Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did America Overreact with 9/11
YES 32 28.57%
NO 77 68.75%
NOT SURE 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:27 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bily Lovec View Post
we underreacted.
its hell being civilized.
our troops in the field are unable to do the business required when dealing with subhumans.
50 years ago we wouldnt be worried about civilian casualties, who actually arent innocent when they are aiding and abetting the enemy.
Americans are civilized? What about murder, rape and torture (like waterboarding, electroshock) at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo? It is estimated that 90% of the prisoners at Abu Ghraid were innocent. The same goes for Guantanamo. Well executed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,024,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It was an act of war by terrorists.

As for why 3 buildings collapsed, let's not get into that "government was behind it" nonsense, okay? They collapsed because fire weakened the structure.
I never said "the government was behind it", but others are saying it.
There are terrorists all over this planet: Iraq, Afghanistan,
Saudi Arabia, Somalia, London, Canada, Greece, Israel, Yemen, Pakistan, United States, etc. You get the picture. Is the US to go to war with every country that harbors terrorists that hate the US. That would be a tall order, in deed.

9/11 was a tragedy. But the loss of even 3000 Americans, by a select group of terrorists, does not equate invading a country.

"US Secretary of State Colin Powell addressed the United Nations General Assembly in February 2003, continuing US efforts to gain UN authorization for an invasion. Powell presented evidence alleging that Iraq was actively producing chemical and biological weapons and had ties to al-Qaeda" This has all been discredited.

The decision to invade was widely unpopular worldwide, and opposition to the invasion coalesced on February 15 2003 in a worldwide anti-war protest that attracted between six and ten million people in more than 800 cities, the largest such protest in human history.

A former top aide to Colin Powell says his involvement in the former secretary of state's presentation to the United Nations on Iraq's weapons of mass destruction was "the lowest point" in his life.

"I wish I had not been involved in it," says Col. Lawrence Wilkerson, a longtime Powell adviser who served as his chief of staff from 2002 through 2005. "I look back on it, and I still say it was the lowest point in my life."

George Bush Jr. has stated "When we look back at history,
Iraq will just be a comma."

To date:
Iraq US troops killed 4,414
US troops Injured 31,882
Total killed 900,338
Total injured 1,690,903

Afghanistan US troops killed 1,140
US troops injured 2,316
Total killed 19,629
Total injured 48,644

You've heard the saying:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Well I for one, can clearly see. Too bad our government and anyone that supports these wars, refuses to.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:38 PM

448 posts, read 534,254 times
Hell yes people overreacted. People need to quit bitching about it today too. It happened and it's over. Sack up.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:57 PM

59 posts, read 51,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Hell yes people overreacted. People need to quit bitching about it today too. It happened and it's over. Sack up.
Wow, sack up. Next time someone in your family dies I want you to look in the mirror and repeat what you just posted to yourself.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:02 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
In a Newsweek article Fareed Zakaria wrote;

'What has America lost'

"It's clear we overreacted to 9/11"

Zakaria: Why America Overreacted to 9/11 - Newsweek
I am curious as to just what acts would require a response from us? Those two buildings full of human beings did it for me. If we had flown two planes into buildings in the middle east, do you think they would respond?

Old 09-09-2010, 01:49 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
It is interesting to see the reasoning between those that think there was under reaction and those that think there was over reaction.

The under reaction crowd think so because our troops can't fight as ruthless as the enemy to win supposedly. They think we should war the entire middle east.

The over reaction crowd (like me) believe we charged off to war based on emotion and a over inflated sense of pride/nationalism with little long term thought. What should have been a select strike on terrorists turned to a crusade and nation building using the excuse of "bringing democracy".

Old 09-09-2010, 01:52 PM

874 posts, read 1,660,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It is interesting to see the reasoning between those that think there was under reaction and those that think there was over reaction.

The under reaction crowd think so because our troops can't fight as ruthless as the enemy to win supposedly. They think we should war the entire middle east.

The over reaction crowd (like me) believe we charged off to war based on emotion and a over inflated sense of pride/nationalism with little long term thought. What should have been a select strike on terrorists turned to a crusade and nation building using the excuse of "bringing democracy".
Well, do you think if we had done a select strike we would have gotten those responsible? I don't really know how those kinds of things work, so I'm asking.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Americans are civilized? What about murder, rape and torture (like waterboarding, electroshock) at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo? It is estimated that 90% of the prisoners at Abu Ghraid were innocent. The same goes for Guantanamo. Well executed!
Which is an excellent example of why they won. Our so called leaders decided that the ends determins the means, always a very very slipprey sloop idea. Remember the torture that was done at Abu Ghraib, Grantanamo, and in unknown locations is being done in the name of our security and in our name.

I don't approve. But you know, nobody ASK me. I can say I don't like it all I want but will that stop things? All the publicity has driven it to places where there are no cameras. This is what we are becoming. Quite sad, I think.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:01 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Well, do you think if we had done a select strike we would have gotten those responsible? I don't really know how those kinds of things work, so I'm asking.

It is not even totally clear who was responsible. Saudis were involved yet we did nothing about that. Obviously Bin laden and his band were, it was right to go to Afghanistan and confront him and the taliban but instead we stayed , we should have attacked, sent a message and left. Then there is Pakistan who plays both sides. Then there is the entire middle east who I think we miscalculated on.

As far as Iraq, there could have other ways to get Sadam without taking over the entire country plus the fact that most Americans don't understand the true culture differences over there. We thought they all wanted democracy and would see us as liberators.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Problem is it ISN'T over. What it created is going on today. People are dying in wars that didn't need to. The government is legally encroaching further and further into our privacy based on laws passed thanks to 9-11.

We can disengage from the wars and reestablish the laws as they existed before 9-11. If we are to stop this freighttrain thats rushing off into a dark tunnel, taking what we WERE with it, thats what it may take. But with the great amount of sheep out there and the haters who seem to get jollies from their hating there are so many roadblocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies