Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did America Overreact with 9/11
YES 32 28.57%
NO 77 68.75%
NOT SURE 3 2.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:06 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,373,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Actually, the Bush Administration deliberately facilitated an overreaction for war profiteering

19 thugs in planes; invade a whole nation - yep, makes
sense to me
What happened on 9/11 was an act of war. It goes far beyond "19 thugs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM

59 posts, read 51,683 times
Heck no we didn't. Turn that sand into one big sheet of glass for all I care.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:29 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Actually, the Bush Administration deliberately facilitated an overreaction for war profiteering

19 thugs in planes; invade a whole nation - yep, makes
sense to me
Bada-boom. Bada-bing. That's it in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I look at the world we have today and the effect on the psyche of our general populas, I sadly have to say that they won. We have two wars which did not need to be. We have dead and maimed and damaged young men and women who did not need to be. We have the Patriot Act which has laid the basis of stripping away our freedoms so we'll be "safe" and nobody has the guts to end.

Isn't this what they wanted? To disrupt our way of life, to change our thinking and to change our preceptions of what WE meant? Every time we tortured someone or held them without legal considerations or sent someone to a place they'd do it for us we let them win.

When you talk to someone on the phone, someone could be listening and nobody has to tell your. There is a log of everything you say online. We see new inroads like letting the police put gps on your car in the driveway "just in case" (they need no justification).

We were not a perfect society and 9-11 was a huge act of murder, but what its done to us since has been far more destructive. The saddest part is that we sit and say but its for our good. Or if we see through that, how do you stop it? We can speak out but with so many sheep who think its a good idea who hears?

They made us afraid of being ourselves and in that way they won.
SAD. TRUE. FACT. Not only being ourselves, but have divided us and pitted us against each other. Typical by the book. Then one says... 'hook line and sinker'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I did. If the war in Iraq wasn't a text book case of overreaching I don't know what the hell was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What happened on 9/11 was an act of war. It goes far beyond "19 thugs."
Oh it's so much worse. All it took was one thug with a bunch of like-minded, war mongering, profiteering, bureaucratic, morons with nothing in mind but their bank accounts. Yippeeeeeeee. Jackwagons.

America didn't overreact, our government did. And overreact is,
IMO, a false statement. It was set-up.

UH-OH... Big, thick, black choppers in the air.................................. ...................................:shoc ked:......................!

Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,374,846 times
As far as Iraq goes I think 911 was an excuse to get some pay back but as far as Afghanistan goes we way under reacted we should had leveled the mountians, we should have sent a message to the world not to ever mess with us again. Honestly we have become an embarrasment because we did not get to the source, yeah i say we way under reacted.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 PM

874 posts, read 1,662,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When I look at the world we have today and the effect on the psyche of our general populas, I sadly have to say that they won. We have two wars which did not need to be. We have dead and maimed and damaged young men and women who did not need to be. We have the Patriot Act which has laid the basis of stripping away our freedoms so we'll be "safe" and nobody has the guts to end.

Isn't this what they wanted? To disrupt our way of life, to change our thinking and to change our preceptions of what WE meant? Every time we tortured someone or held them without legal considerations or sent someone to a place they'd do it for us we let them win.

When you talk to someone on the phone, someone could be listening and nobody has to tell your. There is a log of everything you say online. We see new inroads like letting the police put gps on your car in the driveway "just in case" (they need no justification).

We were not a perfect society and 9-11 was a huge act of murder, but what its done to us since has been far more destructive. The saddest part is that we sit and say but its for our good. Or if we see through that, how do you stop it? We can speak out but with so many sheep who think its a good idea who hears?

They made us afraid of being ourselves and in that way they won.
Thank you for the thoughtful post. I have a few questions though.

I don't like the Patriot Act either, but what would you propose as an alternative?

Why don't you think the invasion in Afghanistan was justified? What would you have proposed as an alternative?

How should we keep ourselves safe from terrorism?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:39 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,795,444 times
And by the poll numbers so far, "people ju't love to kiack dem sum ass. Bubba, past me anudda bur (beer). Kick 'at cat on yur way o't da dour' too', people just seem to love the blood that comes from not believing the way others do. If someone is a threat these days, it's fairly simple to just leave them be.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
As far as Iraq goes I think 911 was an excuse to get some pay back but as far as Afghanistan goes we way under reacted we should had leveled the mountians, we should have sent a message to the world not to ever mess with us again. Honestly we have become an embarrasment because we did not get to the source, yeah i say we way under reacted.
While I don't take such a Dr. Strangelove approach to the Afghan situation, I will certainly agree with the overall tenor of your post.

The simplest strategy for Afghanistan was to roll in pretty much in the manner that we did, withdraw and serve notice that if al Qaeda was offered safe haven again we would return and do it all over again. While I would love to rid the world of the Talibans that inhabit it, that shouldn't be our raison d'etre.

None the less the overreach evidenced by the invasion of Iraq precluded any resolution of the problem in Afghanistan which is indicative of any overreach, forgetting what the main problem is by hyperizing(sic) a problem that didn't exist.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:54 PM

874 posts, read 1,662,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
And by the poll numbers so far, "people ju't love to kiack dem sum ass. Bubba, past me anudda bur (beer). Kick 'at cat on yur way o't da dour' too', people just seem to love the blood that comes from not believing the way others do. If someone is a threat these days, it's fairly simple to just leave them be.
What do you mean by "if someone is a threat"?

Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,373,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Oh it's so much worse. All it took was one thug with a bunch of like-minded, war mongering, profiteering, bureaucratic, morons with nothing in mind but their bank accounts. Yippeeeeeeee. Jackwagons.

America didn't overreact, our government did. And overreact is,
IMO, a false statement. It was set-up.

UH-OH... Big, thick, black choppers in the air.................................. ...................................:shoc ked:......................!
I'll repeat... the 9/11 attacks were an act of war.

Who were the "war-mongers?" Was it Pres. Clinton and Congress who, back in 1998, voted for regime change in Iraq?

Old 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,108,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'll repeat... the 9/11 attacks were an act of war.

Who were the "war-mongers?" Was it Pres. Clinton and Congress who, back in 1998, voted for regime change in Iraq?
Nah, it's was Bush 41, DefSec Rumsfeld and VP (5-deferment)Cheney who not only worked in Iraq, but in Iran as well profiting and enriching both of those country's as well as selling them damaging U.S. technology and secrets for Nuclear power.

Please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies