Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times

Advertisements

TK that's BS, you were not drafted. Maybe if you were drafted that would be valid. My son is in because there's no dammned jobs that pay better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:00 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Where did I say I was drafted?

I didn't say that. I only said I went to Desert Storm, I was already in the military when they decided that we were going.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Uh, no. He didn't.

I wasn't happy about Daddy Bush sending us to Desert Storm--but I obeyed the orders I was given. It doesn't matter if *I* thought it was illegal, I was still required to follow or face the consequences of not doing so,.

The people who determine whether or not it's legal are the ones who give it.
You volunteered and still carried out orders you thought were illegal? You were not drafted which more or less makes any objection to illegal orders moot?

If you thought going into the armed services would mean you would preform illegal orders, why did you volunteer? Did you tell officers you had preformed illgal orders?

My son volunteered mainly due to the lack of decent jobs, and has college behind him. He has been trained as a commissioned officer in illegal orders, and will not give any.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 AM

Fighting an undeclared war is completely in violation of "legality"--but, as I said, I'm not the one to make that determination. The people giving those illegal orders are...and I would obey. That's why I'm no longer in, I had no desire to continue doing so.

I was naive enough to believe that we our job was the defense of this nation, not to satisfy the geopolitical goals of the government. I don't know why, the proof was in our past history. Korea, Vietnam, Grenada...

I'll admit to having rose-colored glasses on, now when is the government going to admit it was wrong to send us?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the congress does not have to declare war before the president can send troops into battle. according to the war powers act, the president can send troops into the field of battle for 90 days before he has to deal with congress on the funding for military action.

and second, congress did authorize the use of force for the gulf wars and afghanistan.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 AM

TK, That's fair. I was wondering if ever you might admitt to any personal flaws, since no one is perfect. You gained a point in humanity as I see it. You are certainly allowed a personal point of view, no matter if it is right or wrong.

War is something man made long ago, and man can't seem to get past that nasty little habit and live and let live can he.

That's where I have a problem too, but since man remains as he does, I see it as i have no choice but to remain armed. It just makes sence.

Like you should know by now, I have 20 years on you if the info is true in your profile, and I have no reason to think it isn't. I was born in 51, and you were in 71 as stated.

When you get to be 20 years older, see if you still feel like the bull of the woods. I am betting you won't, and tools will be somewhat better in terms of survival.

In your profile, it appears as you are also a family man, with children, which should make their security another thing to ponder on and if by hands alone you can protect them, perhaps against muliti of aggressors. Don't tell me, since that is none of my bees wax. That is totally up to you to decide. It will be you who must live with the consequences of any error there, not me.

It's just nice to know you are human after all.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:27 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default Taking it for granted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can pin BOTH your arms with one of mine--that would give me another arm.
You seem to be taking for granted that you are the baddest person walking around. I doubt that.

There are a LOT of people in here, people from all walks of life. Some of them may recognize this saying.

"No matter how big and bad you think you are, there is always someone bigger and badder".

I learned at the tender young age of 19, never take anything for granted.

It's a hard lesson, and I didn't learn it because I lost, I learned it because I won. It's then I realized, how things could have very well gone the other way. Once you realize how the world doesn't revolve around you, you understand how not to be so set in your ways.

Either that or you try to pin someone's arms with just 1 arm and you fail.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the congress does not have to declare war before the president can send troops into battle. according to the war powers act, the president can send troops into the field of battle for 90 days before he has to deal with congress on the funding for military action.

and second, congress did authorize the use of force for the gulf wars and afghanistan.
Yes, I know about the War Powers Act. However, it's neither part of the Constitution, nor is it Constitutional, since it directly opposes the statement that ONLY Congress may declare war. War has not been declared in any conflict since World War II, and as such, any military action since then has been against the Constitution.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:03 PM

113 posts, read 108,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
I own several firearms and dont know too many ppl who dont. I do beleive that every responsible, law-abiding citizen should own atleast one firearm. This world is constantly on the brink of total chaos and anarchy. Should everything go heywire tomorrow, if you have food and the basic necessities but no gun, somone who does will just come along and take them from you.

Although if your not willing to dedicate yourself to learning the ins and outs of a firearm, its probly not for you. If you have a gun but dont know everything there is to know about it, your in more danger having it than not having it at all.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:09 PM

65 posts, read 66,319 times
I own a hunting rifle and an oldstyle musket pistol. My dad also owns various hunting rifles.

I think we should be able to hold arms, but restricted to your own homes and maybe automobiles, keep them off the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies