Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wonder if an Atheist had a near death experience or death of a loved one if that would shake them up a bit into believing in a higher power greater than oneself?

Why would it? Please explain...

I always wondered why people can still believe in a god or gods after seeing all the horrible things that happen in this world

Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I am an atheist. One of the perks of being an atheist is that it's generally a lot less trouble than being a traditional believer. There's no church to worry about. I don't have to listen to the Pope. There's never a reason to drop to my knees and bow in some predetermined direction. So I don't know why any atheist would take the time or trouble to put up a billboard. The hassle is in itself defeating one of the great positives of atheism.
I appreciate your honesty. Your words reinforce what I've thought of Atheists all along: People who have ZERO desire to be accountable for their actions while on this Earth. Pascal's Wager......... Is it worth it to not be accountable only to find out you were wrong all along?

Old 11-29-2010, 05:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
This can't be true. I have it on good authority that atheists never push their beliefs on anyone!
At least atheists aren't trying to tell people where they can and can't build houses of worship on their own property. Nor is this billboard saying "believe what I believe or you will burn for eternity". Compared to that, this is downright amicable.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Well, it is often argued that agnostic is a subset of atheists and thus not all atheists argue that got does not exist.
I would say that "agnostic" is completely different from "atheist".

The former does not know, and admits as much, whereas the latter absolutely does not believe.

If I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of something, it does not follow that I either believe or disbelieve it, only that I do not claim to know one way or the other.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I appreciate your honesty. Your words reinforce what I've thought of Atheists all along: People who have ZERO desire to be accountable for their actions while on this Earth. Pascal's Wager......... Is it worth it to not be accountable only to find out you were wrong all along?
NO where in the post you quoted did it say anything like what you say in your post....you made it all up. Here's the post you quoted and there is NO where he says he doesn't want to be accountable for his actions...

"""""Originally Posted by GalileoSmith
I am an atheist. One of the perks of being an atheist is that it's generally a lot less trouble than being a traditional believer. There's no church to worry about. I don't have to listen to the Pope. There's never a reason to drop to my knees and bow in some predetermined direction. So I don't know why any atheist would take the time or trouble to put up a billboard. The hassle is in itself defeating one of the great positives of atheism.""""

Your words reinforce what I've though all along...christian's belief in a god and punishment for wrong doing is the ONLY reason they do the right things....and then they have a really hard time....Do you REALLY believe all the terrible things and criminal acts in the world are the work of atheists???

Old 11-29-2010, 06:09 AM

I don't believe that there will be punishment for wrong doing though. Humans sin, I accept that. No matter whether you believe or not, you're only human.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
At least atheists aren't trying to tell people where they can and can't build houses of worship on their own property. Nor is this billboard saying "believe what I believe or you will burn for eternity". Compared to that, this is downright amicable.
Yeah but see the problem is that you literally WILL burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. You can try to convince yourself that God doesn't exist, but the fact is he does. Your religion Atheism (because we all know Atheism is officially classified as a religion but some of your comrade are simply too dense and uneducated to comprehend that) is nothing but fishing for attention and to get a rise out of other people. I know BS when I see BS and that billboard is BS. I don't see gays (a minority group) putting up billboards saying "Hey! Be gay now and use common sense!". You know you people make no sense. And you wonder why your the most hated and least trusted minority group. At least we as Christians care about your ungrateful and spoiled rotten arses enough to consistently try to get you saved so you won't go that horrible place called hell. But it seems that is what you want. So be it then. I could care less to be honest because you people have no respect for people of different beliefs than you. You climb onto the liberal bandwagon just because you want to spite Christians. You call us homophobic and bigots but it's really your religion that is the lowest class and least self-respecting group of people on Earth. Atheist are full of negative energy and I don't understand how any of you people can stand to be next to each other and converse with each other for more than 5 minutes. I'll kill myself before sitting there listening to an Atheist go off on why they think there is no God when the truth is they are sinning recklessly and will go to hell but don't want to give up their sins.

I'd pay for a big billboard with a picture of hell that says

Matthew 7:13
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 AM

But Hoarfrost, even considering Allen's post above, you don't believe in Hell, so it doesn't hurt you any, does it?

In all seriousness, I think people should just keep their opinions to themselves out in the real world. They can go on and on all they want about their beliefs on Internet fora, because those who aren't looking to discuss it will just leave those areas alone. Unsolicited advice is the surest way to get me angry--and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yeah but see the problem is that you literally WILL burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. You can try to convince yourself that God doesn't exist, but the fact is he does. Your religion Atheism (because we all know Atheism is officially classified as a religion but some of your comrade are simply too dense and uneducated to comprehend that) is nothing but fishing for attention and to get a rise out of other people. I know BS when I see BS and that billboard is BS. I don't see gays (a minority group) putting up billboards saying "Hey! Be gay now and use common sense!". You know you people make no sense. And you wonder why your the most hated and least trusted minority group. At least we as Christians care about your ungrateful and spoiled rotten arses enough to consistently try to get you saved so you won't go that horrible place called hell. But it seems that is what you want. So be it then. I could care less to be honest because you people have no respect for people of different beliefs than you. You climb onto the liberal bandwagon just because you want to spite Christians. You call us homophobic and bigots but it's really your religion that is the lowest class and least self-respecting group of people on Earth. Atheist are full of negative energy and I don't understand how any of you people can stand to be next to each other and converse with each other for more than 5 minutes. I'll kill myself before sitting there listening to an Atheist go off on why they think there is no God when the truth is they are sinning recklessly and will go to hell but don't want to give up their sins.

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Oh, come on!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post

Please show me proof that atheists are the only people who do wrong.

Oh, that's right "proof" has no connection to belief in a god.....and it is SO convenient to overlook all the terrible things christians do.....your belief that all christians are saints is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies