Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 01:56 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I'm not black. And I will not stop talking about racism. Because when blacks are oppressed. That means Jews, gays, Latinos, the impoverished, etc. can also be oppressed, sooner or later all minority groups can be oppressed.

That actor is an Uncle Tom. He is acting on behalf of what white Anglo people want to hear. No white person wants to hear a black man address issues head on like Jimmy McMillan has addressed poverty.
How come every black man that breaks out of the "ghetto mentality prison for your mind" and is smart enough to think for himself is always labeled an Uncle Tom? Misery loves company and losers always hate a winner.

I'm getting tired. Good night.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
You asked me if I worked the fields and then you posted all those lies?

You know that there was slavery in Europe too and the slaves were white, no?

My grand grand mother used to work for a land owner and from what I know from my father she said that it was better being a "slave" than having to deal with all those problems that appeared after everybody was able to own land.

I asked about YOUR family. And the slavery you speak of was not race slavery. I'm obviously talking to someone who won't get the difference between slavery (not being paid for your work) and the race slavery of America (not given any rights because you're not considered human under the law to begin with; having less rights than the cows you sleep next to). Dealing with people like you in real life is exactly why I had to learn not place much weight on the opinions of people who will never understand the lot of blacks in America and don't plan to anyway. If I did I would have gone clinically insane by now.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Talking about racism is "ghetto mentality?" Tim Wise, Michael Moore, etc. aren't even black and they have discussed race issues.

Professors of color such as Yancy and Bonilla-Silva have authored excellent academic and written works on race relations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
How come every black man that breaks out of the "ghetto mentality prison for your mind" and is smart enough to think for himself is always labeled an Uncle Tom? Misery loves company and losers always hate a winner.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post

Its not every black man... its black men who completely assimiliate into mainstream culture. To do that would mean to literally have or pretend to have the mainstream state of mind (which pushes the issues that poor blacks and poor people in general face safely to the side unless it can make a good COPS episode). A successful black man that does not give a **** about the struggles his fellow black men face is labeled an Uncle Tom. Successful black men that do care largely don't exist... the mainstream doesn't support them. Instead, it lashes against them and calls them "bigoted" and "anti-american". Some will immediately assume I'm talking about Reverend Wright (when I'm not).

Old 11-12-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Talking about racism is "ghetto mentality?" Tim Wise, Michael Moore, etc. aren't even black and they have discussed race issues.

Professors of color such as Yancy and Bonilla-Silva have authored excellent academic and written works on race relations.
You called Morgan Freeman an Uncle Tom, which is "ghetto mentality" BS. Don't try to change the subject. Good for Mr. Freeman that he doesn't buy into it, which explains a large part of his success.

Anyway, I really do need to get some sleep. Peace.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:05 AM

Ugh. I can relate. I'm a minority. And I've tried to discuss various minority related issues with people. And the majority of the time whites just do not get it. They have a severe lack of empathy and a horrifying lack of compassion. Half of the time I feel as if I am trying to communicate with profoundly retarded individuals. I guess they are the relatives of slave owners. They seem to think that everybody should be happy being a slave instead of speaking out for freedom and independence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I asked about YOUR family. And the slavery you speak of was not race slavery. I'm obviously talking to someone who won't get the difference between slavery (not being paid for your work) and the race slavery of America (not given any rights because you're not considered human under the law to begin with; having less rights than the cows you sleep next to). Dealing with people like you in real life is exactly why I had to learn not place much weight on the opinions of people who will never understand the lot of blacks in America and don't plan to anyway. If I did I would have gone clinically insane by now.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:06 AM

13 posts, read 14,212 times
Quote:
Its not every black man... its black men who completely assimiliate into mainstream culture. To do that would mean to literally have or pretend to have the mainstream state of mind (which pushes the issues that poor blacks and poor people in general face safely to the side unless it can make a good COPS episode). A successful black man that does not give a **** about the struggles his fellow black men face is labeled an Uncle Tom. Successful black men that do care largely don't exist... the mainstream doesn't support them. Instead, it lashes against them and calls them "bigoted" and "anti-american". Some will immediately assume I'm talking about Reverend Wright (when I'm not).
Exactly. He should not even be labeled "The first black president." Then, he wouldn't have that problem

Old 11-12-2010, 02:09 AM

13 posts, read 14,212 times
Quote:
I agree. Sometimes it seems as if white people can't accept the truth from a primary source and are content with fantasy beliefs instead of just shutting up and listening.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:10 AM

For a minority to assimilate into mainstream culture, he or she, would have to be ultra subservient and dependent on the hegemonic social forces i.e., white supremacy. It's sad but true.

Quote:

Old 11-12-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djackson74 View Post
I agree. Sometimes it seems as if white people can't accept the truth from a primary source and are content with fantasy beliefs instead of just shutting up and listening.
Oh the irony!

Goodnight everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies