Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 07:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wont have to face bullying? Ooh please.. She INVITED bullying on her son. if her son stops "playing" and stops wearing a dress at age 7.. He will be BULLIED his whole life because of the book..

She's going to have to use those profits to pay for her sons therapy.. Win for the therapists, win for the bullies, she'll be lucky he doesnt commit suicide from all of the harrassment she just placed upon her son..
Well that's the rub. Unfortunately our society places these parents in a bit of a lose-lose situation. A large portion of our nation (particularly the religious right) insists upon conformity and demonizes diversity and differences. They teach their kids intolerance, which manifests as the isolation and bullying of kids who are different - masculine girls (tomboys), feminine boys (princess boys), eccentrics, the artistic, etc.

This puts parents of "different" kids in a tough position. On one hand, they can love and accept their "different" child and encourage him to be and express himself. This, as you correctly point out, unfortunately opens the kid up to bullying and ostracization.

On the other hand, parents of "different" kids can try and suppress their kid's expression of self in an effort to protect them.

These particular parents chose the first approach. As this boy's father puts it in the interview posted early, no matter what happens in the outside world, he wants his son to know that he is loved and accepted for who he is and that his home is a "sanctuary". The mom then went above and beyond and tried to get her specific community to be more accepting of her "different" kid.

Any expert (child psychologist) will tell you they've made the correct decision. The suppression method tends to fail on two points. One: trying to suppress your kid's expression of self nearly always fails. Their true self - their personality, their uniqueness - will come out, and they'll be bullied and ostracized to a degree anyway. Two: on top of that, they will feel unloved and rejected by their parents, which leads to internalized shame and self-hatred.

The answer is to love and accept your kid and encourage his differences.

I hate that this choice exists. I wish that all parents would teach their kids that it's okay to be different and to accept and celebrate the differences of others. The world would be a much better place that way. Books like My Princess Boy are a small, positive step in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 07:53 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
My almost 2 year old grandson likes to get into my box of costume jewellery, they're attracted to sparklies.......he also likes to clomp around in my high heels. Am I or his mother and father about to rush off and buy him a cinderella costume for next Halloween? I very much doubt it LOL

But then we don't have an agenda to push or a book to sell..........

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
My almost 2 year old grandson likes to get into my box of costume jewellery, they're attracted to sparklies.......he also likes to clomp around in my high heels. Am I or his mother and father about to rush off and buy him a cinderella costume for next Halloween? I very much doubt it LOL

If he specifically asked to be Cinderella for Halloween next year (or insisted upon being Cinderella - toddlers can be very demanding), what would you tell him?

Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times
Quote:

Oh my, there you go with some common sense which will unhinge the liberals. I suppose if some little tot thought they could fly those nuts would help him to the roof.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If he specifically asked to be Cinderella for Halloween next year (or insisted upon being Cinderella - toddlers can be very demanding), what would you tell him?
No, just like I'd tell them no if my son wanted to dress as a gangster, a pimp, etc.. issue over..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,092,613 times
Quote:

There you go! The libs do not understand the differance between an adult parent and a child. Sigh

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Quote:
Well okay, as his family is SDA they don't celebrate Halloween, so bad example LOL.

A toddler INSISTS? Sorry, in our household the PARENT decides what happens, a toddler can DEMAND all they wish - ain't happening.

A CHILD of 2-5 is NOT able to make a decision that they are transgender - jumping jehosophat

Old 11-08-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Oh my, there you go with some common sense which will unhinge the liberals. I suppose if some little tot thought they could fly those nuts would help him to the roof.
What's with the tendency of social conservatives to make ludicrous, nonsensical analogies?

Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Well that's the rub. Unfortunately our society places these parents in a bit of a lose-lose situation. A large portion of our nation (particularly the religious right) insists upon conformity and demonizes diversity and differences. They teach their kids intolerance, which manifests as the isolation and bullying of kids who are different - masculine girls (tomboys), feminine boys (princess boys), eccentrics, the artistic, etc.

This puts parents of "different" kids in a tough position. On one hand, they can love and accept their "different" child and encourage him to be and express himself. This, as you correctly point out, unfortunately opens the kid up to bullying and ostracization.

On the other hand, parents of "different" kids can try and suppress their kid's expression of self in an effort to protect them.

These particular parents chose the first approach. As this boy's father puts it in the interview posted early, no matter what happens in the outside world, he wants his son to know that he is loved and accepted for who he is and that his home is a "sanctuary". The mom then went above and beyond and tried to get her specific community to be more accepting of her "different" kid.

Any expert (child psychologist) will tell you they've made the correct decision. The suppression method tends to fail on two points. One: trying to suppress your kid's expression of self nearly always fails. Their true self - their personality, their uniqueness - will come out, and they'll be bullied and ostracized to a degree anyway. Two: on top of that, they will feel unloved and rejected by their parents, which leads to internalized shame and self-hatred.

The answer is to love and accept your kid and encourage his differences.

I hate that this choice exists. I wish that all parents would teach their kids that it's okay to be different and to accept and celebrate the differences of others. The world would be a much better place that way. Books like My Princess Boy are a small, positive step in that direction.
And if their son turns out to not be gay, but simply like to "play", then what? A LIFE TIME OF HARASSMENT for no reason..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Oh don't be ridiculous. I am a liberal and I agree with Opyelie, Ceece, and the others that have attempted to point out that this little child was being a little child and not making a life choice or a social statement and that his parents seized upon his natural 2 year old behavior to make THEIR social statement. I have nothing against people old enough to make a socail statement making one. I definately disagree with adults using a little child as their surrogate in the social wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies