Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times

Advertisements

The difference between a liberal and a conservative, is that if a conservative doesn't want a gun, he doesn't buy one. if a liberal doesn't want a gun, he tries to ban it for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,387,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Look for a range in your area and take the safety course.They'll go over all aspects of gun safety and gun control both classroom and range time. Once you get certified and get your permit go to the range as much as possible and practice,practice,practice. Try to find a range that rents out guns so you can get the feel of them all and which one fits you best,they're not 1 size fits all.

I'd start with a 22 to familiarize yourself,you won't get the recoil of a larger caliber gun.I don't care what anyone says but you can defend yourself just as good with a gun you can shoot great rather than a larger one you have no control over. Over the last few years I see more and more women at the range and you'd be amazed at just how many are carrying concealed.

You mention the "lowly" .22 caliber but in reality cops fear them the most because the .22 bullet will enter the body, and since it is so light, it tends to travel around in funky ways. A .22 bullet shot to a shoulder may indeed wind up near the heart. Larger calibers tend to pass through flesh and shatter bones, even some pass right through the body itself. This from a very good friend who is a cop. The .22 can be very deadly.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Just you having a loaded gun is a threat to me. You could draw and fire upon me at any time. Thus I prefer it if you don't have one...to protect myself. Protecting myself is not against the law, is it?

I would strongly suggest rethinking your position.

If you attempted to "disarm" nearly everyone who has concealed carry, they would shoot you dead. Your fantasy of taking a loaded gun away from someone who is trained to use it (obviously you are not) would border on the insane.

Why do you think people have concealed carry? Probably to defend themselves from nuts. Now, how do you think an agressive move to "take" a weapon from someone would be percieved? Obviously as an attempt to take thier weapon and use it on them.

You would only be able to test your theory once. After that, you would not be able to perform any further testing and your premise would be disproved.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
I am experienced in fighting--I figure I'll do just fine.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:46 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Default Wrong

Quote:
It's called self defense. It is in my best interest for you to NOT have a firearm around me, because I don't feel like getting shot by some nut with a gun. Now, once it's unloaded, you can have it back.
1. I am not a nut, I am fully trained in both armed and unarmed combat. In the Military I was trained and then qualified every year with handgun, (M1911A1), rifle, (M14 and M16) and shotgun, while I trained in martial arts for MANY years before going on active duty.

2. I am the guy you want armed, I am one of the guys (and gals) who was willing to give his (or her) life in the protection of this country. Can you think of a better person to be armed?

3. While I am also trained in hand to hand combat, and the martial arts, it's not capable of protecting you when your opponent, the armed criminal is 25 feet away. This is the time when having the legally armed citizen who is a law abiding citizen there with you.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM

We don't need a military. Our government doesn't use them in our defense anyhow. Some crap about posse comitatus.

As I've said before, just having a gun won't make you bulletproof. If anything, it makes you a primary target for the shooter.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:59 PM

20,063 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Guns.
A few bad apples gotta spoil it for the whole bunch.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,171,011 times
Default Your choice

Quote:
We don't need a military. Our government doesn't use them in our defense anyhow. Some crap about posse comitatus.

As I've said before, just having a gun won't make you bulletproof. If anything, it makes you a primary target for the shooter.
You can be an unarmed target, and watch some armed perp do whatever they want up to the point when they shoot you, or you can be in a position to possibly defend yourself, your choice.

My choice is to be in a position to defend myself, be it with one of my combat blades, or my P345 or my 6906 S&W.

I want to remind people though. Do NOT buy a gun if all you are going to do is wave it around. If you have a weapon, and are faced with a circumstance where it is necessary to use it for defense, use it. If you aren't going to use it, don't buy it.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:27 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
I own a few firearms.

I think that every non-felon mentally stable people should be able to own a firearm and carry after completion of a CC class.

I do not think people should be forced to, its a personal decision.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
You can be an unarmed target, and watch some armed perp do whatever they want up to the point when they shoot you, or you can be in a position to possibly defend yourself, your choice.

My choice is to be in a position to defend myself, be it with one of my combat blades, or my P345 or my 6906 S&W.

I want to remind people though. Do NOT buy a gun if all you are going to do is wave it around. If you have a weapon, and are faced with a circumstance where it is necessary to use it for defense, use it. If you aren't going to use it, don't buy it.
I'm in a position to defend myself--I just choose to do it without a gun or other weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies