Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let me simplify it for you, your gun is no more going to be able to keep you from getting shot at 20 feet, unless you have it out and he doesn't.

TK is correct, 21 feet and under the person with a firearm is at a disadvantage in a suprise situation. but outside of that 21 feet, look out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 06:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You don't know that.

I would be willing to bet i could shoot a mug who had me pinned to a bar room floor. Sure I might get a broken jaw, stabbed even, but that SOB just also might get shot.

The thing with you is you always have a wiseacer answer. If i said a boat was a tool, you would tell me it's a toy. If i said you couldn't go deep sea fishing with out a boat, you would tell me you can do it with a inner tube.

If hands and feet worked so good, there migh never have been other weapons. Man might still be wearing animal hides as the lastest greatest fashion, err well we still are, and women might still be wearing grass skirts. And of that I am not to sure they ain't.
No, I would tell you that I don't need to go deep sea fishing. I'd admit that you would need a boat if that's what you wanted to do, but I'd question your NEED to do so.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:16 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby View Post
Gun enthusiasts all seem to have this prevailing mindset in which everyone else is out to "get them" and the only way to defend against this is to own seven guns, maybe a grenade or two.
Not everyone. There is a small percentage of the population that will prey on others and I stay armed as an insurance policy. It's the same reason I have homeowner's insurance. Many will never need it but most of us still pay for it. I have multiple weapons because each serves a different purpose. Also, some have a personal meaning to me. I'll never get rid of my 20ga double barrel because my grandfather gave that to me. The grenade comment means you don't know the ATF's policy on destructive devices.

Quote:
what perplexes me is this sense that not only does the constitution give you the right to wield firearms, but somehow it extends to "shoot whoever I want if they look at me funny." "OH NO, the LIBERALS are here to take our weapons and make us gay!!! Let's SHOOT them!" Did you know that we put people away for life in prison for murder? When was the last time anyone broke into your double-wide trailer trying to steal your collection of Nascar posters?
No one has ever said that a responsible gun owner would shoot someone for just a "look". There are only 2 times I will shoot with intention of stoppiing a threat. 1. If someone is in my home and they aren't supposed to be there. 2. If my life or the life of someone with me is in eminent danger. 3. Here's the tricky situation. If a stranger is in eminent danger I would have to look at the situation. If I had a good shot, I would take it. If not (no back stop, etc) then I wouldn't. I would not put an innocent bystander in danger.

It has been about 20 years since my house was broken into. 10 years ago I did pull a gun as a man beat on my door. The police got him before he got in. About 3 years ago I noticed the screen on one of my windows had been removed. The window was locked and no entry gained.

Quote:
How about this for a law: Anyone who brags about having guns, we SHOOT THAT PERSON. Sound fair?
I've never tried to come off as bragging. I try to stress that it is a huge responsibility and I take that extremely seriously.

Quote:
Training and gun-knowledge are important for owners, but I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread about a guy training his 5-year-old daughter to handle a gun. Really? So she's five years old and trained with a tool capable of murder. Hope she doesn't get into any arguments in school, she just might take it with her!
I grew up in a house full of loaded guns at a time when a gun safe was never discussed. I was told at a very young age that the guns weren't touched unless there was adult supervision. My rear-end feared the beating that it would take if I broke this rule. It also never crossed my mind to take the gun to school. If I had an issue with a classmate we settled it like young men should - we beat the crap out of each other and then laughed about it.

I hope the 5 year old can do this in a few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8

Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
TK is correct, 21 feet and under the person with a firearm is at a disadvantage in a suprise situation. but outside of that 21 feet, look out.
That is a general rule. Rules get broken all the time.

What would you suppose might happen in a senario like this?

I am leaning on a bar, and a wanna be bad guy walks over asking for a light. As I reach in my pocket, he says 'Man gimmie yer wallet and yer car keys', and I come up with a gun in my hand, maybe not even removing my hand from my pocket. He is well with in that 21 feet, at less than 2 feet, but he could be just as shot.

The time he wastes talking, I can use to determine if he is going to be a very lethal threat. If he isn't going to be and I can tell him to go pound sand, then IT ends there. If not, and he makes a move for pyhisical violence, or allows me to see the grips of some weapon, He ends there.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
No, I would tell you that I don't need to go deep sea fishing. I'd admit that you would need a boat if that's what you wanted to do, but I'd question your NEED to do so.

30 years ago I was into commercial fishing for a living. It was one way to make dollars back then. I can't say I know of a boat that didn't have one or more guns aboard either.

Having that tool called a boat was pretty handy, so was the electric motors on the long lines. I was just crew of course, but the ability to earn was the point.

I have no idea how you live with out using any tools. As I said before i am all about tools. Speaking of tools I need to run off and go use some to earn with.

Later today, I plan to use other tools, and make a necklace of coyotte toe bones I prepped last night, with other tools.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Robert J, Why you went and found yerself a certifiable kook LOL

Do you even collect nascar posters? LOL

Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Robert J, Why you went and found yerself a certifiable kook LOL

Do you even collect nascar posters? LOL
I'm proud to say I've never watched a race from start to finish. If I'm flipping channels and and go past a good wreck, I'll watch for a few minutes.

But I have lived in a manufactured housing community (aka trailer park).

Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 PM

Well I never lived in any place like that, but lived in the trailer from Hell for 3.5 years. It didn't matter any to me the bath tub was falling thru the floor and had dead rodents in it a bit.

It was somewhat easier to heat than a tee pee I had lived in the previouse 3 years, and a little drier too boot.

man the location was 'it' dead center in the osippee ringdike. (gotta slam that word into one or it gets nannied)

The trailer from Hell was so far out in the bonnies that it gathered a fair share of kooks, that needed to be un-invited at the wrong end of a gun, which resulted in some folks not deserving coming close to that reception as well. One is a real tight buddy of mine today, and we still joke about that first meeting.

At the time he never knew how close he came to being on the wrong end of that gun, but later I told him. After suffering some wild kooks, one, which happened to be my wife saw 3 men running into the dooryard. I was busy looking down at silver working I did. So it was her that told me, and passed me my pistol, which I stuffed in my belt before these 3 men could see.

All they were interested in was the tee pee which was set up down by the stream maybe 1/2 mile away, on the same 80 acher parcell I was living on.

Others, the kooks would go so far as to theaten me for not allowing them in to call the cops on me, for my lack of keys to the logging company gates, which made no difference to them that I never had and still haven't worked for the logging companies. Go Figure?

Down the road a piece, was a really old grumpy man, who would shoot at ya for no reason at all, so I sent the kooks there mentioning he owned all the keys to all the gates, which was always a great bit of fun.

The first time I met him I didn't even have to go looking. I was in my dooryard splitting fire wood when he showed up. He stepped out of his truck and leaned on it, placin' both hands on his hips, just watchin'.

I was into splittin fire wood by hand then as money for splitters wasn't common. I set wood in 3/4ers of a semi circle and worked in the middle, hit or split I moved on to the next log no matter what happened. So I finished the line up before i stopped to ask what he might want.

First words out of him was 'Boy do you 'ave any idea where's yer at?' I know this routine, which is a test about winter. I grinned knowing my next words would almost create a heart attack.

The winter before had been harsh to say the least, and I knew he would know it.

So I said 'Yes Sir, I know right where I'm at, and last winta' i lived in a tee pee down ta' Canaan,' (Canaan Valley with in the Ossipee Range NH, about 6 miles due south)

Some time later he called me to come get a cat out of his trash on his enclosed porch. Well, that cat was all a tan color execpt for the very last bit of the tail which was a darker tan and this 'cat' was about 9 feet long countin' that tail. It's safe to say I was a tad more carefull the next times that old Buzzard called me for anything.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
You don't know that.

I would be willing to bet i could shoot a mug who had me pinned to a bar room floor. Sure I might get a broken jaw, stabbed even, but that SOB just also might get shot.

Be pretty hard to shoot him with your arms pinned down to the ground.

Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,173,251 times
Yes, I have guns.
Two pistols, one rifle, two shotguns. One is loaded with deer slugs. One with buckshot.
They are all loaded.
I have no intentions of ever using any of them to hurt someone.
But if my home is invaded I will grab the closest one to protect myself. And one is always within quick reach.
And the Castle law in my state gives me the right to protect myself and my home.
And everyone else should do the same.
Castle law, or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies