Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 04:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
None--because I don't pass by people. I don't like being around other people.

I walk, and most people around here drive. They wouldn't walk to save their lives. Lazy bastards.
You do, IN FACT, walk by other people. Be it at your place of employment, on your infamous walks to a store. At the grocery store. Etc. YOU walk by people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 04:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Just you having a loaded gun is a threat to me. You could draw and fire upon me at any time. Thus I prefer it if you don't have one...to protect myself. Protecting myself is not against the law, is it?
Nor is my carrying a firearm, to protect myself, against the law either.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Just you having a loaded gun is a threat to me. You could draw and fire upon me at any time. Thus I prefer it if you don't have one...to protect myself. Protecting myself is not against the law, is it?
so any gun is a threat to you, even if it is safely tucked into a holster? as long as i am legally allowed to own and carry a firearm, it is my choice to do so. if you were to decide to preemptively take my firearm by force, that is theft and assault both of which would land you in jail since you have ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO EVEN TOUCH MY FIREARM OR ME. and believe me if you did that with me, i would press charges against you. the only time you could legally take my firearm from me is if i decided to draw it and point it at you. then i would be on the wrong end of the law, and you would have every right to disarm me.

but as long as that weapon is in my holster, it is no threat to you, and you cannot preemptively take it from me, unless you are law enforcement and you have detained me for a legal reason, and carrying a firearm is not a legal reason.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:08 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
Quote:
It's called self defense. It is in my best interest for you to NOT have a firearm around me, because I don't feel like getting shot by some nut with a gun. Now, once it's unloaded, you can have it back.

good luck spending time in jail for taking a legally held firearm from someone who can carry it. I just hope it isnt an undercover cop or and off duty cop you are taking it from.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 AM

744 posts, read 1,210,377 times
Not sure if this had been said in previous posts or not. I do feel every responsible household should own a firearm because "when seconds count the Police are only minutes away"

Old 11-01-2010, 12:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Don't have one, very few people around here do. I live in a major suburban area with one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.
I think most of my neighbors have guns and probably it's a assumed most people have one so the violent crime rate is low.

I don't have one mainly because I have kids and I think they'd play with it or at least check it out - to me it's all about weighing the risks of not having one against the risks of having one.

With kids, it might be better to keep a gun locked up and then what good would it be - a few big dogs can be a good deterrent and I have those.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
I think our homes need more books, not guns.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
More books about guns!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post

They are not mutally exclusive.

It is like saying we cannot have washing machines if we have a telephone.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM

81 posts, read 126,682 times
An armed society is a free society. Our governments (made of people) have arsenals that can pretty much destroy the planet yet there are plenty of people who believe you and I should not own a small firearm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies