Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 02:29 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
What is the matter with you!?!?!!?! If someone breaks into your home you need to reason with him! Empathise with him! Really try and "See where he is coming from" and reach out to him! If you brandish a firearm and he flees he is going to have self esteem issues since he failed to rob you. Do you really want to be the cause of that?

Furthermore, if he is a minority and you are white well.... you are probably a racist and responsible for his low economic status and should gladly turn over all of your belongings to him anyway. A good citizen would assist the perp in carrying items out to his getaway vehicle lest he injure himself trying to lug a heavy item like a big screen TV. Remember, if you happen to damage an item the perp wants you have a duty to reimburse him for the full retail value.
Hahahaha...thats good.A good Christian might do those things but if that happened when my granddaughter is staying overnight he wouldn't need worry about anything anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Personally, I hate guns - they scare me and if someone broke into my house I still probably wouldn't have the guts to shoot anyone. It's just not my nature. I think it's perfectly acceptable for people to have firearms in the privacy of their own homes; however, carrying them in public is a different story to which I greatly oppose.

then you should also be against the cops and federal law enforcement to be carrying around firearms as well while doing their job. right?

Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Don't have one, very few people around here do. I live in a major suburban area with one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.
Your horribly mistaken if that's what you think. I know dozens of firearms owners here, most are like myself and don't advertise it.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
i do own two firearms, but if someone does not want to own any, that is fine by me. the people have the right to keep and bear arms, not the requirement to do so.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Sometimes firearms are not enough for home protection.
Wouldn't it be much better if the property was encircled by barbed wire and in the doorway stood a howitzer?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.

No. I'm waiting for Obama to send me one.

Seriously, I am planning to acquire a gun. But, it will not be registered.

Gun registration is the most useless government intrusion that we have ever allowed. The government does not need to know what kind of gun I own.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:42 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sometimes firearms are not enough for home protection.
Wouldn't it be much better if the property was encircled by barbed wire and in the doorway stood a howitzer?
Why? Are you concerned you'll be attacked by someone several miles away?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:45 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Most people who break into homes just want the $... they're not looking for a murder sentence. And if you do happen to shoot the perp, remember that perps have friends too...
Frankly, anyone who breaks into my house has thrown out any presumption of what their intentions are. Serial killers break into houses too. I must assume they are there to do the ultimate harm to me and my family, and shoot to kill.

And while I have heard of hundreds of people shooting criminals who break into their homes, I have yet to hear of any homeowner being attacked by the friends of the felon after defending their home. The friends aren't going to try going after a homeowner who has already proven able to shoot a criminal, if they have any thoughts of surviving. And I would think those who commit crimes are far more at risk from having their victim's friends and relatives go vigilante--and look how rarely that happens.

Criminals break into houses because they are looking for an easy way to get something they didn't earn. I doubt any would target a home where they knew the homeowner was armed and dangerous. They tend to avoid homes with dogs, too, so both are a good idea.

Of course, if you have people living in your home who have severe mental disorders, or are undisciplined children, that's another story.

I'm amazed that some people think of the generally non-educated, low-intelligence cowardly lazy criminals as if they were Green Berets, backed up by other Green Berets in case the victim fought back.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
I do own firearms for the protection of my home, family and property. I support the US Constitution and the rights that it protects. I have no problem whatsoever using a firearm to protect my home, family or property.

I really don't care what reasons a person might have for trying to break into my home and I don't care if they intend to harm/kill me or my family or if they just intend to steal some things and leave. I don't care if they're armed or not, The minute they choose to break into my home they make a choice that the items in my home are worth more than their lives.

I don't want to be forced to kill an intruded but I'll do what I have to in order to protect myself, my family and my home because that's my job.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I never had one in my home and never will. Some of my family members do however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies