Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:20 AM

13 posts, read 14,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Typical liberal BS. I'm white and grew up in poverty, but escaped it through hard work. Anybody of any race of ethnicity can do the same -especially in America. If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere.
I am not trying to say some whites didn't grow up in poverty. When you got that important interview though, and you sat in front of them, could they possibly tell that you were from an impoverished background? No, they couldn't. Minorities can work their butts off and get nowhere fast because of that inevitable face to face barrier. I am from and still live in the inner city today (I'm 18). I see firsthand how hard people work to get very little, while my surburbia buddies have life basically handed to them. The level of commitment has to be 10 times more because I have had to basically go against the grain of my culture and become a total outcast, which is not easy for ANY teenager. While my peers are selling narcotics and doing other crimes, it is perfectly okay for a white person to go to college because everyone else is doing it. I cannot stress how hard it is to stay focused andd on the right path when friends that you've grown up with are dying and getting incarcerated on the daily basis. I am always constantly torn between two totally different worlds. I can never fully concentrate on improving my place in society when I am trying to get everybody I grew up with on the same page. Lot's of people say "just do you" but I will never become a "sellout" (abandoning your culture 4 money) which is basically what has to be done for a black man to enter "White America" succesfully.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
I know where you are coming from. And you have to understand that drugs and prison time are not culture. My best advice to you is to get involved with the arts, theater arts, and music scene. That's what I did. When I went to a massive so-called "liberal" college ,it was horrible, because their art scene was this hoity toity uptight racist white scene that had zero culture and zero empathy for people who are different. Then I went to the big city and life is constantly enriching. Take that path. Don't look back at the ghetto life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson74 View Post
I am not trying to say some whites didn't grow up in poverty. When you got that important interview though, and you sat in front of them, could they possibly tell that you were from an impoverished background? No, they couldn't. Minorities can work their butts off and get nowhere fast because of that inevitable face to face barrier. I am from and still live in the inner city today (I'm 18). I see firsthand how hard people work to get very little, while my surburbia buddies have life basically handed to them. The level of commitment has to be 10 times more because I have had to basically go against the grain of my culture and become a total outcast, which is not easy for ANY teenager. While my peers are selling narcotics and doing other crimes, it is perfectly okay for a white person to go to college because everyone else is doing it. I cannot stress how hard it is to stay focused andd on the right path when friends that you've grown up with are dying and getting incarcerated on the daily basis. I am always constantly torn between two totally different worlds. I can never fully concentrate on improving my place in society when I am trying to get everybody I grew up with on the same page. Lot's of people say "just do you" but I will never become a "sellout" (abandoning your culture 4 money) which is basically what has to be done for a black man to enter "White America" succesfully.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:24 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,764,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
The South was the best place for the blacks! They had free food and free housing for little work. When they moved to the north they started to cry for benefits and they realized what they lost. Oh... and you know that there were as many whites as blacks who worked the crops, no? Just 3% of the whites owned slaves... compared with 7% of the blacks.
Today the South is the least segregated in the US (check the census data ...there were some maps based on it even here on the forum).

... what planet did you drop off of again? Have you EVER done field work in your life for more than an hour, let alone doing it for 18 hours a day? I'm not even going to go into family-splitting, the animalistic treatment of the slaves and etc... do you know the kind of toll that an 18 hour work day in the field would take on your body/affect your body if you've been doing it since you were able to use the tools? I"m going to stop right there... the post is so ignorant that I can only assume that you're being willfully ignorant. Obviously nothing I say is going to convince you that only an idiot would want the life of an african american slave.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 AM

I'm not even black and I can recognize that slave labor was terrible. It's plain as day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
... what planet did you drop off of again? Have you EVER done field work in your life for more than an hour, let alone doing it for 18 hours a day? I'm not even going to go into family-splitting, the animalistic treatment of the slaves and etc... do you know the kind of toll that an 18 hour work day in the field would take on your body/affect your body if you've been doing it since you were able to use the tools? I"m going to stop right there... the post is so ignorant that I can only assume that you're being willfully ignorant. Obviously nothing I say is going to convince you that only an idiot would want the life of an african american slave.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,872,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
And how do Hispanics and Jamaicans have it better than blacks exactly? I wouldn't call complaining about them racism.

It's damaging when a ruling class or clique are racist i.e., white people.........

If blacks decided to hate whites nothing terrible would happen to most whites......
If Blacks decided to hate Whites nothing terrible would happen,REALLY ???

You must have coveniently FORGOT about the LA Riots after the Rodney King verdict when LA was burned and looted and angry Blacks attacked Whites,Koreans and others.

Racism met with Racism can get ugly real fast. California's prisons have had Black vs Hispanic violence for years.
Is Obama not of the ruling class?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How do you even know what white privilege is when you have it all the time? You are so accustomed to white privilege. You boast and brag about your hard work which is awfully strange for someone who works hard.

It's how you are treated within your job that counts, too. Social stratification is real. Minorities are stratified toward the bottom. Whites are treated better in general even in the U.S. Army.
I saw many minorities go far in the Army. The rank attained is only limited by an individual's ambition and drive. Many blacks did better than I did. Also, my MOS kept me in medical/supply regiments which are heavily minority orientated. If anything I experienced more black on white discrimination than anything else.

Besides, the logic that hard work equals success is unassailable try as you might. "White Privilege" is a ridiculous excuse or argument in this day and age. I see three different doctors on a regular basis and two of them are black. The president is black. The DA of my hometown (Dallas, TX) is black. Get over it already.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:31 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Well... I come from a country where people had to work 20 hours/day to have food and be able to provide for their families. And yes... in agriculture.
My grandparents worked like that (here in Switzerland). My father worked like that until he left for college. I worked like that when I was younger and I visited my grandparents.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 14,214 times
Why is Obama always considered black? He is just as much white and he was raised by his white mother and never knew his black father. So why is he not white?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 AM

Although I really respect Obama. He is actually an Uncle Tom.

And blacks would not have rioted had they not been treated so poorly. Rodney King was just a catalyst. The uproar was steaming right below the picture perfect surface of California liberalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
If Blacks decided to hate Whites nothing terrible
would happen,REALLY ???

You must have coveniently FORGOT about the LA Riots after the Rodney King verdict when LA was burned and looted and angry Blacks attacked Whites,Koreans and others.

Racism met with Racism can get ugly real fast. California's prisons have had Black vs Hispanic violence for years.
Is Obama not of the ruling class?

Old 11-12-2010, 01:35 AM

Obama is really an Uncle Tom. Sure, he has stood true to his moderate leanings. He is articulate and extremely smart. However, the ruling class are always white people i.e., corporate interests, etc. And Obama is along for the ride, telling both sides what they want to hear, while sounding genteel and looking debonair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson74 View Post
Why is Obama always considered black? He is just as much white and he was raised by his white mother and never knew his black father. So why is he not white?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies