Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 06:52 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times

Advertisements

I am tired of the racist label for anyone. I find it interesting that in America where anyone can start their own company whenever they have the knowledge and desire to do so; that there is a thread saying that anyone is being held back. You don't have to work for someone else. Work two jobs, save your money and start your own company. My dad was a sharecropper that worked as a night watchman also and saved his money and bought his own farm. Your opportunities are only as big as your will to get it done. Stop with the excuses.

I think Florida.Bob has a point. We are who we are and there is nothing wrong with thinking that is all right and as long as there is freedom in this country, people will express differences, hopefully in a civil manner.

The most racist thing I have witnessed on these threads is someone asking what the racial makeup is of a particular area because they want to be with others of their own kind. Get out of your comfort zone and learn about someone that is not of your own race. We have missionaries that go into other countries and live in areas where they are the only people there of their race. When it comes down to it, we are all just human and our pastor said there are only two kinds of humans--saved and unsaved. That is the way I look at it too.

We lived in a neighborhood that the government changed by starting something called the 235 plan. We tried to stay and help the neighborhood work, but SOME of the black people there would not accept us and beat up our children, wrote mean things on our black door, treated us rudely because for some reason they resented us. We had to move for the safety of our children. Not to mention that every home in the area had been robbed at least once. Much of the problems the black people in this country have were caused by themselves. Nobody wants to live in a high crime area. Why does it seem that so much crime seems to find black neighborhoods. When we moved from our once safe neighborhood, there had been seven murders within a mile of our home in one year. We still see that neighborhood on the nightly news many times. We did not leave the neighborhood because black people moved in, we left the neighborhood because we were no longer safe there.

Last edited by NCN; 11-12-2010 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-12-2010, 07:01 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson74 View Post
Try to put yourself in a black person's shoes. Ever since you were little you had very little, but white people had nice cars, nice houses, their kids get allowances, their own rooms, and a liscence and a car by the time their 16.. Then you watch Roots or something and see what evil whites have done to blacks. How the h*ll would you feel towards white people! Blacks built this country through their hard work while whites sat in a pretty office. Did they get credit? NO. Equality? NO. Just because laws change mindset that has been passed down the generations are not. That mindset is that whites are "better" than blacks. Because of this, they were never given "equal oppurtunity." A black baby from the "hood" will always have to work ten times harder to get where that white baby from the suburbs will get with little effort. I am far from racist, but it truly, truly, pisses me off when white people act like it doesn't exist anymore and that the messed up history from the past is not directly affecting the world today. YOu cant, as a culture just get over centuries over mistreatment and abuse with a couple of signed pieces of paper (slavery and segregation laws).

I agree that Black Americans contributed to building this country. But let's not act like EVERY white person was sitting in an office somewhere. That is patently false.

There is a case to be made for historical racism. But you don't have exaggerate the contributions of Black Americans or make it seem like the majority of White Americans where just sitting on their *sses doing nothing.
When comments are made like this it does nothing to contribute to the goal of mutual respect and understanding, which is the best way to ELIMINATE RAC ISM.

Just about every group of people that have come to this country have contributed something positive to it.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:51 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
In the sense that most people use it, yes it is. There may or may not be differences in height between certain races compared to others, and even this isn't really accurate. Blacks have a stereotype for being tall; why do Africans tend to be on the shorter side? Simple; their diet doesn't tend to be as balanced. Same with asians in much of asia and latinos in much of latin america. As far as the idea that blacks and latinos are more predisposed to be criminals than others, this is PURELY an American social construct. I guess that the 20/100 K murder average in a white-bread city like Glasgow really show how non-murderous white people are when there's no minorities to blame all the crime on And for those who'll say that "the majority of European cities and countries do not have high crime" the same goes for the majority of latin american countries and asian countries that have considerably higher poverty rates than Scotland does. Poverty does not = high cime... the culture has a lot more to do with crime. America has a violent culture that directly impacts the poor... being poor has very little to do with why impoverished americans commit more violent crimes per capita than other american social classes. This is, of course, completely ignoring white collar crime which *GASP* white people get caught up in all the time, and it generally involves the aforemented fortune 500 companies these people run. And yet white people are supposed to be more qualified to run these companies because they're white?
I saw many straw men in this argument.

Poverty is often indicative of the level of violent crimes committed. There is simply nothing better for these people to do with their lives than commit crimes. If they had any morals at all, they would be at work and taking care of their families rather than out making trouble. The non-working poor also have a sense of entitlement so they believe they can rob, cheat and kill for whatever they believe they're owed. They feel completely justified in their actions in many cases.

Why do you honestly think so many people, both black and white, are afraid of going in the ghetto? It's a poor, run-down area with high crime. Drugs, meaningless violence, home invasions and armed robbery are just a few examples. Generally, minorities commit most of these crimes. "White crimes" are generally related to money, like theft and manipulating someone out of their money, like the crooked CEOs we heard about on the news last year. I will say that to me, it seems like more white women are raped than black women, but I can't say who the perpetrators are, although I believe whites are probably responsible for more of that behavior. (And yes, that is a violent criminal act.) Much white crime targets people we know while minority crime tends to be directed at any random person, without even having a reason. Not to say either are justified, but I believe I'm safer around white people b/c the chance of a random crime happening to me is much less than if I were to take a stroll through the ghetto.

So, if you're saying the culture, not poverty level, has to do with why minorities have a high crime rate, are you admitting there is something inherently wrong, then, with minority culture?

White collar crimes are usually committed because of greed. There are more white people in CEO positions and positions of power, so they are in a better position to commit white collar crimes. If just as many blacks were in these positions, do you think it would never happen? Another straw man.

Whites might be more qualified for some positions but that is not to say that blacks are never qualified and don't deserve a chance. However, you don't know the dynamics of every successful company, so you're not in a position to tell them they're wrong b/c they do not have a black person leading the way. Maybe they don't have a qualified black person to promote, maybe no black people even work there, you just don't know.

And why do we keep talking about Fortune 500 companies? There are many, many, many successful companies that are not Fortune 500s. Mind you, chain stores and franchises are counted as their own separate companies and might be more successful as a whole than any Fortune 500 company.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Great thesis Flava. And do not forget that those CEOs, CFOs, board directors, and politicians rarely get prison or probation for any of their crimes. Everything is neatly swept under the rug and then blame is further attributed to minorities and the poor for causing all of the society's problems.
Ever heard of Bernie Madoff? Dennis Kozlowski? Jeffrey Skilling?

Charlie Rangel?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
All of the white people I've known have all had an almost identical story, of how they had to break loose from a family history of racism and hatred against black people. This need for white people to liberate themselves from racists parents, family members or communities seems to be quite common.

Last edited by dorado0359; 11-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
And maybe, just maybe, those "other" white people you speak of actually aren't qualified. I'm talking about minorities who are trying to attain these jobs AT THIS MINUTE who are not getting the jobs for x number of reasons, one of which likely being job discrimination. Does it amaze you that minorities can be looked over for being minorities when gays can and are being fired for being gay in some states? Seriously?
Maybe, just maybe, those black people aren't qualified. Maybe white women are trying to attain these jobs AT THIS MINUTE and are not getting the jobs for x number of reasons, one of which likely being job discrimination. Does it amaze you that white women can be looked over for being minorities when gays can and are being fired for being in some states? Seriously?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,005,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Maybe, just maybe, those black people aren't qualified. Maybe white women are trying to attain these jobs AT THIS MINUTE and are not getting the jobs for x number of reasons, one of which likely being job discrimination. Does it amaze you that white women can be looked over for being minorities when gays can and are being fired for being in some states? Seriously?
white women are NOT minorities. They occupy every managerial/executive/leadership position that you can shake a stick at. And they are not always qualified either, just like their white brothers. They are the main recipients of the Affrimative Action programs that most conservatives scoff at and among the first to sell another "minority" down the river.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Try to put yourself in a black person's shoes. Ever since you were little you had very little, but white people had nice cars, nice houses, their kids get allowances, their own rooms, and a liscence and a car by the time their 16.. Then you watch Roots or something and see what evil whites have done to blacks. How the h*ll would you feel towards white people! Blacks built this country through their hard work while whites sat in a pretty office. Did they get credit? NO. Equality? NO. Just because laws change mindset that has been passed down the generations are not. That mindset is that whites are "better" than blacks. Because of this, they were never given "equal oppurtunity." A black baby from the "hood" will always have to work ten times harder to get where that white baby from the suburbs will get with little effort. I am far from racist, but it truly, truly, pisses me off when white people act like it doesn't exist anymore and that the messed up history from the past is not directly affecting the world today. YOu cant, as a culture just get over centuries over mistreatment and abuse with a couple of signed pieces of paper (slavery and segregation laws).
Wow, this is exactly the type of thinking that will never allow racial relations to improve.

#1 Not every white kid has their own room (my two white nephews share a room and my two Cuban sisters live with my father in his home and all four of their children live with them so I'm sure there's some room sharing going on there, too).

#2 Not all white people live in nice houses. Far from it. I personally don't live in a nice house, never have. I honestly don't know many people who do. I don't really know many people who live in filth, either, though.

#3 I got my license when I was 16 b/c my parents taught me and I took driver's ed, my husband got his when he was 17 or 18. My BIL got his when he was 18 (I had to take him b/c his mom didn't care), my 19 y/o niece still doesn't have hers, my almost 16 y/o nephew doesn't even have a permit yet...the list goes on.

#4 Not all white kids get an allowance. None of my nieces or nephews do, my husband didn't. I did but I had to do chores around the house to earn it and it's not like I got a lot. I agree with giving an allowance b/c it teaches your kid to earn their way, even if it's only like a dollar or two each week. Following that line of thinking, I wish ghetto kids did get an allowance. Teach them a thing or two about the real world.

#5 Whites did not just sit in a pretty office. Did we not sail across the ocean to come here and take a chance on a better life? Did we not fight to get land here? Did we not grow our own food, build houses, develop communities and come up with a government system? You are out of your mind. After slavery ended, the blacks were given 40 acres and a mule...how did they work for what they have??

#6 Anyone who watches Roots and says "evil whitey!" needs therapy. It was something that happened a long time ago and is not indicative of society today. That is one thing that really pisses ME off, when blacks bring it up as a reason to hate whites in this day and age. It's ridiculous.

#7 I'm pretty sure many whites do not think they're better than any minority. We are, however, a majority, and the majority tends to rule. That's just a fact of life.

#8 Yes, a black baby from the hood will have to work harder than the white person in the suburbs. How about the white person in the hood versus the black person in the suburbs? With hard work and goals, anybody can become anything they dream of, race aside.

#9 You can just get over it. Blacks and all other minorities have equal rights. What you're not remembering is that with rights come responsibilities. It's not my responsibility to get you to a better place in life. It's your responsibility to change your life if you don't like it. You have just as many rights as I do. Slavery is really not affecting the world that whites live in except that we have to deal with listening to blacks try to point the finger and blame whitey for something that ended 150 years ago to use as an excuse for why they're failing in life, or at least failing to release their hatred for the white man.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, white people got out there and grew those cash crops... lol more whites in poverty than blacks lmao.. What's in that milk you're drinking?
According to the U.S Census Bureau's 2009 Community Population Survey there were 242,047,000 people identified as "White Alone" of those people 29,830,000 were identified as 100% below the poverty level.

Poverty 1--Part 100_03

According to the same data there were 38,556,000 people identified as "Black Alone" of those people 9,944,000 were identified as 100% below the poverty level.
http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/cpsta...w01_100_06.htm

In short there are a higher percentage of Black Americans that are poor when compared to the overall population of Black Americans than there are poor White Americans when compared to the overall population of White Americans.

However on the basis of just numbers there are 29,830,000 White Americans were identified as 100% below the poverty level in comparison to 9,944,000 Black Americans. In short there over three times as many White Americans identified as 100% below the poverty level.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
There's no "preferred usage of words" here... you're using it completely incorrectly. Not understanding that racism does not describe what your talking about in any form is problematic. You want me to write in Spanish? I can do that too.

No tiene mucho sentido, no?
Don't be rude.

You are doing what everyone else does during debates on race. You're mincing words.

The bigger point of this thread, as the OP, is that whites are accused of so much ethnocentrism and discrimination against blacks, yet it's seemingly okay for blacks to make jokes about whites and do discriminatory things and stereotyping. Black comedians have multiple bits about whites that they think are just hilarious, yet if a white person did that, there would be crickets. Something is wrong here.

Get back on topic, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies