Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sometimes small things like a birthday cake can mean a lot to a child, especially one whose life isn't that great in the first place.
Restricting food stamp purchases would not mean never having a birthday cake, you know. It is possible to make one from scratch, which would be much less expensive and probably taste better. I still remember the birthday cakes my mother made.

It is also possible to make cookies and other snacks. They do not have to be store bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
Quote:
Senior citizens have too much value in our society for them to "just end it" when they can no longer work for a living.
What value? If you don't work, you don't have value.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,787,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Restricting food stamp purchases would not mean never having a birthday cake, you know. It is possible to make one from scratch, which would be much less expensive and probably taste better. I still remember the birthday cakes my mother made.

It is also possible to make cookies and other snacks. They do not have to be store bought.
As I have already stated, I'm aware of that. And it would be nice if less people relied on processed food.

Again, my concern would be that if we start "banning" things that are considered junk food, where would it stop? Some people would consider white sugar as having no nutritional value, while others would consider chocolate et al to be luxury items that the poor don't need.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What value? If you don't work, you don't have value.
Yeah, you do. Seniors do the bulk of volunteer work in this country, and the wisdom they've accumulated in the course of their lifetimes is invaluable to their families and communities.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,692,869 times
"invaluable"="worthless".

Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,119,992 times
Quote:
When I can no longer work, it will be time to end it, not burden the system.
Please don't say things like this. Moreover, please don't *think* things like this!

Old 11-21-2010, 09:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

That's true, but one little store bought birthday cake per child per year is not over the top. It's hard to bake cakes here, unless you use a mix, b/c of the altitude. A little treat once in a while can make a boring diet a little more tolerable. Food stamp allocations are determined by the cost of a "thrifty" food plan, that doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room, despite what people have been saying.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,553,914 times
Quote:
"invaluable"="worthless".
Yeah.

Just like "extraordinary"="really, really ordinary". In which case, you, TKramar, are truly an extraordinary person.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's true, but one little store bought birthday cake per child per year is not over the top. It's hard to bake cakes here, unless you use a mix, b/c of the altitude. A little treat once in a while can make a boring diet a little more tolerable. Food stamp allocations are determined by the cost of a "thrifty" food plan, that doesn't allow a lot of wiggle room, despite what people have been saying.
And the start up costs for baking a cake from scratch are quite a bit more expensive than buying a mix. Some people don't have all the ingredients at hand because they just don't bake enough to make it a good investment. Unless someone bakes often it really isn't cost effective.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:58 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
And the start up costs for baking a cake from scratch are quite a bit more expensive than buying a mix. Some people don't have all the ingredients at hand because they just don't bake enough to make it a good investment. Unless someone bakes often it really isn't cost effective.
I can make a large pound cake for less than $4 in ingredients. This is about the same price as one mix I found online, and makes a much larger cake. The recipe* uses eggs, milk, margarine, shortening, flour, sugar, and a little baking powder and vanilla. I do not bake often, but getting the staples on hand when you want to bake should really not be that difficult. The result knocks Sara Lee's socks off, too!

* Pound Cake

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups sugar
3 cups plain flour ( Southern cooks use White Lily!)
1 cup whole milk
5 large eggs

Allow margarine, eggs, and milk to come to room temperature.
Sift flour before measuring and sift the three cups of flour again with the baking powder.
Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar well.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add flour and milk, alternating the two in small amounts, ending with flour, beating well after each addition.
Add the vanilla.

Grease (I use shortening) and flour tube pan. Do not do this until you are ready to pour the batter into the pan. Pour the batter into the pan and tap the pan on the counter lightly to eliminate large bubbles.

Bake at 325 degrees for about 75 minutes. Cake is done when the top is golden brown and it is pulling away from the sides of the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. It may help to run a thin knife around the edge of the sides of the pan and tube. When cake is completely cool, store at room temperature on a covered cake plate.

I have never made the cake in loaf pans, but I suspect it would make two cakes, and the baking time would need to be adjusted.

Try this and you'll never look at a Sara Lee pound cake the same way again! I love it plain, but you can add strawberries and whipped cream if you want it fancy.

So for four bucks and a little time, you can have a homemade cake. If you do not have a mixer, you can probably find one by shopping thrift shops and garage sales.

Iced cakes are a little more complicated but still less expensive than bakery items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies