Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They are stupid to you and to probably less than 1% of the population. To the more than 99% of the human race these analogies, well most of them anyway, make sense because they are differences between right and wrong.
You (nor anyone else) still have not been able to explain why this boy liking to wear what he considers pretty things is wrong. Until you can, I will continue to think there is nothing 'wrong' about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times
Oh for crying out loud. Some of you people are simply too much.

My son loved to clomp about the house in my high heeled shoes, with a towel on his head for "hair" from the age of about 2 until just before his 6th birthday.

Today he is a well adjusted, popular 8th grader with a penchant for gaming and a girlfriend he adores.

Just because a child likes to dress up in opposite-sex clothes doesn't mean that they are suffering from gender confusion. Sometimes, it's just fun. The majority of cross-dressing males are not gay, they're straight.

Even if the child does turn out to be gay, WHO CARES? If you narrow-minded people wouldn't insist on teaching your children that being different is a bad thing, there would be a little more tolerance in the world and a little less name calling and finger pointing.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
She probably wanted a girl and got a boy, so she is dressing him up that way. Or encouraging him to do it. I know of a couple that is doing that type of thing with their son. I say, the parents are messed in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The only thing this post shows is that you didn't read the article or watch the interview. Perhaps you should do so before you "contribute".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
I did read it.

Well, in that case it proves that either you chose to completely misrepresent the article, or that you have very poor reading/listening comprehension skills.

The facts of the story are:

1) A boy started wearing dresses while at daycare during dress-up play time.

2) When initially alerted to fact 1), the mother was very concerned and uncomfortable.

3) The mother's first response was to buy and donate masculine costumes to the daycare for her son to use during dress-up play time in order to discourage fact 1).

4) When the son continued to choose to wear dresses during dress-up play time at daycare, his parents (he has a dad too), still very concerned, sought out expert advice and took their son to see the family doctor and a child psychologist.

5) The experts told the parents that their son's behavior was harmless and that allowing it to continue (or to stop if he grew out of it) rather than trying to discourage and suppress it was the psychologically healthy thing to do.

To look at these facts and then conclude "She probably wanted a girl and got a boy, so she is dressing him up that way" is very disconnected from logic and reason.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,287,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
You (nor anyone else) still have not been able to explain why this boy liking to wear what he considers pretty things is wrong. Until you can, I will continue to think there is nothing 'wrong' about it.
Likewise, if you cannot tell me why tens of thousands of years of human sociological evolution should be thrown out the window then I will continue to feel that this is just wrong.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

My son loved to clomp about the house in my high heeled shoes, with a towel on his head for "hair" from the age of about 2 until just before his 6th birthday.

Today he is a well adjusted, popular 8th grader with a penchant for gaming and a girlfriend he adores.

Just because a child likes to dress up in opposite-sex clothes doesn't mean that they are suffering from gender confusion. Sometimes, it's just fun. The majority of cross-dressing males are not gay, they're straight.

Even if the child does turn out to be gay, WHO CARES? If you narrow-minded people wouldn't insist on teaching your children that being different is a bad thing, there would be a little more tolerance in the world and a little less name calling and finger pointing.
That's not the problem Kele. The problem is the mother, who is presumably an adult, wants to perpetuate it.
BTW, none of the gay men I know wear dresses.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Likewise, if you cannot tell me why tens of thousands of years of human sociological evolution should be thrown out the window then I will continue to feel that this is just wrong.
Huh? Many other cultures are (or have been) much more accepting of "different" people - feminine men (princess boys), masculine girls (tomboys), eccentrics, the artistic, etc - than the predominate culture of United States of America (many cultures within the US are accepting). This is true of both historical and modern cultures. I love America to death, but it's biggest shortcoming in my eyes is this propensity towards close-minded intolerance (let's not beat around the bush - it's based in rigid conservative Christianity).

Don't equate the norms in the US with the culmination of "tens of thousands of yeas of human sociological evolution". That's just silly.

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-09-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
That's not the problem Kele. The problem is the mother, who is presumably an adult, wants to perpetuate it.
It's not just the mother. The father is also extremely loving and supportive. And no, they do not want to perpetuate it. Where did you get that idea from???????

If their son gave up wanted to wear "girly things" tomorrow, they'd totally let him (see the father's segment of the interview for the best expression of this). I even imagine they'd be relieved. They just want to provide a loving and supporting environment (a "sanctuary" as the father puts it) if this is how their son continues to express himself (of even if it's not and he goes a different route).

Last edited by hammertime33; 11-09-2010 at 01:19 PM..

Old 11-09-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh? Many other cultures are (or have been) much more accepting of "different" people - feminine men (princess boys), masculine girls (tomboys), eccentrics, the artistic, etc - than the United States of America. This is true of both historical and modern cultures. I love America to death, but it's biggest shortcoming in my eyes is this propensity towards close-minded intolerance (let's not slip hairs - it's based in rigid conservative Christianity).

Don't equate the norms in the US with the culmination of "tens of thousands of yeas of human sociological evolution". That's just silly.
So, you are saying that they are regularly putting their boys in dresses everywhere else but here, are you? That's just silly
BTW if you had ever seen paintings of boys from well-to-do families in early 19th century America, you would see dresses on them.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
So, you are saying that they are regularly putting their boys in dresses everywhere else but here, are you? That's just silly
BTW if you had ever seen paintings of boys from well-to-do families in early 19th century America, you would see dresses on them.
No, that's not even remotely close to what I said.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

Dressing up at home with a towel on his head and in your shoes is a little different than dressing as a girl all the time and going out in public, no one cares if he's gay or a cross dresser when he grows up, nobody really cares what HE does now. It's a matter that his parents dressed him as a girl and that’s wrong, he should have been told how he is suppose to dress that’s what parents do they protect their children from harm and making the wrong decision which a 3 year old is in no position to do at such a young age.
Then later in life if he decides he wants to wear a dress fine for him
A 2 year old doesn’t tell his parents what he will wear, his brain does not understand the consequences of his choice, his parents fail to protect him and guild him, they bought the clothes and dressed him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies