Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 01:31 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Let me ask you "Nineties"- HOW MANY PEOPLE DO CARS KILL EVERY YEAR? Automobiles are far more dangerous than guns, yet the liberals embrace them. Perhaps, to be consistent, you should start riding a bike and abandon those killer cars, as many people kill themselves, as well as friends, with these dangerous beasts. That makes alot more sense and would save more lives.
I realize that you asked Nineties...

but I don't own a car either (nor do I lease one).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
You were lucky he wasn't armed. Glad you were able to end the situation without any harm coming to you or your loved ones and that you didn't lose any of your belongings.
Refer to the thread with the "knuckle sammich". It wouldn't have mattered--I can defend myself physically.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Refer to the thread with the "knuckle sammich". It wouldn't have mattered--I can defend myself physically.
I defended myself and my family with my firearm.

I won.

He lost.

We each have our own way. Nothing wrong with either way.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,351,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes I own 2 guns, they both have trigger locks and are locked in a gun case.

With that being said, there are both good and bad to owning a gun. if you aren't willing to use it, don't own it.

People tend to forget that over 2.5 million crimes a year are prevented by legally armed citizens.

Additionally, There is Kennesaw Ga. where all heads of households are required to be armed, and has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation.

2.5 million.....interesting data.

I live in Massachusetts and I have an unrestricted Mass. class A license to carry firearms. That gives me unrestricted concealed carry rights and that's not easy to get in one of the liberal meccas of the USA. It's hard enough to jump through the many hoops that are imposed by our elected officials. I certainly don't need any of these anti-gun people telling me that I should not be able to excercise my 2nd ammendment rights. I also practice martial arts. I laugh at all of the penis size related and "ohhhhh.....tough guy comments" for two reasons. Martial arts great for physical fitness and I enjoy knowing that I am the best equipped as I can humanly possibly be to defend myself and my family against any possible scenario. If some of you out there don't like that you should attempt to ammend the constitution.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 PM

119 posts, read 263,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Did I say that people who keep guns in their house are stupid? I said its a stupid idea. For every horror story some of you bring up about the crazies, there's as many articles about kids getting their hands on their parent's guns (usually to show a friend, play with it, etc.) and ending up six feet under. If you're open about where you keep the gun then its not like its going to be hard for them to get it.
That's only true if you never teach and allow the kids to shoot them. The 'forbidden fruit syndrome'.

I own over 20 different firearms. My two teenagers can handle every one of them safely and shoot it with no supervision if they needed to. We all shoot on a regular basis, they know they are not toys to be play with. They have also killed multiple game animals and understand completely what type of damage one of them can inflict on someone.

No its not a stupid idea to own firearms. It is a stupid idea to own them if you are not going to put in the time to train, practice and teach.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
Quote:
Guns (and mechanical items in general) aren't the most reliable of objects to count on working properly and not malfunctioning 100% of the time.
That's why I like revolvers rather than automatics.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Sometimes firearms are not enough for home protection.
Wouldn't it be much better if the property was encircled by barbed wire and in the doorway stood a howitzer?
oh please, a howitzer? really? kind of hard to claim self defense when you are killing people at three miles. a better choice would be a 7.62 mini gun like used on the blackhawk as a door gun.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Now why would they do that ? I thought you said they didn't want to hurt anyone and just wanted the $$$$.....

... Which of us do you take for an idiot? Robber with no gun = idiot with no leverage. Robber with gun who finds a gun staring back at them = 1st degree murder and dead victim.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,872,451 times
Quote:
Learn to read: LEARNING how to use one is a life skill. If you are placed in a situation where you must use a gun, then knowing how to use one beforehand obviously helps.

However, anybody can tell you that the best way to defend your life in that situation is to not give the perpetrator a reason to use violence. Most people who break into homes just want the $... they're not looking for a murder sentence. And if you do happen to shoot the perp, remember that perps have friends too...
You know a lot of criminals do it for fun and because it beats getting an actual job. Why work for 8 hours a day and take s--t when you can steal for the poor bastard who does?

I've met people who have had their houses burglarized and have had the perps kick holes in the walls and smash their plates and television. Other cases (people I do not have known personally) have had burglars urinate and defecate on the floor, kill pets, graffiti the walls, and so on. Does that sound like reasoned professionals who only looking for money or does it sound like psychopathic thrill-seekers?

A lot of burglars might be mostly interested in money, but that does not mean they might not being willing to go for some fringe benefits. Like a 15 year old girl in her bedroom and if you are really unlucky, they might force you watch (as has happened in the past). Some might figure it is too risky to leave you alive and just kill you anyways.

Quote:
Have you ever actually had your house broken into? Is your TV/credit card/material belongings in general worth your life or those of your family? Have you ever lost someone close in your family to violence? All serious questions.
It is not worth my life nor my family's life, but it is certainly worth the life of a scumbag who is breaking into my house and is willing to kill me over them.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:43 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
You know a lot of criminals do it for fun and because it beats getting an actual job. Why work for 8 hours a day and take s--t when you can steal for the poor bastard who does?

I've met people who have had their houses burglarized and have had the perps kick holes in the walls and smash their plates and television. Other cases (people I do not have known personally) have had burglars urinate and defecate on the floor, kill pets, graffiti the walls, and so on. Does that sound like reasoned professionals who only looking for money or does it sound like psychopathic thrill-seekers?

A lot of burglars might be mostly interested in money, but that does not mean they might not being willing to go for some fringe benefits. Like a 15 year old girl in her bedroom and if you are really unlucky, they might force you watch (as has happened in the past). Some might figure it is too risky to leave you alive and just kill you anyways.

It is not worth my life nor my family's life, but it is certainly worth the life of a scumbag who is breaking into my house and is willing to kill me over them.

I'm not going to argue with you because how you defend your family & property is up to you. All I'm saying is that there's risks involved when you attempt to defend yourself. Conversely, there's also risks involved when you don't. However, the risks tend to be higher when you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies