Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 06:29 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I speak for myself when I say I have not resorted to Food Stamps ( being unemployed ) and will only do so when I can no longer afford the P & J and truly desperate . I promise you that...

I don't know the percentage of unemployed on Food Stamps but me thinks it will jump expotentially with the R. Congress blocking ( over and over ) the passing of an extension like a competitive Monopoly Game...
The extention of UE benefits? I certainly hope they'll block it every time it comes up. We've already gone well beyond what should have been handed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Obviously we HAD birthday cakes etc - they just weren't STORE bought ffs. Heck my grandma even made "candy" at home.

I was simply pointing out that a lack of candy and sugary snacks has nothing to do with "fairness". Is it FAIR that kids whose parents are on FS presumably also can't AFFORD the latest and greatest "in thing" for their kids? Please.

Life isn't fair, that's just the way it IS.
Just so you know , when I was a kid, we did not get soda, chips , cookies.

I baked all desserts from scratch when I was a kid /teenager.

We drank water or milk.

Cake : you baked it and iced it . We never got a bakery bought cake . My dad loved Spice cake with white frosting.

Snack was home cooked popcorn on the stove with raw kernals and hot oil. No microwave popcorn.

Now as an adult I love all the above things and mostly make my own dessert at home.

If I got food stamps tomorrow I would try to figure out how much I could stretch that $ 100 ( assuming amount here...) I would still try to make as much as I could at home.

I honestly feel if you want Crab Legs or Lobster you should pay for it out of your own pocket. Seriously ! Why should the gov't pay for your Gourmet Palate ??

Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
The extention of UE benefits? I certainly hope they'll block it every time it comes up. We've already gone well beyond what should have been handed out.
Bill : this is the confusion. You have 26 weeks . Then you go to extensions if you have not found work.

The * extension * is not adding MORE weeks , its extending the dates by which someone who has hit their 26 weeks and has not found work may go on their first extension.

What do you propose ? Throw everyone under the bus that hits 26 weeks. ?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Obviously we HAD birthday cakes etc - they just weren't STORE bought ffs. Heck my grandma even made "candy" at home.

I was simply pointing out that a lack of candy and sugary snacks has nothing to do with "fairness". Is it FAIR that kids whose parents are on FS presumably also can't AFFORD the latest and greatest "in thing" for their kids? Please.

Life isn't fair, that's just the way it IS.
Ffs back at ya.

I've been employed as a pastry chef a time or two and am quite aware that things can be baked from scratch, so good for your granny. But some of you FS nazis rather give the impression that these poor souls receiving benefits shouldn't even be allowed a sack of white sugar.

Hell...if a little cake mix made cake is all some little kid has for his/her birthday I'm certainly not going to be mean spirited enough to begrudge them that.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:34 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
If I got food stamps tomorrow I would try to figure out how much I could stretch that $ 100 ( assuming amount here...) I would still try to make as much as I could at home.

I honestly feel if you want Crab Legs or Lobster you should pay for it out of your own pocket. Seriously ! Why should the gov't pay for your Gourmet Palate ??
Yup, I'm not sure how much I would qualify for if that time comes, but I'm sure I could make whatever I was allotted go a LOT further than some seem to be able to. I do realise that ability has a LOT to do with how I was raised, for which I thank my family (especially my grandparents - I was raised in an extended family) every day.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
By the same token, we've been experiencing one of the worst recessions in the history of the country. Desperate times call for desperate measures. The welfare of the people is of primary importance in holding the fabric of the country together and takes priority over any other. The people have to eat and house themselves. If this isn't the time for government to step in and mitigate, then when?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:37 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,845,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Ffs back at ya.

I've been employed as a pastry chef a time or two and am quite aware that things can be baked from scratch, so good for your granny. But some of you FS nazis rather give the impression that these poor souls receiving benefits shouldn't even be allowed a sack of white sugar.

Hell...if a little cake mix made cake is all some little kid has for his/her birthday I'm certainly not going to be mean spirited enough to begrudge them that.
I'm HARDLY a "FS Nazi" - unless you feel saying taking candy and soft drinks (soda) off the FS list is so. I've never even mentioned cake mixes or sugar.

If they can ban "energy drinks" so called, then why not candy and soft drink which is basically just PURE sugar and of absolutely NO nutritional value whatsoever?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
http://www.pizzahut.com/Files/PDF/Nu...014%202007.pdf

http://www.nicknwillys.com/files/pdf...l-analysis.pdf

Calories in Tombstone Pizza Supreme Pizza Original - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives | LIVESTRONG.COM

For your own, you'd have to figure the crust, the cheese, the toppings, etc all separately.

Except for Meat Lover's Pizza Hut pizza, none of these are ludicrously high in any "bad" nutrient.
Right, everything in moderation. However, most people eat two slices of a large pizza and the nutrition facts are for one. That comes to about 800 calories, 40 grams of fat, almost a day's worth of sodium (if you go by the proposed new sodium guidelines), 80 carbs and about 30 grams of protein (the only redeeming part...even the amount of calcium you get doesn't justify eating this stuff), just for two slices of cheese from Pizza Hut. That's really not a very nutritious option. I love me some pizza, don't get me wrong, and when the Tombstones go on sale BOGO, I get a couple for lunches, but I try to offset the disgusting amount of calories with some veggies or cutting out a snack or reducing the amount of starches I eat with dinner.

I did make my own pizza with whole wheat flour, jar marinara sauce, garlic, spinach and low fat mozz (also thought about adding some chicken breast) and it was super good and very filling. It takes some time to make but it's much healthier than the alternatives.

I think if we can get people cooking, they will realize how much healthier it is, plus they get to make a choice of reducing the sodium content, or using low fat cheese instead of regular cheese, or opting for chicken breast instead of dark meat. We need to not just dole out the FS but teach them something at the same time, about nutrition and about budgeting.

The welfare people would really have to take control of their food stamp usage and be resourceful if we cut out the junk or at least limited it, like I proposed earlier. To me, welfare is all fine and dandy on a temporary basis but it should also be teaching the people how to do things for themselves so they can stop the cycle of dependency.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,943,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
How would you separate the Escalade driving clientelle from the responsible senior citizen on food stamps in your program? Or would the senior citizen have to drive the 50 miles to the nearest government run hardtack and gruel center for their nutritional needs? Why shouldn't senior citizens be allowed to purchase any damn thing they want from the local supermarket down the street? We're responsible by now. We raised the kids, paid the mortgage off and spend most of the money we have left on health care copays and deductables.
This is going to sound hard and cold & cruel to some. So be it.
You were responsible enough to get to your golden years without enough money to feed yourself. So when "the government" hands out money for people to buy food, it should be the basics, the necessities, and those who take it should say "thank you", not "This isn't good enough". Because after all, you are buying that food with MY money, in part. And without sounding too heartless, I'm not interested in buying you a coffee cake, or a lobster tail.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Right, everything in moderation. However, most people eat two slices of a large pizza and the nutrition facts are for one. That comes to about 800 calories, 40 grams of fat, almost a day's worth of sodium (if you go by the proposed new sodium guidelines), 80 carbs and about 30 grams of protein (the only redeeming part...even the amount of calcium you get doesn't justify eating this stuff), just for two slices of cheese from Pizza Hut. That's really not a very nutritious option. I love me some pizza, don't get me wrong, and when the Tombstones go on sale BOGO, I get a couple for lunches, but I try to offset the disgusting amount of calories with some veggies or cutting out a snack or reducing the amount of starches I eat with dinner.

I did make my own pizza with whole wheat flour, jar marinara sauce, garlic, spinach and low fat mozz (also thought about adding some chicken breast) and it was super good and very filling. It takes some time to make but it's much healthier than the alternatives.

I think if we can get people cooking, they will realize how much healthier it is, plus they get to make a choice of reducing the sodium content, or using low fat cheese instead of regular cheese, or opting for chicken breast instead of dark meat. We need to not just dole out the FS but teach them something at the same time, about nutrition and about budgeting.

The welfare people would really have to take control of their food stamp usage and be resourceful if we cut out the junk or at least limited it, like I proposed earlier. To me, welfare is all fine and dandy on a temporary basis but it should also be teaching the people how to do things for themselves so they can stop the cycle of dependency.
Until the gov't takes control of this rampant abuse of the FS Program , those who are ( abusing ) the system will do absolutely nothing but continue to rape the gov't every month until it is stopped .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies