Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 09:08 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'm in a position to defend myself--I just choose to do it without a gun or other weapon.
But that idea ends as if you were to change a flat tire on a car with no jack or wrench. Guns are simple tools. So simple that if some how all mine ended up gone, with in a day or so I would have made another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
It's funny to watch the new guys "debate" with TKramer. Most of us gave up a long time ago.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
I'm in a position to defend myself--I just choose to do it without a gun or other weapon.
Likewise, I'm in a position to defend MYSELF. However, I choose to do it with a firearm. And you have NO RIGHT whatsoever to interfere with MY right to carry a LOADED firearm as I have no right to insist that YOU carry a firearm.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
But that idea ends as if you were to change a flat tire on a car with no jack or wrench. Guns are simple tools. So simple that if some how all mine ended up gone, with in a day or so I would have made another.
I don't see a need for tools. I do things with my own two hands.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
I don't see a need for tools. I do things with my own two hands.

You could not change a car tire WITHOUT tools. And, don't give us your crap that you don't own a car.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 AM

15 posts, read 27,105 times
In This Thread: paranoia and internet tough-guys.

Gun enthusiasts all seem to have this prevailing mindset in which everyone else is out to "get them" and the only way to defend against this is to own seven guns, maybe a grenade or two. Some points they make are valid, but what perplexes me is this sense that not only does the constitution give you the right to wield firearms, but somehow it extends to "shoot whoever I want if they look at me funny." "OH NO, the LIBERALS are here to take our weapons and make us gay!!! Let's SHOOT them!" Did you know that we put people away for life in prison for murder? When was the last time anyone broke into your double-wide trailer trying to steal your collection of Nascar posters?

How about this for a law: Anyone who brags about having guns, we SHOOT THAT PERSON. Sound fair?

That being said, I believe everyone should have the right to own firearms, and to carry them concealed. Criminals are going to do so anyway, so there's no point in outlawing it for everyone else. Police are a joke; they're too busy busting pot dealers and writing speeding tickets and it's impossible for them to get to the site of a robbery on-time. "Should each household be armed" is up to opinion. I don't mind if a capable neighbor who responsibly handles his firearms owns one, but living next to a careless neighbor who doesn't lock his guns and keeps them loaded all the time would have me putting up a "for sale" sign in my yard.

Training and gun-knowledge are important for owners, but I read somewhere in the beginning of this thread about a guy training his 5-year-old daughter to handle a gun. Really? So she's five years old and trained with a tool capable of murder. Hope she doesn't get into any arguments in school, she just might take it with her!

Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,109,872 times
Default Do you own firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Every household should be equipped with at least one good firearm. This is vital for self defense. Real life is not like the movies where some mad slasher invades the victim's home and takes forever to accomplish his task. Real violence is over and done with in seconds so you can't rely on the police for protection. In most situations the police arrive well after the fact just in time to clean up the mess. Anyone who relies on them is gambling with their lives and those of their loved ones.
Remember: The police job is to show up, take photos, write reports and draw a chalk outlines on the floor. It is entirely up to you to determine who is in that chalk outline.

In Switzerland most adult males are required by law the keep a full automatic weapon in their home, until they reach a certain age. The crime rate there is very, very low, and no other countries have ever tried to invade them.

If Charles Schumer, Harry Reid, Michael Bluemburg, and a few other liberal Democrats were to read these statistics, they wouldn't understand them. They have tried to read something into our Constitution that isn't there. We have a God given right to possess firearms. It is our choice whether or not we want to own firearms.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Do you own firearms? Should each household be armed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Learn to read: LEARNING how to use one is a life skill. If you are placed in a situation where you must use a gun, then knowing how to use one beforehand obviously helps.

However, anybody can tell you that the best way to defend your life in that situation is to not give the perpetrator a reason to use violence. Most people who break into homes just want the $... they're not looking for a murder sentence. And if you do happen to shoot the perp, remember that perps have friends too...
My life's work for 31 years has been in the security industry. Your statement is as false as false can be. Many violent criminals who break into a home do not want to leave anyone behind who can identify them. If the home owner owns a firearm and knows how to use it, the violence usually stops there, if they do no own a gun they are at the mercy of a criminal who is likely to kill them. It happens day in and day out. If you can not defend yourself and your home there will be no good outcome of a burglary.

And as I continue to read your posts I realize you make alot of assumptions you know absolutely nothing about. What do you know about the thoughts of burglars? I would like to suggest that you stick to just reading comic books, and give up on trying to write any. Base at least some of your thoughts on facts.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 11-03-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
In Maryland you can go to jail for shooting someone who breaks into your home, unless you can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the intruder was intending to harm you. So no, I don't own a gun because if someone broke into my house and I owned one, I would shoot him the minute I had the opportunity. It does concern that that states allow folks to walk around with concealed weapons, particulary in places like bars where judgment is impaired. Baltimore has one of the highest murder rates in the country and no one is legally able to pack an unconcealed weapon. Personally I don't care for guns but the bottom line is that law abiding citizens have a right to own them. Having never been the victim of a crime more serious than a car break-in, its hard for me to understand why people feel they are at such high risk for becoming a statistic but, I guess if I had ever been held up at gunpoint or worse I would have a different opinion.
Your opinion would change also if you had spent part of your life as a law enforcement officer. While employed as an LEO you face the worse possible segment of the population nightly. You see things happen the general public doesn't even hear about. It's your life, you never, ever forget it. You never want to put yourself in a position of being a victim. It happens, but always the the other person, right?

Old 11-03-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
lol... you can stop judging me from your *** anytime now. I live in East Oakland and spend a lot of my time in the higher-crime areas of it. The biggest annoyance here is the police, who have stopped me while I'm walking to ask me "what was I doing there" which later turned into they thought I looked similar to a suspect and some other BS. The cops think I'm just another ******... you have any similar experiences?
Darn, if you would have just said you were from East Oakland sooner, you would have stopped alot of us giving you any second thought. Now we all know why you think like you do. BTW do you own any guns? Do your neighbors? Soon the rest of the truth is going to come out. Are the police profiling you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies