Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 02:46 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Ugh. I can relate. I'm a minority. And I've tried to discuss various minority related issues with people. And the majority of the time whites just do not get it. They have a severe lack of empathy and a horrifying lack of compassion. Half of the time I feel as if I am trying to communicate with profoundly retarded individuals. I guess they are the relatives of slave owners. They seem to think that everybody should be happy being a slave instead of speaking out for freedom and independence.
I suspect it has more to do with the way you think of and address other people than the subject matter.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:47 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
I've seen black people being racist before, and I don't have trouble calling them on it.

I've also known black people that had no trouble getting along with people of other races. Every person is taken on an individual basis.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:22 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
In my time on CD, I've seen an incredible number of black people calling white people racist. I've also seen issues amongst Hispanic posters and whites. Do people not realize that racism goes both ways?

I personally am quite tired of being told I'm racist when trying to address the facts about minority communities, or just for the fact that I'm a conservative who tends to vote Republican.

Facts are facts and cannot be disputed. I don't treat people any differently based on their skin color. The only time I treat people differently is when they do behaviors that are unacceptable. Until people get it through their heads that it's less about race and more about lifestyle, race relations cannot change. That goes for any race or ethnic group, but it seems like white people are accused of hindering this transition more than any other group.

I want to know why people only talk about how whites are racist when other groups do it as well, perhaps more so, and for some reason, among minorities, it's acceptable to discuss white people in a negative stereotypical manner.

Who says racism doesn't go both ways? Racism is a human trait and not segregated to Whites. However, when statements are made that appear to be generalizing one race, when you make judgements as if you are more superior to the opposit race, then yes you will be seen as a racists. Is it fair or fact? Maybe, maybe not.
Blacks can be just as biased against Whites and hispanics as Whites are against Black and Hispanics, the difference is, I've never see a Black poster write or say, "if a black person can't afford to move their family out of the ghetto, they don't care". News flash, there are not only hispanics, living in the low parts of town, but there are also whites, Asians, Indian's, ects. To make blanket statements as if you know what a person's situation is, based upon news stories make you not only ignorant but biased and possibly racists.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:44 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is exactly why job discrimination exists. Why do you assume that the minority isn't as qualified as the white person? Unless the currently minority-run fortune 500 (the key word being fortune 500) are all crashing and burning, where's your proof? You just unwittingly stated the real reason why whites control a disproportionate amount of the businesses; our culture tells us that white people are more qualified simply by being white. You're not even white but you were still comfortable saying this...
Ironic for someone who calls himself unbrainwashed...........

Old 11-12-2010, 05:45 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And so what do you want to do? Place a minority in there that probably isn't as qualified as the white person, put him in a leadership position purely based on his skin color? That's pretty dumb, IMO. Minorities need to stop complaining so much, and step up to the plate instead. And by the way, yes you have to look at history to learn from the past to not make the same mistakes again, but too many liberals and minorities live in the past when it comes to demanding reparations for actions committed by whites over 100 years ago. If you want minority CEOs, then encourage blacks to invest in the company stock to get a preferable seat on the board of directors.
What you don't seem to understand is that there is still dsicrmination and exclusion practiced in many workplaces around the country.

There are plenty of minorities "Stepping up to the plate. What minorities are talking about is stepping up to the plate and still getting doors slammed in their faces.

It still happens and just because you don't see it happen doesn't make it any less real.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
but i no longer want to hear "whites" talk about what goes on in "minority communities" if they're not doing anything to help
And trying to help sometimes is like beating your head against a wall...especially when they make no effort to help themselves.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This is exactly why job discrimination exists. Why do you assume that the minority isn't as qualified as the white person? Unless the currently minority-run fortune 500 (the key word being fortune 500) are all crashing and burning, where's your proof? You just unwittingly stated the real reason why whites control a disproportionate amount of the businesses; our culture tells us that white people are more qualified simply by being white. You're not even white but you were still comfortable saying this...
Cosigned and I'd rep you again if I could!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
and a LARGE percentage of whites (especially dare I say it, white females) will NEVER be CEOs of fortune 500 companies - so I guess whites are discriminating against other whites as well.............
If you are talking about gender discrimination, then yes, you'd be correct. White males have historically discriminated against women and that includes White women with respect to jobs, promotions, access to capital and prior to women's suffrage the right to vote.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I think the majority of middle management are white women now. I do not have an article but I thought I read it. White women aren't really being discriminated against in the way you think.
Actually women are still discriminated against in this country especially in regard to equal pay for equal work.

Workplace Fairness - Short-Changed || discrimination

Discrimination Against Women in the Workplace

Women also face discrimination in the workplace with regards to how they are treated when they are pregnant.

USATODAY.com - Pregnant workers report growing discrimination

Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
All people`are racist, that's the nature of the beast. Some are able to intellectually overcome that, some are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies