Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Well okay, as his family is SDA they don't celebrate Halloween, so bad example LOL.

A toddler INSISTS? Sorry, in our household the PARENT decides what happens, a toddler can DEMAND all they wish - ain't happening.
Obviously the parent is the parent and the child doesn't make important decisions. If a child insists on doing something destructive (painting the wall), harmful (trying to fly off the roof), or unnecessarily unhealthy (only eating cookies for dinner, having a midnight bedtime) it's the duty of the parent to say NO.

The question here really is what's wrong with a 3 year old boy being Cinderella for Halloween? What's wrong with a 5 year old boy wanting to and then being allowed to wear a dress? What's wrong with being different? What's wrong with self-expression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
A CHILD of 2-5 is NOT able to make a decision that they are transgender - jumping jehosophat
Whoa. Where's transgendered coming from? Just because a boy is a little more feminine than average doesn't make him transgendered. He might be when he grows up, but the odds are he won't.

There are millions of successful, heterosexual (often married) cross-dressing men. They're not transgendered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And if their son turns out to not be gay, but simply like to "play", then what? A LIFE TIME OF HARASSMENT for no reason..
You do realize that a majority of cross-dressing adult men are HETEROSEXUAL.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,090,222 times
Maybe they had moms that dressed them like girls when they were young and impressional, screwing up their brains for life.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You do realize that a majority of cross-dressing adult men are HETEROSEXUAL.
You do realize that if a book was made about straight men cross dressing, they would still be ridiculed through society..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have nothing against people old enough to make a socail statement making one. I definately disagree with adults using a little child as their surrogate in the social wars.
I'd ask you to go back and re-watch the interview and specifically focus on when this boy's father talks. I actually took the time to type part of what he said in an earlier post. Here it is again:

Quote:
"I'm fine with it. I just want him to be happy and healthy, and it's the form he chooses to express himself and that's fine. I just - in the end when he's grown up - I want to be able to say no matter what he chooses is that, you know, I'm so glad my parents supported me - I can't believe I did that, or I'm glad that I was accepted for who I am - and that's the important thing. He knows he has a sanctuary at home."
What great parents. They're not using their child as a "surrogate in the social wars." There only agenda is love and acceptance (not only of their kid, but of all "different" kids). The dad clearly states it. He doesn't care if this turns out to be a phase and when grown up his son looks back and says "what the hell was I thinking", or if it turns out to be a true reflection of himself and he grows to become gay, transgendered, or just a feminine, heterosexual man. He just wants his son to know that his parents love and accept him unconditionally, and that his home will always be a sanctuary.

I can't think of a more positive, beautiful message to give a child.

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-08-2010 at 08:55 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
You do realize that if a book was made about straight men cross dressing, they would still be ridiculed through society..
Quote:
And? Being straight doesnt shield one from being ridiculed, nor does writing a book..
Just pointing out that dozens of such books already do exist.

I happen to personally know one heterosexual male crossdresser (funny enough he lives in Seattle - same as this family). My friend Chris' dad is a very successful, very happy, married, male heterosexual crossdresser. His wife knew about it when the got married, and it's never been an issue any of those 35 years. He's even in a band with 4 other married, male, heterosexual crossdressers. His family, his friends, and even his co-workers know he's a crossdresser. He's not ridiculed - the people in his life accept and encourage his differences.

There is a large portion of our society that is tolerant, open-minded, and loving. These people are accepting of differences. I find it very unfortunate and quite frankly sad that alongside that exists an equally large portion of our society that is intolerant, close-minded, hateful, and rejects, demonizes, and shames those who are different.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
One more time.

This kid first started wearing dresses at DAYCARE. His daycare has a dress-up closet, and he gravitated towards the dresses and the prettier "girl things". The first time the mother was alerted to this, she was concerned. She thought perhaps there were not enough "boy things", so she went out and bought a bunch of costumes geared towards boys (karate outfits, etc) and donated them to the daycare. It had no effect - he kept choosing to wear the "girl things" during play time.

Even more concerned, the parents sought expert advice about his preference for "girl things" (from doctors, child psychologists, etc). They all said it was perfectly normal and that more actual harm would come to him if his parents tried to suppress this harmless form of self-expression. These are two wonderful, loving, accepting, and supportive parents. I commend them.
It may have started in daycare but it didn't end there did it? The problem was saying it was perfectly normal to continue and make a public issue of it. At the very least they should teach him there is a time and place for everything. Nobody gets a free pass in life to do whatever they want, whenever they want, without hassle. And a boy in a dress at school will be hassled and there is nothing anyone can do about that. Understand I'm really just talkiing about the clothing he wears, when and wear, not whatever he IS.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It may have started in daycare but it didn't end there did it? The problem was saying it was perfectly normal to continue and make a public issue of it. At the very least they should teach him there is a time and place for everything. Nobody gets a free pass in life to do whatever they want, whenever they want, without hassle. And a boy in a dress at school will be hassled and there is nothing anyone can do about that. Understand I'm really just talkiing about the clothing he wears, when and wear, not whatever he IS.
My point is he shouldn't be hassled for wearing a dress in school. Why should I be ridiculed and shamed if I decided to go out tomorrow morning, buy a dress, and then wear it the rest of the week? If that's who I was, why should have to closet that aspect of my individuality and personality?

I understand the practical situation. Much of our country is close-minded and intolerant and teaches its kids to be the same. I understand those kids will isolate and bully kids like this boy because he's different. I also think trying to suppress the nature of a "different" child is much worse in the long run than letting him express it - even if it does lead to some degree of isolation and bullying by others. I went into depth in post 111 if you care to read more of my thoughts on this particular aspect of the issue.

//www.city-data.com/forum/16580656-post111.html

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-08-2010 at 09:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies