Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 10:28 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,387,114 times

Advertisements

I own firearms and have a permit to carry concealed pistols. They must be concealed by law. I feel safer when I go to an ATM where someone might be watching, and ready to pounce but, I have one hand on my AMC anticipating any problems at an unsecured ATM. Even walking back to the car, I keep the firearm ready until I am once again in a safe mode.

I think Bernie Goetz did the right thing on the NYC subway as there was no one there to protect him so he protected himself. Otherwise, he probably woud be dead. Permit or no permit, that firearm saved his life.

Bottom line, I carry when I think I may need to have my firearm. Better to have it and NOT need it than to need it and not have it.

It is a personal choice. I don't always carry my firearm, only when I think I need to, because of where I am going and taking into consideration the surroundings and the crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 11:40 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Let me get around to the original question:
1. Does your household owns firearms? Yes.
2. Do you think each household should? No. It's a personal issue if you want to exercise you rights.
3.Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms? Yes to both neighbors and friends as well as family. I may not know all of my neighbors that well but based on the number that have a Ducks Unlimited sticker or a Browning logo or a deep camp name on the bumper of their truck, then I suspect at least 90% are gun owners. Even though one neighbor doesn't have any open indicator of being a gun owner, he did stop by when I had an AR-15 and an SKS in my driveway setting up new scopes with a laser bore sight and we discussed guns. I know that in the northeast US, he would have just called the local police and the SWAT team would have tasered me in the driveway.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:43 AM

119 posts, read 263,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol... you can stop judging me from your *** anytime now. I live in East Oakland and spend a lot of my time in the higher-crime areas of it. The biggest annoyance here is the police, who have stopped me while I'm walking to ask me "what was I doing there" which later turned into they thought I looked similar to a suspect and some other BS. The cops think I'm just another ******... you have any similar experiences?
No can't say as I have experienced that, but I don't live in a place like E Oakland either. I've been all over the world and I wouldn't go to E Oakland if you paid me.

You live in one of the highest crime areas in the country and you don't want to own a firearm to protect yourself. Not trying to be an a$$, but have you thought about moving? There have got to 10,000 places better to live than there...just in California.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison1987 View Post
I hate guns.
Don't you think it is silly to "hate" an object? Silly as it seems, it is your perogative. Just don't attempt to stop those of us who cherish our 2nd Amendment and understand that it is the enforcement arm of our entire Constitution.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:50 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because how you defend your family & property is up to you. All I'm saying is that there's risks involved when you attempt to defend yourself. Conversely, there's also risks involved when you don't. However, the risks tend to be higher when you do.

Please post facts to back up your claim.

When an alleged intruder broke a window and began entering the home of 80-year-old Stephen Boyechko, he knew what to do—he hastily retrieved his .32-cal. Walther PPK pistol. "Why did you break my window?" Boyechko asked. Instead of answering the question, the intruder climbed inside and ran at the homeowner, who shot him twice and held him for police. The intruder is a suspect in a number of burglaries. Apparently in his latest heist he did not know with whom he was dealing. Boyechko is a veteran of World War II, but he did not fight for the United States. "I was in the Ukrainian underground," he said. "I was 14. We fought the Germans and the Russians." (The Leader, Corning, NY, 08/22/10)

What else would you ave an 80 year old man do offer him coffee?

Quote:
lol... you can stop judging me from your *** anytime now. I live in East Oakland and spend a lot of my time in the higher-crime areas of it. The biggest annoyance here is the police, who have stopped me while I'm walking to ask me "what was I doing there" which later turned into they thought I looked similar to a suspect and some other BS. The cops think I'm just another ******... you have any similar experiences?

So, you are saying that someone committed a crime and the police have a description. You are walking down the street and you match the description enough to be asked a few questions. You convince the police you are not the criminal they are after, they let you go on your way.

And you have a problem with that? How else do you expect the police to catch criminals if not stopping people who match the description they have?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:34 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
[/b]

Please post facts to back up your claim.

When an alleged intruder broke a window and began entering the home of 80-year-old Stephen Boyechko, he knew what to do—he hastily retrieved his .32-cal. Walther PPK pistol. "Why did you break my window?" Boyechko asked. Instead of answering the question, the intruder climbed inside and ran at the homeowner, who shot him twice and held him for police. The intruder is a suspect in a number of burglaries. Apparently in his latest heist he did not know with whom he was dealing. Boyechko is a veteran of World War II, but he did not fight for the United States. "I was in the Ukrainian underground," he said. "I was 14. We fought the Germans and the Russians." (The Leader, Corning, NY, 08/22/10)

What else would you ave an 80 year old man do offer him coffee?

So, you are saying that someone committed a crime and the police have a description. You are walking down the street and you match the description enough to be asked a few questions. You convince the police you are not the criminal they are after, they let you go on your way.

And you have a problem with that? How else do you expect the police to catch criminals if not stopping people who match the description they have?

Because that's their excuse, not their actual reason. They see any black male between the ages of 13-30 as a "potential suspect" and as open season for harassing. The OPD is one of the most crooked and incompetent PDs in the country. I was here when the BART cop Mehserle shot Oscar Grant (which was only 10 minutes away from where I live) and for the entire spectacularly ****ty handling of the case by the OPD. Now it looks like he's not even going to get the reduced manslaughter charge... why would I trust a group of people who cannot be held accountable for their actions? smh

Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.

Rural firearms, consist of long guns and shotguns, where urban firearms tend to be hand guns.

I can hit something at 750 yards with my 30-06. The pump .410 is a great close gun, guaranteed to hit your target at 30 yards, or closer.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:42 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,003,984 times
No, I don't. I don't like them but have thought about it several times. And I certainly do support the second amendment, even though a librul.

Considering there was a stabbing two blocks down the road from me this morning (and even though they knew each other), I am thinking my nice and safe neighborhood is not all that safe.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I am thinking my nice and safe neighborhood is not all that safe.

There are more unstable, PO'ed people out there, with very little self control.

It is becoming a more violent world and our nation is not immune.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:04 PM

Look at Mexico right now.

The citizens are unarmed, yet the criminals are armed to the gills.

If that happened in my neighborhood, in the atmosphere going on down there. The cartel members would not make it out alive, instead of the other way around.

The armed citizens would take care of the threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies