Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 04:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Blame it the WSJ - fact-checking just ain't what it used to be
I've always thought of the WSJ as a fairly reliable source of information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 05:03 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,846,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I worked at McDonald's when I was younger. A lot of those on the management track were young, college kids and only worked part-time so they didn't qualify for these benefits. You have to pretty much be the store manager to get full-time hours. But they won't tell you that upfront because the incentive is supposed to be enticing...if you knew you weren't going to get it you'd probably rethink a career in mixing the special sauce
Those in my post you quoted is for management.I think the practices of how many hours you get varies. It also depends on how high of a volume store it is.

McDonalds is what I consider jobs for a house wife that wants to earn a couple bucks while the kids are in school or kids. The adults that are not management and look at McDonalds as a career needs to accept the consequences that comes with that choice.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:06 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
I've always thought of the WSJ as a fairly reliable source of information.
It probably was before Murdoch bought it.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
The fast-food giant reportedly told federal regulators it would be “economically prohibitive”
for its insurance carriers to continue to cover hourly workers unless it gets a waiver on the 80%
requirement. It added that having “to drop our current mini-med offering would represent a huge
disruption to our 29,500 participants."

Unless regulators waive a requirement of the health-care overhaul, McDonald’s
has warned federal regulators it could drop its health insurance plan for almost 30,000 hourly workers,
The Wall Street Journal reported.

This new health insurance law sucks big time.
Employers are allowed to do that and then pay the federal government under the new healthcare law.They are not teh only ones that the new law is increasing cost to tho even if they keep the plan. My insurnace which will meet the mandates goes up 18.9% next month even with the empoloyer paying more. New empoyeees face even worse problmes as the terms to them are changing even moreespecailly if they retire before medicare.Its on thier own dime then.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
That doesn't sound constitutional.
You always can work for one of their competitors who provide better benefits.
Which would be what company?

Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM

5,993 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
People should pay out of pocket for their own medical care, not the employer and not the taxpayer/government, period.
Umm...most people can't afford the kind of money that is required for medical care these days, especially in this economy. What do you expect soemone to do who is sick? Die in the streets because they can't pay for it? Geeez where is your compassion for your fellow human being? This country is going down the drain because of attitudes like this.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:01 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Umm...most people can't afford the kind of money that is required for medical care these days, especially in this economy. What do you expect soemone to do who is sick? Die in the streets because they can't pay for it?
Let me guess, McDonald's should foot the bill for it and then pass the increased costs onto the consumer? Sorry, but I'd rather NOT pay for the fry guys health insurance.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Let me guess, McDonald's should foot the bill for it and then pass the increased costs onto the consumer? Sorry, but I'd rather NOT pay for the fry guys health insurance.
Why not? You're paying for everyone else's. The checkers at your supermarket, your doctor's, your dentist's, the people who built your car, etc.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Which would be what company?
How do I know? Jack in the Box etc, whichever provides benefits you need.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:09 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why not? You're paying for everyone else's. The checkers at your supermarket, your doctor's, your dentist's, the people who built your car, etc.
"Hey, its just one more person to support. What's the big deal?"

When does it end?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies