suppose that the "right-wing" casts a long shadow of judgement. You are absolutely right. When it comes to judging criminals, we (I) do cast a long shadow. It's called recompence. Do the crime, do the time. Payback to society. That's how it works. So for you to object to that philosophy, you'd have to have an opposing view. Logically, if you decry the right-wing view on crime and punishment, then one can only deduce the opposite.
Yes, I object to the right wing philosophy of judging criminals, gays, non-Christians, immigrants, non-English speakers, Europeans, drug users, welfare recipients and others without any compassion or empathy.

And again, you didn't find anything in my post that said I support criminals and crime. You tried some false logical syllogism, but can't find anything I said that supports the ridiculous claim that I support crime and criminals.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
prison is not working bek we got lawyers.
i am afraid long as we have lawyers punishment is not guna happen.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
I'm pretty sure most people don't want to be raped in prison.

Quote:
Warehousing people is exactly what we need. People fear South American prisons. People fear Chinese prisons. People fear Middle Eastern prisons. Why? Because paying the piper is what prison is all about in those regions. Criminals in the U.S. don't fear prison. They only fear prison when they're about to go there. That needs to change.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:05 AM

640 posts, read 388,218 times
Quote:
Do you have the answers? If so, lets hear them. That's what the thread is about.
Sorry, but I think this thread is about ranting and simplistic views regarding very complex systems......the prison system and the criminal justice system. Clearly you have no idea how much work goes on in those areas to deal with and to find answers to the problems you think can be solved by "building more prisons".........geeezzzz. Simple minded solution. If the solution was simply to build more prisons and enact harsher laws, it would have already been done long ago.

Has anybody told you that cities and states across this country are having huge budget problems?

You might want to do some research and find out what prison guards think about your harsh conditions for inmates. I'm sure you'd be completely stunned. Oh, well, just dream on, about the "new HARSH prisons" you think we should build.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes, I object to the right wing philosophy of judging criminals, gays, non-Christians, immigrants, non-English speakers, Europeans, drug users, welfare recipients and others without any compassion or empathy.

And again, you didn't find anything in my post that said I support criminals and crime. You tried some false logical syllogism, but can't find anything I said that supports the ridiculous claim that I support crime and criminals.
This is where you stumble over yourself. You lump the conservative view of dealing with criminals in with other social issues. The problem with that is that you actually agree with us (me) on crime and punishment. As such, its nonsense for you to try to lump your other gripes in with crime and punishment in order to say you don't agree with us. Because that's exactly what you're doing. Anything to conclude that you don't share the same view as a conservative, when its clear as day that you actually do share our view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies