Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 AM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Tea bagging hasn't been about any of that, it is all about power grab. The constitution is just fine, the government could be better but the tea baggers are hell bent on extremism, a step towards fascism masquerading as "patriots" (Hitler did that). Don't believe me? Don't. You just might catchup with the realities someday.
This thread is about the Tea Party, not "teabaggers." Try to stay on topic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:21 AM

767 posts, read 490,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Actually, many of them did criticize Bush for overspending. Even Sean Hannity criticized Bush frequently on that subject.
Hannity criticized Bush frequently, while he was in office?? You have to be kidding me. Show me proof.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:06 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Where in Angle's platform is there any indication that she intends to force her personal beliefs on anyone? She's entitled to any personal beliefs she chooses to embrace. Your objections to the contrary are yet another example of "tolerance and diversity" as preached by liberals only applying to fellow liberals.
Actually is directly from the website: Sharron Angle for U.S. Senate | Official Site (http://sharronangle.com/issues - broken link)

Quote:
Family Values

Sharron Angle recognizes the traditional family as the foundation of America's society.

Sharron worked to pass the Constitutional Protection of Marriage Act in Nevada, which defines marriage as between one man and one woman. Sharron Angle has been endorsed by Family PAC Federal and Concerned Women for America.
Also Sharon Angle as come out publically as being anti-choice in terms of a woman's ability to get an abortion, even of a pregnancy is by rape. In her own words if these happen then "God has plan" and she doesn't believe a woman should get an abortion in such circumstances. You can bet if she gets into the Senate and has enough support she push for more restrictive access to abortions.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
His mom is white, his dad is black.
This is absolutely true. However when filling out his 2010 Census form under race he selected "Black or African-American".

Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,107,081 times
Quote:
I know you all get your same talking points from MoveOn, I mean, you all even use the same exact verbiage, you could be a little more subtle, but anyway:

What is so extreme about

Following the constitution
Smaller debt
Less taxes
Less gov in our life

I'd like specifics, not "O'Donnell believes that masturbation is wrong", many people of all political persuasions do and it's not something that can be legislated anyway, so lets rule that one out. I want to know specifically what is "extreme" about our beliefs?
Extremism is based on the stance of the majority of the country and how far you are from it.

When you state it the way you have, of course it doesn't sound so extreme.

I'm sure you paint Obama as an extremist. tell me whats so extreme about:

Being paid a liveable wage for your work.
People being able to take care of themselves without resorting to criminal means.
Making sure other people can't abuse you or take advantage of you in their pursuit of money or power.

See mine don't sound extreme either.

I don't know a lot about O'donnell, but I don't think people should be elected by using simple catch phrases like "smaller government" and "lower taxes". State exactly what you will do. What do we lose to get those tax cuts. The devil is in the details.

Also if O'donnell is for less spending, where was she to oppose iraq and Afghanistan. I see plenty of clips from her in the 90s popping up, did she just take a decade long vacation?

Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,041,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
When you state it the way you have, of course it doesn't sound so extreme.
That is 100% correct. In her broad brush generalizations, she has inadvertently turned the tea party movement into, well, nothing. In five pages the only thing I walk away with is that she wants lower taxes and less debt. As does every sane Republican, every sane Democrat and every sane Independent. As it has been mentioned many times in this thread, the devil is in the details. The true merit of a rebuttal is substance, not deflection. This thread contains more deflection than any I have seen in months.

To answer the original question of what I find extreme about the tea party movement, I offer this video

YouTube - Moses - Ten Commandments - Mel Brooks

Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
All of my responses are bolded, italicized and underlined.
High school? This happened approximately 20 years ago, when she was in college.

You know, Robert Bryd renounced his KKK membership at least 50 years ago, and the RW is still carrying on about it. I personally think something that happened 20 years ago should be loooked at in context, but apparently, when the shoe is on the other foot, the RW does not.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,598,098 times
Default the Tea Party is extreme because it is corporatist, NOT grassroots

The Tea Party is also extreme because it is not grassroots (the people), it is astroturf (supported by corporations.) This is the exact OPPOSITE of the original Boston Tea Party that was protesting the monopoly of British East India Company and its corruption of British Monarchy against the colonists.

Media Spreads Tea Party Leaders as

"Media Spreads Tea Party Leaders as “Anti-Establishment” Myth
Written by Adam Bessie Sep 16, 2010

The Tea Party mythology – that it is a grassroots, “insurgent” movement bent on overthrowing the “establishment” – has taken root in the corporate and even independent liberal media, largely because of the Herculean efforts by conservative think tanks, media sources, and big corporate funding (as I discussed in the last essay in this series, Lisbeth Salander: The Dark Metal Sarah Palin)..."

Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,050,602 times
Quote:
I know you all get your same talking points from MoveOn, I mean, you all even use the same exact verbiage, you could be a little more subtle, but anyway:

What is so extreme about

Smaller debt
Less taxes
Less gov in our life

I'd like specifics, not "O'Donnell believes that masturbation is wrong", many people of all political persuasions do and it's not something that can be legislated anyway, so lets rule that one out. I want to know specifically what is "extreme" about our beliefs?
That voodoo, witch doctor chick from Dela does not give a damn about the Constitution or having less gubmint intrusion into our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
What the F**K???!!

I thought the party people were about getting gubmint out of everybody's business?!!

"Newly elected Republican Senatorial candidate Christine O'Donnell has raised eyebrows in her brief turn in the public spotlight by promoting a position on cultural issues that borders on the extreme or the bizarre. By and large, however, her political platforms have been characterized as, basically, movement conservatism.

More broadly, she condemned lawmakers for fostering a pop culture that encouraged sexual harassment.

"We sit there and scratch our heads and wonder why sexual harassment is out of control in this country. It is because we are setting a precedent through our pop culture, through the songs that penetrate the airwaves and the sitcoms that are on television that are just saturated with sexual themes, that respect no boundaries," she said. "We need to just do a U-Haul of our pop culture. I think legislators, Hollywood film producers all need to reevaluate why they are doing what they are doing... We end up feeding a demon, feeding a monster and we are feeding this appetite so much that our generation is going to self-destruct quite honestly."

It's far from rare for a lawmaker to bring his or her religious or cultural convictions into politics. O'Donnell's theories on Hollywood and welfare, moreover, are echoed by others within the conservative movement."

So much for "limited gubbermint".
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
"Dig a little deeper into her past record, however, and one gets the sense that O'Donnell's legislative outlook is basically scripted by her social and religious views. In a C-SPAN appearance the Huffington Post unearthed from December 1996, the Delaware Republican said it was a "misconception that you, quote unquote, can't legislate morality."

"The reality of that statement is that if you don't legislate one morality then you are legislating somebody else's morality," she said. "So you can't get around legislating morality."

Old 09-21-2010, 09:43 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,834,402 times
Quote:

What is so extreme about

Smaller debt
Less taxes
Less gov in our life

less gov in our life =states rights which MLK did not stand for, andall the others are lies republicans have spent spent spent=no tea party

most tea partiers do not know anything about the constitution
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies