Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Hey hey hey -- we have way more military bases in California (26) than you have in Alaska (7), so I think I'll be taking my money back without the burden of the additional bases, thankyouverymuch.
Oh come on, take them. That way I can go into Fred Meyer in Fairbanks without being run over military wives et al.

I don't know that the average Alaskan citizen really benefits from y'alls tax dollars. The road out in front of my house ain't even paved. Doggone it I think y'all should start paying more. While you're shelling it out don't forget that bridge. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:46 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

FWIW, President 0bama did not finish his term as a Illinois State Senator, nor did he finish his term as a US Senator, even after he promised he would. And from all the vacations he has been taking as of late, maybe he wishes he could quit his term as president early too.
FWIW, that's a blatant distortion of the facts. Barack Obama was first elected to the Illinois Senate in 1996, then re-elected in 1998, then re-elected AGAIN in 2002, before running for the U.S. Senate.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,442,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post

Oh come on, take them. That way I can go into Fred Meyer in Fairbanks without being run over military wives et al.

I don't know that the average Alaskan citizen really benefits from y'alls tax dollars. The road out in front of my house ain't even paved. Doggone it I think y'all should start paying more. While you're shelling it out don't forget that bridge. Thanks in advance.
Well damn, girl, what kind of Governor would leave you with unpaved roads? But hey, I should at least thank you for watching the skies for when Putin rears his head and comes into our air space, so thanks for that! Now gimme back my money.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM

Jill, we have a lot of federal stuff here in Alaska. More than half of the land here is federal land. We have more military bases per capita than anywhere else. We have a very small population base so I'm sure our collective federal taxes don't amount to much. Maybe if more people would move up here and pay federal taxes it would help us out some.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
Quote:
Hey hey hey -- we have way more military bases in California (26) than you have in Alaska (7), so I think I'll be taking my money back without the burden of the additional bases, thankyouverymuch.
Alaska - - Total Area 663,268 sq mi or 1 base per 9,475 sq miles.

California - - Total Area 163,696 sq mi or 1 base per 6,063 sq miles.

What do you have against our National Defense? I suppose you'd rather have more bases on fronts that aren't as strategically positioned, like Iowa?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:00 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
The Biggest US Welfare States

Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
I nominate this entry for inclusion in the Urban Dictionary under "Palin Derangement Syndrome: examples".
You can almost hear her shrill, screeching voice, from all those words in caps.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,029 times
This thread is ridiculous. When the OP or anyone else calls out palin, the Palin cults have nothing better to come up with except "I love the way she scares libs" or do something to attack whatever state is being defended. As many of you ignored, there were conservatives in this thread posting about how they themselves don't like Palin and yet the Palin cult goes after the Liberals still. I could say the same damn thing. I love Obama because he pisses off the right. GROW UP!

Old 09-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Well damn, girl, what kind of Governor would leave you with unpaved roads? But hey, I should at least thank you for watching the skies for when Putin rears his head and comes into our air space, so thanks for that! Now gimme back my money.
I might have 95 cents or so in the ashtray of my fish truck; soon as I can afford one of those fancy airmails stamps I'll see about getting it on it's way.

I think we don't have no paved roads and such because the ex gov. didn't know our island is part of the state of Alaska, thought we were Africa I guess.

Tell ya what. The winter before last, the people of the Yukon Delta were in literal crisis mode. A carton of eggs cost $22. There were no salmon for them that year because of some pesky little federal regulations.

The governor was chasing every camera in site while the people had no pork chops to eat.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:09 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Hmm - that sounds out of line with what I've read elsewhere. Do you have a cite?
Of course, or I would not have posted it.

This is the website for the Consolidated Federal Funds Report, which tracks every penny in spending by the federal government and distributed to the states:

Consolidated Federal Funds Report

This is the IRS link, which shows every penny of taxes paid to the federal government for all categories (income, corporate, excise, etc.) in Excel format;

SOI Tax Stats - Internal Revenue Gross Collections, by Type of Tax and State, Fiscal Year - IRS Data Book Table 5 (http://www.irs.gov/taxstats/article/0,,id=206488,00.html - broken link)

(These are the sources used by the tax foundation, so whatever you "read elsewhere" is wrong)

Last year California took in $345 billion dollars, and paid $264 billion in taxes. That is a ratio of $1.31 for every $1.00, and it means California alone was responsible for adding $81 billion to the national debt in 2009.

Alaska took in $14 billion in federal funds and paid $4.6 billion in taxes, which is a far worse ratio, $3.04 for every $1.00. However, Alaska is excused since nearly 39% of their government funds is military related vs. 16% for California. Even if we excluded military spending, California would still be in the hole $50 billion. Alaska barely has 700,000 people which is not much of a tax base to begin with.

Just for fun, Hawaii takes in nearly 4x as much as it gives and Delaware has the lowest ratio at $0.59 per every $1.00. States with the best balance (within $0.10 of $1.00) are; Arkansas, Nebraska, New York, Illinois, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Ohio.

Last edited by Frankie117; 09-10-2010 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: fixed typo in dollar amount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies