Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 12:43 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,238,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
The majority of things that are labeled as "hate crimes" aren't really hate crimes, which is why the whole thought process behind "hate crimes" is becoming ineffective.
I have not much issue with "hate crimes" that involve violence. But then you have stuff where liberals will accuse people of hate crimes that are non violent, like burning a koran or something. They want to limit free speech by alleging hate crimes.

no act of violence took place in this instance. He was filmed. That is NOT anything remotely close to a hate crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Why would they completely distort it though? Maybe the roomate suspected the guy was gay, or the guy was denying he was gay, maybe even saying bad things about gays, and he filmed him to show he was a hypocrite? We simply don't know why it was done, but to come out and shout hate crime. Would it not have been a hate crime had he not killed himself? The irrational action of the person determines if it's hate or not?

They're hurting themselves by making such a foolish statement.

Would it be a hatecrime had he been straight and they filmed straight sex and he still killed himself?
They have a different perspective. We each have our own peculiar perspectives on the world, and we evaluate the world around us based on those perspectives. As I said, I think the roommate acted the way he did because he had the access to do so, not because he hated this poor kid for any reason. He was, as young people often are, so wrapped up in himself and what he perceived as fun, that he failed to consider how hurtful and distressing his actions might be. The young man who died was, as young people often are, so wrapped up in himself and what he perceived to be a painful situation, that he failed to rationally evaluate his choices. A tragedy all round.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They have a different perspective. We each have our own peculiar perspectives on the world, and we evaluate the world around us based on those perspectives. As I said, I think the roommate acted the way he did because he had the access to do so, not because he hated this poor kid for any reason. He was, as young people often are, so wrapped up in himself and what he perceived as fun, that he failed to consider how hurtful and distressing his actions might be. The young man who died was, as young people often are, so wrapped up in himself and what he perceived to be a painful situation, that he failed to rationally evaluate his choices. A tragedy all round.
But hav eyou noticed all the calls for the heads of the filmers? Had he been a straight male, there would be virtually no interest in this story, and people would say if anything, "oh well, he should have seen counselling"..

Virtually all of the sympathy comes here from the fact was he was engaged in homosexual acts...

Now what happens if the filmer says in his defense that he did it because the guy was making all of these anti homosexual comments and I wanted to prove him a hypocrite?

You realize this could get really, ugly, right?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM

228 posts, read 507,451 times
I'm surprised that since Tyler Clementi's body was found in the NYPD's jurisdiction that the district attorney didn't decide to stretch the law and charge those stupid kids with manslaughter.

In any case, what will suck for these kids is in an age where Google can bring up anyone's name or whatever, should they try to put their lives back together after prison (such that they apply for another school or try to find a job), they're pretty much marked for the next ten years. I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure they cannot be admitted into the pretrial intervention program because someone died in this case.

Best case for these kids is to plead out, save us taxpayers the expense of a trial, and maybe the judge would be lenient.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
But hav eyou noticed all the calls for the heads of the filmers? Had he been a straight male, there would be virtually no interest in this story, and people would say if anything, "oh well, he should have seen counselling"..

Virtually all of the sympathy comes here from the fact was he was engaged in homosexual acts...

Now what happens if the filmer says in his defense that he did it because the guy was making all of these anti homosexual comments and I wanted to prove him a hypocrite?

You realize this could get really, ugly, right?
People are outraged by the couple who recorded this, because we all are able to imagine ourselves vulnerable and humiliated. I don't think the sympathy has all that much to do with whether the young man filmed was homosexual or not. Obviously people who are homosexual will identify even more strongly with this young man, but all of us who are adults are certainly aware that when we are engaged in sex, that there is often an underlying ridiculousness to the sex act. Most of us are not beautiful, especially unclothed, and most of us would be mortified if what is essentially a very private act were made public. I think your imaginary scenario extremely unlikely, so I won't even bother to respond. As for this getting ugly, one young man and his girlfriend have been arrested, another young man who had a great deal of promise is dead. It's already ugly.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM

309 posts, read 1,210,443 times
Greetings,
This brillant young man was raped to the fullest. I believe these 2 should be charged with murder, have there picutres of there naked bodies on the web for all to see and not be allowed to use a computer ever again. This is past the point of a joke.
My heart goes out to his family. I wish them speedy recovery of a great lost.
Be Blessed

Old 09-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,
This brillant young man was raped to the fullest. I believe these 2 should be charged with murder, have there picutres of there naked bodies on the web for all to see and not be allowed to use a computer ever again. This is past the point of a joke.
My heart goes out to his family. I wish them speedy recovery of a great lost.
Be Blessed
Wow, so tolerant and understanding..

how on earth could this possibly be murder?

Are you prepared to completely change the legal system around?

Not be allowed to use computers again? Any other people you would restrict free speech to, or do they have to do something against someone with darling status?

PS, it's "their"

Loss not "lost".

5,696 posts, read 6,206,948 times
so very sad
hope the room mates get everything the law can throw at them
what scumb they are!

2,039 posts, read 3,279,137 times
Tragic, and I feel sorry for the guys family and the other man he was with when they were filmed. They will suffer the most in this.

It looks like, from the New Jersey statues posted here, that they will in all likely hood get off with a slap on the wrist(Jail for a year or less would be my guess, no prison), which I, actually, agree with. I don't think it is fair to say that he had a reasonable expectation of privacy in a room he shared with others. While common courtesy and generally accepted morals might dictate that one shouldn't film others in private acts, regardless of the location, common courtesy and generally accepted morals are not rules, and one should always be cautious when engaging in any act that might cause embarrassment or other negative effects.

I think it is fair to assume that he did not kill himself solely over this, but rather this was the proverbial straw.

Bad taste, yes, awful results, yes, but I think this sort of thing goes on a lot among college age people. i know as a young man my friends and I were constantly pranking each other and causing humiliation, we sucked it up and took it like a man.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:06 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Get over it. He chose to kill himself not the boys who did the prank. The prank was rude but get over it. It was their room, too.
Thats really a disgusting statement. How would you like it if i stuck a camera in ur room? Have you every heard of invasion of privacy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies