Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 04:38 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Credence in science in general?

How much of science do you reject?

The parts of it where it isn't accurate, and the parts of it where it hasn't found the answer.

I'm good with chemistry, for example, though.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can't say a day would go by without rain during the summer, regardless of what the weather man says. I'm in North Florida, and everyday we get rain during the summer.

Just a quick passing shower usually, but its still rain.
Rained this morning, hadn't rained for about a week before that (it's fall now, close to winter).

I need to know if I need to wear a jacket, just about to head to work, and it takes me an hour to walk there. I don't want to show up to work wet.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Wrong. Religion/philosophy ponder the rest - neither provides proof of anything, consequently there are no explanations.
It explains it for a lot of people. Some answer is as good as a guess.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:41 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,617 times
Funny, some folks here have a beef with science, not useless and misleading religion. If it wasn't for science they'd still live in mud huts and hunt pigs for a living. The Internet sure has caught on.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,115,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The parts of it where it isn't accurate, and the parts of it where it hasn't found the answer.

I'm good with chemistry, for example, though.
Instead of rejecting it, perhaps you should be part of the effort to study and improve it. The truth is we know next to nothing about anything when it comes to the physical world. We think we've figured out some of the simple rules, but most things are extraordinarily complex. We're just now moving past the low-hanging fruit. My personal belief is that much of the natural world too complex for us to ever have a complete picture.

Thanks for the shout out to chemistry though - as a chemist, I appreciate it.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,345,344 times
Quote:
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Hurricane Charley, 2004.

The weathermen assured all of us watching that Charley was going to make landfall somewhere north of Tampa.

WRONG! Instead, it fooled those scientists and hit the very town I was living in, over 100 miles to the south.

Since science FAILED to predict the landfall accurately, why should I put credence in it?
Yes, and Andrew in '92 was on track to roar through my neighborhood, but instead made landfall 35 miles to the south. The difference between you and me, obviously, is that even in '92, I knew that the track shown could vacillate considerably within the 'cone of probability'.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Funny, some folks here have a beef with science, not useless and misleading religion. If it wasn't for science they'd still live in mud huts and hunt pigs for a living. The Internet sure has caught on.
I said I don't have a beef where they can give accurate information. If you fall from a roof without imparting any personal momentum of your own, you will always fall with the same amount of force, and at the same acceleration of 9.8 meters per second per second.

But if you're just going to guess, one guess is as good as another. Your guess is as good as mine.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,345,344 times
Quote:
Religion might provide answers for those who choose not to question; philosophy only provides possibilities that often lead to more questions.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,840,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

no one today was involved in anything that went on a few centuries ago.
But it still happens today. Army of God is one and there are more.
But that is beside the point even. What if the billboard was sponsered by a Christian church, attempting to refute Islam? Would you also call those billboard posters arrogant creeps? I'm just curious.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
I don't think most people have a problem with religion. I don't mind what anyone else believes or doesn't believe. My problem is that when science contradicts a 10,000 year old fairy tale about a man, woman, and a snake, and then they want to ignore facts and fossil evidence.

Religion may indeed explain things to some people, but most people want science, not faith to guide most of our lives. When people want to teach creationism in school, thats going to far.

Also, when we are in the worst economic downturn since the depression, and people are losing their homes, schools funds are being cut, wars are having to be paid for, and everything is about "budget budget budget" most communities and the nation as a whole spends a butt load of money to promote someone elses religion that I don't believe. You can celebrate Christmas without trees in the town square, and light fixtures everywhere. That, to me, would be the first place I'd cut my budget, decorations. Now if the private individual wants to put them on their house, cool, I'm not stopping you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies