Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 AM

379 posts, read 211,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You won't be the one that convinces me of that nor will any of the media writers manage that, either. Keep trying because you may convince one or two but I won't be one of them.
then do some honest research to discover the truth. that shouldn't be all that difficult for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That must be a left-wing meme or catch-phrase spread around in an attempt to steer focus away from the real issues. I'm not hearing any friends, neighbors, and acquaintances around here talk about 'God, guns, and abortion.' They're all worried about jobs and the economy.
As a matter of fact it is somewhat of a left wing phrase, the left has been pretty vocal in their attempt to get the focus on the economy. I'm glad to hear of the shift but you'd have to at least acknowledge the truth of where the focus had been and in a lot of places in the US, sadly still is.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
People are not that easily swayed, I hope.Desperate Party's take Drastic Measures!
They sure do. Democrats sure are pounding away hard on the "annoying" button this morning. I saw the SAME attack ad FOUR TIMES this morning during the SAME commercial break. Back to back to back to back. Maybe they think if they pound their names into our brains enough times they will somehow put people into a lib-trance before they head to the polls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It's the violent, sanctimonious nature of your post that repels me most. Why is it that so many republicans approach life as if it was a battleground, and everyone that doesn't agree with them is stupid, or imposing on their freedoms?

I am a democrat, I embrace freedom for everyone, not just for the self-righteous, but for all. Regardless of who gets elected, you still have to learn to live with people maturely. Grow up.
Not sure what was violent about my post. I was simply making an observation. How can you not see the signs wherever you go? The bold part of your post is one of the funniest things I've seen on CD in a long time. Have you not witnessed the harsh attacks by die hard liberals on this forum, or are you just blind to it because you agree with them? It is a battleground going both ways. It's time to exit fantasyland. If there is any group that is intolerant of those around them with whom they disagree, it is liberals.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
As a matter of fact it is somewhat of a left wing phrase, the left has been pretty vocal in their attempt to get the focus on the economy.
What have the Dems been doing the last 4 years in control of Congress and the last 2 years with Obama as president? I don't see any focus on jobs and the economy. The focus has been on Obama's disastrous agenda. They even blatantly admit it:
Quote:
"She [Michelle Obama] was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband's agenda going," Campbell said.
Michelle Obama votes at Martin Luther King Center. Pool report - Lynn Sweet

Quote:
I'm glad to hear of the shift but you'd have to at least acknowledge the truth of where the focus had been and in a lot of places in the US, sadly still is.
What shift? Maybe the left-wing believes that to be true in order to deflect attention away from the Dems' miserable performance, but I can honestly tell you the number one concern is and has been jobs and the economy. Where've you been?
Quote:
...the public’s priorities for the president and Congress remain much as they were one year ago. Strengthening the nation’s economy and improving the job situation continue to top the list.
Public's Priorities for 2010: Economy, Jobs, Terrorism: Summary of Findings - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Nowhere on Pew Research's list is your supposed 'God, guns, and abortion.'

Old 11-01-2010, 07:05 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Free speech is guaranteed in our Constitution, as Dr. Thomas Sowell pointed out in an editorial over the weekend, but this administration is dead-set against anybody doing so,

HHS Kathleen Sebelius's admonishment that 'There will be zero tolerance of anyone who releases inaccurate information' regarding the costs associated with the new healthcare bill is straight out of the playbook of that MicroManager in Chief boss of hers, who also happens to not give a damn about the existence of the Constitution either.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:52 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
OK - Oregon, where I live, is usually a heavy liberal state. I spend a lot of time travelling up and down the main I-5 corridor between Eugene and Portland (which is a mostly traditionally democratic region), and places in between.

In the last two months, 80% of the political signage that is visible from the interstate is Republican based, and that % may be higher in residential areas. This is incredible, as the eastern region of the state (which is much more rural) is mostly conservative.

If Oregon is anything of a litmus test for the rest of the country, it is no wonder why Obama and his henchmen are grasping at any sign of life they can. As of the last couple of weeks, 90% of the political attack ad's on the TV are from the democratic base. Have the Republican candidates decided to refrain, as victory is imminent?

I plan to relax in front of my TV on election night and witness America stand up for its freedom and integrity. If you agree with the content of this thread, chime in.

If not, let us know what your loser in chief's next move will be.
Good call.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I give thanks to God that this administration won't get to appoint another supreme court justice.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
now that the republicans are in, lets see what happens...I bet you 10 to 1, the first part of they're agenda will be catering to all the special interest groups that funded they're campaigns....

sorry, but I no longer have any faith what so ever in these parties, there all as phony as a 3 dollar bill....

what really erks me, is, all the phone call I got every single day....sheeesh
and I'm on the do not call list...

then to add insult to injury, they spent so much money on commercials bashing each other...there is no way I'm going to vote for anyone who bashes another candidate, I want them to stand up and tell me what they intend to do for they're country.

I'm very conservative, but registered independent....

Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,672,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What have the Dems been doing the last 4 years in control of Congress and the last 2 years with Obama as president? I don't see any focus on jobs and the economy. The focus has been on Obama's disastrous agenda. They even blatantly admit it:Michelle Obama votes at Martin Luther King Center. Pool report - Lynn Sweet

What shift? Maybe the left-wing believes that to be true in order to deflect attention away from the Dems' miserable performance, but I can honestly tell you the number one concern is and has been jobs and the economy. Where've you been? Public's Priorities for 2010: Economy, Jobs, Terrorism: Summary of Findings - Pew Research Center for the People & the Press

Nowhere on Pew Research's list is your supposed 'God, guns, and abortion.'

I think the question of your own political whereabouts may be begging a bit here. First, you seem to be in the camp that sees the left and the Dems as one seamless political entity, read some of the left's more prolific authors and you'll find the condemnation of both parties to be a common trait in the writings of such authors. The American left is historically and theoretically more aligned with labor organizing and the rights of common citizens as opposed to the historical right wing alignment with the mercantile class and it's focus on the rights of that class.

Secondly, unless you are very young and can't remember the Moral Majority led by Falwell being hooked at the hip with the Republican party you'd have to admit that God, guns, and abortion was the focus of Republican politics for a very long time. Acting as though the recent events of this election will provide the jobs or economic well being for Americans ignores the fact that Wall Street and it's pals in BOTH parties have done us in, if you can concede that fact you certainly won't be too enthusiastic about this recent political circus and it's emphasis on change. Thinking that political polling and the so called "research" institutions findings are capable of determining anything more than the most recent reactions to mass media coverage means you would be missing the point that this last election was very much about God, guns, and abortion as well as jobs and other economic concerns.

Oh, about your first salvo regarding what have the Dems been doing with their power base in government, the short answer is they have done nothing that hasn't got the nod of approval from their masters who put them in power. You want to get yourself in a lather over politics please feel free to do so, but you shouldn't forget the history of this stinking pile of contrived theatrics that allows the little men to vent while the true power goes about it's business.....

Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
I think the question of your own political whereabouts may be begging a bit here. First, you seem to be in the camp that sees the left and the Dems as one seamless political entity, read some of the left's more prolific authors and you'll find the condemnation of both parties to be a common trait in the writings of such authors.
If so, why hasn't that trait carried over here to C-D? I really would like an answer to that question.

Quote:
The American left is historically and theoretically more aligned with labor organizing and the rights of common citizens as opposed to the historical right wing alignment with the mercantile class and it's focus on the rights of that class.
And yet it's the right wing that fought for civil rights and the left that fought against it. Hmmm...
Emancipation Revelation Revolution Documentary | The Battle Over Civil Rights

Quote:
Secondly, unless you are very young and can't remember the Moral Majority led by Falwell being hooked at the hip with the Republican party you'd have to admit that God, guns, and abortion was the focus of Republican politics for a very long time.
'Gods, guns, and abortion' has been an effective catch phrase meme used to manipulate the ignorant left, but has never been that big of a deal to the right. The key to understanding the right is to focus on the virtue of FISCAL conservativeness. Note how the Tea Party feels no qualms whatsoever about ousting Rs who are not fiscal conservatives.

Quote:
Acting as though the recent events of this election will provide the jobs or economic well being for Americans ignores the fact that Wall Street and it's pals in BOTH parties have done us in, if you can concede that fact you certainly won't be too enthusiastic about this recent political circus and it's emphasis on change.
I'm well aware there are problems on both sides. I see that admitted by those on the right here on C-D, and publicly by the Tea Party, as well. What we DON'T see are the lefties admitting that Dems are equally to blame.

Quote:
that political polling and the so called "research" institutions findings are capable of determining anything more than the most recent reactions to mass media coverage means you would be missing the point that this last election was very much about God, guns, and abortion as well as jobs and other economic concerns.
I heartily disagree. The nation didn't just suddenly sway from 'punish with a baby' Obama to R candidates because they 'suddenly' became concerned about God, guns, and abortion. This last election was most certainly about JOBS and THE ECONOMY. To think otherwise is disingenuous, to say the least.

Quote:
Oh, about your first salvo regarding what have the Dems been doing with their power base in government, the short answer is they have done nothing that hasn't got the nod of approval from their masters who put them in power.
Masters, maybe... but those who put them in power are the voters. The voters have now spoken, and they HIGHLY disapprove of the last 4 years (note the 60+ seat loss in the House).

Quote:
You want to get yourself in a lather over politics please feel free to do so, but you shouldn't forget the history of this stinking pile of contrived theatrics that allows the little men to vent while the true power goes about it's business.....
I'm not lathered up, merely pointing out to those on the left that they need to look into the mirror, too, when casting blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies