Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:54 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California, Hawaii and Florida the States Where the Most People Would Like to Live

Notably, Texas fell from 4th to 8th place. I'm often lectured by conservatives on this forum that California should be more like Texas. If Texas is so great, why is it #8 on the list?
California in general has better weather and more natural features like beatiful beaches, Yosemite, etc.

I personally love Texas as far as the people go, but will eventually move back to Knoxville, TN because there is so much more outdoors to do, and so much within a days drive.

I would imagine weather plays a huge role in people's answer. I mean, I'm shocked Alaska, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, or South Dakota didn't make it, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 02:31 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > California, Hawaii and Florida the States Where the Most People Would Like to Live

Notably, Texas fell from 4th to 8th place. I'm often lectured by conservatives on this forum that California should be more like Texas. If Texas is so great, why is it #8 on the list?
Geography and climate. Nothing more, nothing less

Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,469,734 times
I would like to live there, say back in the day. 1800's early 1900's. If you were going just by climate, beauty and sun, then yes, I would live there. Unfortunatley, the bad in CA out weighs the good. You can't live off of nice weather and a beach.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I take this as excellent news. Now maybe all those California folks will stop coming to Texas.
And maybe all those folks from other states running to Texas will go to California instead.

Texas is bad..stay away.
California is good...go move there.
You know once they see thoe pretty Texas women there is no turning back. Hell, I should know I married two of them before I got the hell out!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:

arizona and texas in the top ten, i like both states overall. at least we know that gun control is how many you can get in the ten ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I take this as excellent news. Now maybe all those California folks will stop coming to Texas.
And maybe all those folks from other states running to Texas will go to California instead.

Texas is bad..stay away.
California is good...go move there.
texas good, california bad. the women in texas are more real and i think better looking, and definitely more friendly.

i would also liked to have seen virginia and wyoming in the top ten as well. i liked both states when i lived in them as well.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,320,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I would easily live in California with enough money.
Which is the main reason why property costs so much and also the main reason why people who cannot afford the property leave the state. Any way you cut it California is a very attractive place to live and so the prices get bid up; supply and demand. Conversely, a lot of people who grew up here figure out they can't afford $700,000 for a four bedroom single family home and so they move to a place where they can afford to own a home. It's the free market at work.

That's why I shake my head at people who start threads like this claiming people left because of evil liberals or other such nonsense. It almost always comes down to money; people with it stay here or move here while people who don't have it move to where they can afford.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:10 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,659 times
Despite the high cost, and as F'd up as the politics here are, it's a pretty darn nice place to live.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:14 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
You are telling me people want to live in CA because of the politics and economy?

really? really? really?

Seriously, who wouldnt want to live in a place where it is nice and moderate temperature wise in the summer and not too cold in the winter and you can make day trips to go skiiing or day trips to go swimming in the ocean?

who wouldnt love to live where there are more hiking trails than humans? CA is awesome like that.

Texas has some really nice places but the weather can be a beating especially in the summer and you have to fly to the mountains and half of texans have to fly to get to Texas beaches....

so yea.....

but dont tell me that People want to live in CA because the people are nicer and the politics is better and the economy is booming.... what a joke.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
In my humble opinion the weather plays a big part in people wanting to live here, it's November and it's 80 degrees outside but I also think a lot of Nuttjobs are attracted to the politics and the anything goes attitude as in San Fran. and So Ca.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
California is a third world cesspool and has become the armpit of America unfortunately. I lived there in the 70s when it could still be called livable, and was beautiful. Have to get north of Redding to stop eyes from burning and coughing due to the heavy pollution. Now avoid it totally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies