Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
The question is forseeability. Would a normal, objective person have killed themself over this? No.
Why is the question forseeability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:15 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why is the question forseeability?
Because if the family, etc try to sue the roommate, foreeability is an issue if you allege negligence. They will want to allege a negligent act resulting in the death, and for that, you need to prove proximate cause. It is not forseeable that someone in this day and age would commit suicide over a sex video.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
Something tells me had it been a conservative religious figure being filmed without his permission, you wouldn't be shouting about privacy being invaded.
Would the law have suddenly changed under those circumstances? Would I be shouting about his privacy being invaded? Yes. Would I be laughing at the lie they had been caught in? Yes. Let's not forget "people in glass houses" which does not apply to this topic.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
So you're a psychic who can see into the future, as well as a lawyer, hmmm? You actually don't know what anyone would say or do in your imaginary scenarios, because you don't actually know any of us. You're just trying to use innuendo to discredit people. Not a very nice thing to do. Not a very good argumentative strategy, either.
So because a camera was used, it suddenly becomes a horrible thing, instead of a person to a private event later ratting on the other person? That's somehow a noble thing to do?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Would the law have suddenly changed under those circumstances? Would I be shouting about his privacy being invaded? Yes. Would I be laughing at the lie they had been caught in? Yes. Let's not forget "people in glass houses" which does not apply to this topic.
So you admit you would be laughing at a pastor who was filmed having gay sex and who kills himself, because he's a hypocrite. That doesn't sound like you are that outraged about his violation of privacy or the loss of his life.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
So you admit you would be laughing at a pastor who was filmed having gay sex and who kills himself, because he's a hypocrite. That doesn't sound like you are that outraged about his violation of privacy or the loss of his life.
In your scenario you did not say someone who killed themselves. Do NOT twist my words.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Because if the family, etc try to sue the roommate, foreeability is an issue if you allege negligence. They will want to allege a negligent act resulting in the death, and for that, you need to prove proximate cause. It is not forseeable that someone in this day and age would commit suicide over a sex video.
IF the family tries to sue the roommate, then forseeability becomes an issue. But for the purposes of the discussion on this thread, why would forseeability be an issue?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
In your scenario you did not say someone who killed themselves. Do NOT twist my words.
Was not the original situation the guy kills himself? I changed the scenario where he was an anti gay pastor. You know what I am talking about.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So because a camera was used, it suddenly becomes a horrible thing, instead of a person to a private event later ratting on the other person? That's somehow a noble thing to do?
A camera was used, and the incident was made available to millions of viewers. So, in terms of scale, the invasion of privacy in this case was indeed much greater than gossip about another person. I'm not sure what you are referring to as a "noble" act? I characterized the entire situation as a TRAGEDY all round, and never even intimated that anyone has acted nobly in this situation.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I do not see where the poster you quoted said that. Of course broadcasting something over the WWW is "worse" than simply telling your other dormmates. Anyone with access to the web can see it.

As a health professional, I have a really hard time with these suicide threads. Many people on this thread are demonstrating that they don't know jack about suicide.

I think this event is terribly sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies