Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 07:09 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

My father gave me a single shot .22 rifle on my 6th birthday, which was some time ago now, since soon I will be 59. I did the same thing for my son when he was 6. He will be 30 in December.

Some of that has rubbed off and he is in the National Guard now, soon to be somewhere in the Middle East. With college behind him he holds some rank, and I need not worry as much.

Back in my day the NRA had training ranges to teach kids and cops how to shoot.

A lot has changed since then, but shooting well is still something to learn about. Before the mid 80's all I did was target shoot and hunt, and had no selfdefence guns, but that all changed too.

At this point there have been several times a selfdefence gun ended up saving everyones life, to include the bad guys. They don't like the idea they will get shot either.

Just once was I forced to shoot. That created a whole other mind set. That is my main worry when people are forced to shoot to save their lives and or loved ones lives. It isn't the same mind set as hunters have.

That mind set can harden some people, I am one of them.

On the other hand my father in law a Army man for 30 years , disarmed by the state is dead and so is his 2nd wife, a woman my wife loved, and because he was disarmed by the state he lived in.

And that! does not sit well in my heart.

Being armed is only a 50/50 chance, since the bad guys have surprise in their court.
A 50/50 chance is better than no chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 PM

401 posts, read 473,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid - or that you have enough time to get to the gun before he gets to you, and that if either of the above two conditions are met that you're able to get the jump on him. If he already has a weapon drawn on you and you don't have your finger on the trigger, you lost. Game over. A lot of house break in victims get caught up in a superman/hero complex and they pay the price for it. I'm not saying that there aren't sick ****s who will shoot you regardless of whether you cooperate or not. They just don't happen to make up most criminals, particularly burglars.
Why wouldn't you carry a loaded gun in your own household? I don't understand why that is stupid.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:39 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid -

Home invasions are, unfortunately, far to common in my region. Home occupants have the wherewithal to defend themselves if they are armed - and there has been cases where occupant shot and killed the intruder and saved themselves.

Respectfully I must disagree - having a loaded firearm in your home (properly secured if there are children in the household) can be, and has been, a good deterrent - and does NOT make the occupant STUPID as you allege.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:26 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Please tell me how you plan on defending yourself from an armed intruder when you are 20 ft away? You can get shot in the back while running away, or drilled between the horns when you try to rush them. I don't care HOW good you are at unarmed combat, if you are not close enough to utilize it, it's no good.
My apartment doesn't have a room 20 feet wide. And while he's TRYING to break in, making a Hell of a lot of noise in the process, I'll be waiting.

But to use your own logic, no matter how good you are with a gun, if the guy's already got his finger on the trigger of his gun, you're not going to be able to wake up, reach for your gun, and shoot him before he shoots you.

Even if it takes you half a second to think about shooting me, I can have hit you about four times. Maybe five.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:35 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
My apartment doesn't have a room 20 feet wide. And while he's TRYING to break in, making a Hell of a lot of noise in the process, I'll be waiting.

But to use your own logic, no matter how good you are with a gun, if the guy's already got his finger on the trigger of his gun, you're not going to be able to wake up, reach for your gun, and shoot him before he shoots you.

Even if it takes you half a second to think about shooting me, I can have hit you about four times. Maybe five.
Obviously you have no knowledge of handguns and have had no training in the use of handguns.

I find this interesting about liberals- they often have very definitie, ingrained ideas about topics they know nothing about. A wise man would reconsider his position, given no knowledge. However, liberals, on the other hand, have never been considered wise.

Mark Twain put it quite well-

"It is not the things that we don't know that get us into trouble. It is the things that we know for sure that just aint so".

Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid - or that you have enough time to get to the gun before he gets to you, and that if either of the above two conditions are met that you're able to get the jump on him. If he already has a weapon drawn on you and you don't have your finger on the trigger, you lost. Game over. A lot of house break in victims get caught up in a superman/hero complex and they pay the price for it. I'm not saying that there aren't sick ****s who will shoot you regardless of whether you cooperate or not. They just don't happen to make up most criminals, particularly burglars.
I carry 24/7, and have 2 hand guns loaded at all times. Out where I live on the property I carry just one hand gun. When I leave the property most often I carry 2, a main self defence gun and a back up, incase there is a mechanical malfunction, or I get in a real bad place, and am pinned down by a bad guy, and maybe can't reach the main.

I also keep a .22 semi auto rifle loaded for garden varmints, so that is 3 guns in all that stay loaded all the time.

I have some other guns that are not loaded, but the magazines are.

Being rural is different than being urbanish. I tend to know when any strangers are around since the dogs speak to me.

In several instances over the years there has never been any race to see who is handling a weapon first.

Once here at this location a weirdo still sitting behind the wheel of a truck, asked me what I would do if he was a bad guy, while I had walked over to see if he was lost, or was just interested in hiking the woods. When he pulled his coat back grinning, showing me the grip of a pistol, My pistol was already in my hand, still holstered behind my back.

Had he pulled that pistol there is a good bet he would have lost.

Each instance teaches me a new lesson, and there have been many lessons since 1985, when these problems so far as it concerns me started.

This has to do with the revolving door policy the justice system has taken to so keenly. It's almost like fishing, with Catch and Release.

The best part is bad guys don't want to get shot, and so I need not touch them, putting myself as risk for what ever diseases they may harbor.

Now IMO, what is stupid is having a gun that isn't loaded. That is no better than a rock, and rocks are where Self Defence started a few million years ago.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Obviously you have no knowledge of handguns and have had no training in the use of handguns.

I find this interesting about liberals- they often have very definitie, ingrained ideas about topics they know nothing about. A wise man would reconsider his position, given no knowledge. However, liberals, on the other hand, have never been considered wise.

Mark Twain put it quite well-

"It is not the things that we don't know that get us into trouble. It is the things that we know for sure that just aint so".
Let me simplify it for you, your gun is no more going to be able to keep you from getting shot at 20 feet, unless you have it out and he doesn't.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Let me simplify it for you, your gun is no more going to be able to keep you from getting shot at 20 feet, unless you have it out and he doesn't.
You don't know that.

I would be willing to bet i could shoot a mug who had me pinned to a bar room floor. Sure I might get a broken jaw, stabbed even, but that SOB just also might get shot.

The thing with you is you always have a wiseacer answer. If i said a boat was a tool, you would tell me it's a toy. If i said you couldn't go deep sea fishing with out a boat, you would tell me you can do it with a inner tube.

If hands and feet worked so good, there migh never have been other weapons. Man might still be wearing animal hides as the lastest greatest fashion, err well we still are, and women might still be wearing grass skirts. And of that I am not to sure they ain't.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 PM

171 posts, read 327,151 times
Are you leading a poll in order to come back and collect them? Heard that was done once before in another country. Most people just won't divulge the fact as to whether they own a gun or not. In my rural area we typically see a sign on the gate or front door that is in the shape of a shotgun and reads: "We don't call 911".

Takes too long for the protectors to answer a call, I guess. After all, look up the "Make My Day" law passed by the State of Oklahoma, which allows a home owner to protect themselves and their property, if feeling threatened. Lots of us out in the "boonies" are smiling more now. We feel safer.

Most of us out in the country honk our horns upon arrival at someone's else's farm. Just being good neighbors! Everyone I know out in the "boonies" seems to hate to have to go to the city for any reason. We all complain about the craziness, traffic, crowded, run down houses with brick walls we have look at and was lucky enough to leave in the smog on our way out. Love the fresh air!

Old 11-04-2010, 06:49 PM

171 posts, read 327,151 times
I heard some people will "walk up and shoot" and others "shoot and walk up".

Never know what one will do if feeling threatened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies