Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're sure, huh? Do you have a crystal ball? Do you think they thought ahead? Not likely. (And to think some people want to lower the drinking age to let people like this use alcohol.)
Katiana, you're saying the exact same thing the poster did. They probably thought it'd be funny and they had to know on some level that this would embarrass him - you don't need a crystal ball to see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Tragic, and I feel sorry for the guys family and the other man he was with when they were filmed. They will suffer the most in this.

It looks like, from the New Jersey statues posted here, that they will in all likely hood get off with a slap on the wrist(Jail for a year or less would be my guess, no prison), which I, actually, agree with. I don't think it is fair to say that he had a reasonable expectation of privacy in a room he shared with others. While common courtesy and generally accepted morals might dictate that one shouldn't film others in private acts, regardless of the location, common courtesy and generally accepted morals are not rules, and one should always be cautious when engaging in any act that might cause embarrassment or other negative effects.

I think it is fair to assume that he did not kill himself solely over this, but rather this was the proverbial straw.

Bad taste, yes, awful results, yes, but I think this sort of thing goes on a lot among college age people.
i know as a young man my friends and I were constantly pranking each other and causing humiliation, we sucked it up and took it like a man.
I have to agree with you. When I was in college it was common knowledge that with the popularity of camera phones "privacy" was almost unheard of. Add Youtube, Myspace, Facebook & Twitter into that combination and privacy was an urban legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But the prosecution will allege that, and thus they have to provide a defense to it.

If they plead out, it will come down to a discussion "prosecutor saying, i'm gonna get you for harassment" and they'll say "but I was only trying to prove he was a hypocrite" and then they agree on some lesser charge.. They'll HAVE to bring it up at some point.
Why would the prosecution allege malice? They're charged with invasion of privacy. 2 counts for the girlfriend, 4 counts for Ravi. It's a slam-dunk for the prosecution because Ravi twittered about it. Malice isn't a factor.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:30 PM

18,476 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,
This brillant young man was raped to the fullest. I believe these 2 should be charged with murder, have there picutres of there naked bodies on the web for all to see and not be allowed to use a computer ever again. This is past the point of a joke.
My heart goes out to his family. I wish them speedy recovery of a great lost.
Be Blessed

Thank you, I couldn't have of said it better. Such a shame, I am sorry for the family of the boy.

The other 2 should kids just rot in prison.
But at least, I would hope that their parents are totally hummiliated because of their actions.

I would rep ya more, but it will not let me!!

Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I am a retired junior high school teacher in liberal Massachusetts. For what it's worth, I also served in the Marine Corps as well as the U.S. Army. The almost daily cruelties and indignities I either witnessed or heard about in the schools rivaled the calculated insults and humiliations inflicted on us teenage Marine recruits...at least in terms of the utter disregard for the feelings of those being tormented. I noticed as my teaching career progressed the number of students who could answer my question as to what is the "Golden Rule" continued to decline year after year to the point that by the time I retired-three years ago-two or three students out of twenty or so could answer the question. The rest were clueless. I think those who have decried the removal of God from the public square are probably exactly right. The marginalization of people of faith, the ridicule and belittling of the clergy and believers has had disastrous results for our country and our culture. Those two pathetic teenagers who subjected their classmate to such horrendous treatment probably know the basic rule of civilized life, but their amoral, sneering, contempt for the old ways of thinking wouldn't allow them to practice what their parents and grandparents did by instinct.
sarah fan2012 3:25 PM
Absolute rubbish. This has nothing to do with your God. I notice in your chain email that the Golden Rule only applies to people of faith? What about atheists, people of color, people of different nationalities or sexual orientations or political beliefs. I am so tired of this double standard. Either you truly believe in the Golden Rule, or you don't, you can't be selective.

I am an atheist. My children have been brought up to be respectful of others, and treat others kindly. This has nothing to do with the removal of your God from the public square, this has to do with parents being parents and not enabling bullies, and as has been demonstarted on this thread, the growing trend of blaming the victim is shameful. These kids are punks, what they did was wrong.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Absolute rubbish. This has nothing to do with your God. I notice in your chain email that the Golden Rule only applies to people of faith? What about atheists, people of color, people of different nationalities or sexual orientations or political beliefs. I am so tired of this double standard. Either you truly believe in the Golden Rule, or you don't, you can't be selective.

I am an atheist. My children have been brought up to be respectful of others, and treat others kindly. This has nothing to do with the removal of your God from the public square, this has to do with parents being parents and not enabling bullies, and as has been demonstarted on this thread, the growing trend of blaming the victim is shameful. These kids are punks, what they did was wrong.
The Golden Rule has never been anything more than common sense cause and effect.

The Fundies got pushy just short of having Christian Pride Parades - with the same cause and effect as any other pushy bunch.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:38 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,704 times
Default My story

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Wow, so tolerant and understanding..

how on earth could this possibly be murder?

Are you prepared to completely change the legal system around?

Not be allowed to use computers again? Any other people you would restrict free speech to, or do they have to do something against someone with darling status?

PS, it's "their"

Loss not "lost".

Greetings,

Yes they should be charged with murder, the law now days seems to be changed as the crime is commited. This young man, would be alive today if they hadn't exposed him. I dont believe in folks being gay, but they are responsible for his death.

Free Speech - I feel they have abused that right.

and since typo errors seem to be your kcik today, you could cruise this allday long to correct ti.

That is my story and I'm stickin to it. I'm not going to argue with you or anybody else.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:41 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
Quote:
Greetings,

Yes they should be charged with murder, the law now days seems to be changed as the crime is commited. This young man, would be alive today if they hadn't exposed him. I dont believe in folks being gay, but they are responsible for his death.

Free Speech - I feel they have abused that right.

and since typo errors seem to be your kcik today, you could cruise this allday long to correct ti.

That is my story and I'm stickin to it. I'm not going to argue with you or anybody else.

YOu really need to look up murder, and homocide.

How can you charge someone with murder who didn't even do anything that took someone else's life?

The guy would be alive today if they hadn't exposed him? Sure. And everyone killed in a auto accident would be still alive had the other driver not gone out. Should you charge all drivers w ith murder if the other person gets killed?

You dont' know what these legal terms mean. Murder is the unlawful killing of another person with malice aforethought.

They killed NOBODY. He killed himself, it's call a SUICIDE.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:49 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,704 times
Default Emotions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808s View Post
I am sure that while they intended to record him doing something embarrassing they did not intend for it to turn out the way it did. We would not even be talking about this case if he didn't commit suicide.

What you're calling for is something out of emotion and not law. In my opinion, charge these kids with whatever they can legally be charged with, let the do their time, and let their credit rating be forever ruined because of the wrongful death suit that will keep them from ever getting a bank loan, buying a car, house, or getting credit cards.

Assuming these kids had no prior criminal history, if I was the prosecuting attorney I definitely would not admit them into the PTI program.
Greetings,

Can you tell me who has not had some sort of emotion about this? Your on here. These kids were supppose to be educated, college students. Tell me what was there gain out of this? Sounds to me they are very cruel young people, who need to be taken out of society. If there in jail, they will see what it is like to be treated cruel, well then we dont need to worry about bank loans etc. or how they would treat there spouses or children.
I still believe this murder, he would be alive today. There responsbile for his life. I would assume the college would expell them.
Be BLessed

Old 09-30-2010, 03:51 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
Quote:
Greetings,

Can you tell me who has not had some sort of emotion about this? Your on here. These kids were supppose to be educated, college students. Tell me what was there gain out of this? Sounds to me they are very cruel young people, who need to be taken out of society. If there in jail, they will see what it is like to be treated cruel, well then we dont need to worry about bank loans etc. or how they would treat there spouses or children.
I still believe this murder, he would be alive today. There responsbile for his life. I would assume the college would expell them.
Be BLessed
They were freshmen in college.

Are they any less responsible than other freshman who do drugs, get drunk, get pregnant and have abortions?

There are people that age who are in gangs, tons of violence. Are these two worse, because they filmed someone?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
For what? He put a camera in his own dorm room. As for the suicide...did he push him off the bridge?

This was a horrible situation, and is very sad. I'm just not sure what the roommate can be prosecuted for. Is it a crime to put a camera in your own room?

Perhaps the video camera in the room was, of itself, not a prosecutable offense
but the fact that the roommate saw fit to publish the video for the eyes of the world to see,
was a serious breach or violation of the victims rights. I am wondering whether the website which posted that streaming video will ever be called upon to answer charges for their
negligence or complicity in helping to push this obviously tormented boy off of the bridge. Where are the morals of these websites who take pleasure or profit through the publishing
of video like this? Who is it that screens these videos and deems them fit or worthy of publication? Is there to be no accountability on their part, no penalty or punishment for them?
It doesn't matter if it was Skype or facebook or youtube, someone within the chain needs to account for the sad and irresponsible fact, that this video was made available to the public.

Although many people, even those here on this thread might see the internet as the greatest tool for communication, like any other contrivance of mankind, it can be used for
good or for bad. Whether it is a gun which protects us or serves to take the life of another, a car to take us from place to place or perhaps to serve as an instrument of death for those
who die at the hand of a drunken driver, there is always a measure of accountability and until we, as users of this internet, can establish a code of conduct that encompasses civil and
criminal law, we are sadly destined to see a growing number of incidents such as this. I believe that, although there may be a few "armchair lawyers" responding to this thread who seem
to feel that blame belongs to be placed upon the victim, that those responders who feel this way, may have a skewed sense of morality when focusing on the legalities without seeing
the bigger picture, that a young man is dead because of a sense of embarrassment brought about by the sinister thoughtlessness of a fellow student. I hope that Dharun Ravi has a bit of
conscience because if he does, he will be righteously consigned to a lifetime of torment for the shameful thing that he has done. Ravi has made his own bed and I can only hope that he sleeps
restlessly in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies