Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 05:22 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm not going to argue with you because how you defend your family & property is up to you. All I'm saying is that there's risks involved when you attempt to defend yourself. Conversely, there's also risks involved when you don't. However, the risks tend to be higher when you do.

there are risks involve walking out of your front door everyday, risks are present each and every minute of everyday. people take measures to minimize those risks, and arming oneself is 1 step in mimizing that risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 05:43 AM

119 posts, read 263,642 times
Quote:
I'm not going to argue with you because how you defend your family & property is up to you. All I'm saying is that there's risks involved when you attempt to defend yourself. Conversely, there's also risks involved when you don't. However, the risks tend to be higher when you do.

Yet another lie perpetrated by the MSM and the anti-gun crowd.

I've done 4 years in the Army Rangers and 3 more as a bodyguard and combat handgun instructor, and you are going to tell me it's more dangerous to protect myself?

I may be wrong but you seem to be a person that has never had anything bad happen to you or witnessed the evil that men can do to each other. You live in a fantasy land if you think you can just roll over and allow a perp to take what he wants and nothing bad is going to happen to you.
I truly hope you never have to see it.

If you have made the decision that firearm ownership is not for you, that's fine. But don't go on a forum and spread lies and misconceptions about ownership and sef-defense.

Once again if you are considering a firearm for defense-
Get training
Practice
Train all the members in your household
Prepare yourself mentally for what you may have to do

If you can't do that, don't get one.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,676,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
thats you TK, no one else is trained enough to take out whole armies with their martial arts like you are.
I never claimed that--that's YOUR claim.

I suspect your gun makes you bulletproof though, right? I would think it very funny if you were ever shot with your own gun.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:30 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
That's why I like revolvers rather than automatics.
I'm just now learning to shoot and I've also already come to that conclusion. My step father and his brother take me shooting several times per year. We camp, cookout, target shoot and skeet shoot... There are usually a dozen or so of us and everyone brings several different guns for everyone to shoot. It's a good time... Being the newbie everyone was very helpful in showing me how to properly handle a gun. Safety is paramount. Everyone goes out of their way to give the person shooting a wide berth. Guns are always pointed down and your chamber is open, etc... Once the first beer is cracked the shooting is DONE for the day.

I was amazed at how unreliable many of the automatics are and how inaccurate a handgun is even at close range unless you are very well trained. Guns do NOT operate the way they do on TV and in the movies that's for sure! Part of it might be my inexperience in handling them but I was convinced that a revolver is the way to go for home protection.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,098,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
What's funny is that I live in N. Texas, and in my area which is heavily conservative only 2 out of 25 neighbors that are closest to me own firearms not including me. However, before I moved here I lived in Central Texas and it was EXTREMELY Liberal (for Texas) and 9/12 neighbors owned firearms.

I own firearms, and quite a lot of them, probably enough to make up for my neighbors. However, I do not feel that each household should own firearms, should they not want to. It is a Constitutional right, to be exercised at will, or not should they chose to.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:22 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
This is all under the assumption that you're already carrying a loaded weapon on you in your own home -which would honestly just be plain stupid
Nice insult. When my pants are on, I'm armed with my concealed carry pistol as well as a knife.

Quote:
or that you have enough time to get to the gun before he gets to you,.
Several guns are strategically placed throughout the house.

Quote:
if either of the above two conditions are met that you're able to get the jump on him.
As soon as the perimeter of my house is breached, my alarm sounds.

Quote:
A lot of house break in victims get caught up in a superman/hero complex and they pay the price for it.
Please post some facts to back up your statement. Here are my facts - The Armed Citizen .

I refuse to be a victim.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:29 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
You should wear a vest then too if you're going to carry at all times. Guns (and mechanical items in general) aren't the most reliable of objects to count on working properly and not malfunctioning 100% of the time.
Millions of Beretta model 92's are in the hands of the military and all mechanical malfunctions are documented. It took less than 10 broken slides from shooting hot loads before Beretta made a modification. I have a better chance of being struck by lightning on a clear day than having my weapon malfunction and fire a round.

I'd guess that 99.9% of all accidental shootings are in fact negligent discharges.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoWeb View Post
It was my general thought/presumption that most people do not have/own guns - -especially in a urban area (vs. farm country where I can easily assume people have guns). During multiple conversations with my neighbors over the last year or so I realized that most of them do own firearms.

Not sure if my area is an exception or if my assumptions were wrong. When I mentioned to one of my neighbors that I have none, they were extremely surprised and suggested 'I get on it.' I live in a large city, not somewhere isolated or in farm country and in a relatively safe neighborhood and owning firearms never came to my mind.

So this bring the question. Does your household owns firearms?
Do you think each household should? Do many of your neighbors/friends own firearms?

Just curious as to what people think of this.
Yes I have several loaded and ready. A shotgun in my personal choice to defend my house. Her in Texas if you break into my house I can defend my house with all force needed. The one time someone broke into my house they heard the click of the shot gun and left at that moment. I promise you if you break in my house you will hear that shot gun have about 5 seconds to decide to leave or stay. if you stay you will see the shotgun blast and that will be about all.

However if you catch me in another room i keep a loaded clock,
Do not have a home gun if it is not loaded and you will not use it if needed

Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,701 times
Quote:

This is where your training will come in handy. As Rick stated before I'm not going to draw my weapon if someone's just trying to take my wallet and he's no threat ( no gun,no knife) it's not worth it. Now if he's a threat you still need to assess the situation and make sure it's still your best option to draw on him,again lots of training and common sense here.

Now if someone breaks into my house I won't think twice,he's obviously here uninvited and already looking for trouble! I'm not going to try and reason with a thief in my home who could potentially be cracked out. Yes he was armed with one of my butcher knives from my kitchen and I feared for my life is all the police will need to know.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:06 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
Yet another lie perpetrated by the MSM and the anti-gun crowd.

I've done 4 years in the Army Rangers and 3 more as a bodyguard and combat handgun instructor, and you are going to tell me it's more dangerous to protect myself?

I may be wrong but you seem to be a person that has never had anything bad happen to you or witnessed the evil that men can do to each other. You live in a fantasy land if you think you can just roll over and allow a perp to take what he wants and nothing bad is going to happen to you.
I truly hope you never have to see it.

If you have made the decision that firearm ownership is not for you, that's fine. But don't go on a forum and spread lies and misconceptions about ownership and sef-defense.

Once again if you are considering a firearm for defense-
Get training
Practice
Train all the members in your household
Prepare yourself mentally for what you may have to do

If you can't do that, don't get one.

lol... you can stop judging me from your *** anytime now. I live in East Oakland and spend a lot of my time in the higher-crime areas of it. The biggest annoyance here is the police, who have stopped me while I'm walking to ask me "what was I doing there" which later turned into they thought I looked similar to a suspect and some other BS. The cops think I'm just another ******... you have any similar experiences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies