Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 08:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article:

A few months ago, researchers at the University of Michigan issued a study reporting that today’s college students display significantly less empathy than their peers from 30 years ago. Their data showed that the decline had grown precipitously in the last 10 years. They speculated that overexposure to media had desensitized an entire generation.

College students may be lacking in empathy, study finds | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Anti-Gay Bullying, Suicide and the Need for Empathy | Teaching Tolerance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Legal or otherwise, the issue here is PRIVACY.

Was the kid's privacy invaded?

I see a civil suit against the cameraman.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:00 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,345,632 times
From what I've gathered from this story and the two people that were involved in posting the video, I don't see this as a case where the guy was being bullied for being gay.

I think the students probably thought it would be a funny prank without really thinking about the consequences of their actions. I'm will to bet they have much regret and shame for what has happened, but unfortunately for them their lives are never going to be the same.

They'll have to pay for whatever crimes they did commit, though I doubt any kind of manslaughter or hate crimes will stick in this case, and they'll have to live with the fact that someone took their life because of their actions for the rest of their lives.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
In your own home?
yes, even in your own home. That's how they get the perverts who ide cameras in their bathroom to record their guest or hide cameras in their children's bedroom for when their friends stay for a sleep over or to change for a swim party.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird82 View Post
From what I've gathered from this story and the two people that were involved in posting the video, I don't see this as a case where the guy was being bullied for being gay.

I think the students probably thought it would be a funny prank without really thinking about the consequences of their actions. I'm will to bet they have much regret and shame for what has happened, but unfortunately for them their lives are never going to be the same.

They'll have to pay for whatever crimes they did commit, though I doubt any kind of manslaughter or hate crimes will stick in this case, and they'll have to live with the fact that someone took their life because of their actions for the rest of their lives.
This is the way I interpreted it too; Great post

Old 09-30-2010, 11:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Legal or otherwise, the issue here is PRIVACY.

Was the kid's privacy invaded?

I see a civil suit against the cameraman.
Oh good. Civil suit against a college kid who doesn't have anything. Can't go after the parents, kid is an adult. So, who will the family go after? The school. Deep pockets my friend, which will mean ALL of us will pay; yep, good ole taxes/fees will go up to pay for the civil suit.

Isn't this country wonderful?

Old 09-30-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Really? The the title, look at the top of your screen. Typing goodbye on Facebook, then jumping out a window doesn't signify mental illness?
Suicide is illegal in some states.

Maybe he should be prosecuted and convicted postmortem.

Answers.com - Why is it illegal for people to kill themselves

Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Suicide is illegal in some states.

Maybe he should be prosecuted and convicted postmortem.

Answers.com - Why is it illegal for people to kill themselves
It's illegal to attempt to commit suicide. If he/she succeeds, then it's perfectly legal. If it isn't legal, then please show me a case in which the person who successfully committed suicide was arrested, tried, and convicted.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It's illegal to attempt to commit suicide. If he/she succeeds, then it's perfectly legal. If it isn't legal, then please show me a case in which the person who successfully committed suicide was arrested, tried, and convicted.
Most suicide perpetrators get off on the insanity plea.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Most suicide perpetrators get off on the insanity plea.
those are the ones who "attempted" suicide. I asked about those who succeeded in their suicide attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies