Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did America Overreact with 9/11
YES 32 28.57%
NO 77 68.75%
NOT SURE 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM

448 posts, read 534,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drudger View Post
I just don't understand your logic on this one. That's like telling the Jews to get over WWII. I mean it's been over 50 years so get over it!
That's what I'm saying bud! It's like anything in history, I don't see to many African Americans still complaining about slavery. Do you? People need to get over things...it's the past...look forward for Christ sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 11:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
I'd saying wiping out about 100k Iraqis and creating a terror state smack dab in the middle of the frying pan could safely be called "overdoing it."

Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,961,100 times
Yes, the country overreacted in almost every way possible.

Externally, the answer was not wars, but instead precise hits on key people, much like Israel does when it's not overreacting. That didn't happen. Instead, you invade a country of 26 million people to squash a group that numbered in the mere hundreds. And then Iraq, for god only knows what reason.

Internally, there was overreaction. Remember when people in the middle of nowhere were stocking up on duct tape to seal their homes shut? PLEASE. In doing things like that, the terrorists win. That's why they're called terrorists - they want you to be afraid.

What America needed was a grieving period and then a plan.

Instead trotting out the cliche "they hate us for our freedom," there needed to be of an in depth look at why certain groups might hate the us, and then find ways to detach ourselves from them completely. And yes, this includes Saudi Arabia, where almost all of the hijackers were born. But that requires too much thinking and an admittance of culpability on our part, so it never happened.

Borders needed to be beefed up, immediately. The government should know the names and backgrounds of everybody coming into the country. This eventually happened, but not to the degree it should have.

What happened instead? Wars that accomplished nothing. Something like 800,000 people have security clearances of various levels with the federal government and it's not all accounted for. Our phone conversations can be recorded at any time, without our consent. THAT is an overreaction, and a stupid one at that.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 AM

59 posts, read 51,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
That's what I'm saying bud! It's like anything in history, I don't see to many African Americans still complaining about slavery. Do you? People need to get over things...it's the past...look forward for Christ sake.
What?!

Now I know you're just F'n with me.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,221 times
I had my reservations about this thread, opening it. I had my reservations about reading the article cuz it was from Newsweek.

I'm glad I did both. Very thought provoking read. Thank you for sharing.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
i million dead iraqi's.
i would call it even.
the obvious question is why did we not catch and execute bin laden. the answer is bek we dont want to.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i million dead iraqi's.
i would call it even.
the obvious question is why did we not catch and execute bin laden. the answer is bek we dont want to.
My opinion, is that the Patriot Act is a heavy price to pay.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 AM

59 posts, read 51,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i million dead iraqi's.
i would call it even.
A million huh? Well, like most lefties you’re only 1000% wrong
Iraq Body Count

Last edited by Drudger; 09-10-2010 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: I'm a badass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies