Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:17 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Folks, Atheism is not a belief. Atheism is LACK of belief. Learn your Greek. Incidentally, that's where your air-conditioner and your air travel ultimately came from.

Putting down religions of every tint with billboards or anything else is a welcome sign as far as I am concerned.
Why does it please you to see someone insulted? What if the insult were directed at you?

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Actually, we're stuck with the responsibility - while on this Earth. No confession, no penitence, no sacrifice to strike away the sin - whatever wrongs we do stay on our conscience, to undo if within our capabilities, to live with if not.

The assumption that people need a supernatural father figure to keep them on the straight and narrow with the threat of eternal damnation shows a sad lack of confidence in one's fellow man. (And, of course, looking at the sins actually committed by those who profess their undying love for their preferred Deity, the system isn't exactly flawless, either.)

Pascal's Wager is a really, really bad argument. Among its other flaws, it's based on a 50-50 scenario - lack of faith is condemnation, faith is salvation. But there's thousands of religions which claim to be the sole path to salvation. The supreme being of the universe expects me to take a 1000-to1 bet with eternal torture being the losing outcome? Even if there was a supreme being, I doubt he'd be that - well, evil. And what if God particularly hated those who believed for the sake of salvation only?
If a person is generous and kind to others, because he thinks god is watching, i'm fine with that, more so then I am with someone who thinks he can do whatever he wants, be as mean and cruel and selfish, as long as it's not illegal or if it is, as long as no one catches him.

The problem with religion is that it can be perverted by men, who will convince others that murder and killing of certain people, is God's wish. Humans have progressed far enough along, that only one religion is still being perverted for that purpose.

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If anyone can tell me what atheists believe in that can be displayed on a billboard without dragging in other people's beliefs, I'd like to hear it. And if anyone comes up with something, I'd like to ask why they aren't advertising it. Their whole schtick is "we don't" and "anti" this and that.
For any beliefs, demand proof and evidence. That's social progress.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So you telling atheists they're all wrong is hunky-dory, because it's all about the love. (Certainly not about scoring conversion points with the Big Guy, nuh-uh.) But atheists telling Christians that they're wrong is somehow - uncouth.

If faith is such a strong force, what's a little contradiction?
If you feel that strongly about it, knock yourself out...I have never said you can't spread your nonsense.

But I just have a hard time how you care so much about disproving something you don't believe in. Why don't you guys go nuts and rant about allah not existing? Or the FSM? Or pink unicorns on venus?

Or the tooth fairy and santa claus? I just don't get it.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:19 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Celebrate reason-how antagonizing.
How convenient to actually leave out the antagonizing phrase.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Humans have progressed far enough along, that only one religion is still being perverted for that purpose.
You are, of course, referring to the one religions that believes in one, or multiple, gods, correct?

Old 11-29-2010, 11:21 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Umm...nowhere on the billboard does it say "we don't", "anti", or "Christian"

Celebrate reason-how antagonizing.
Honestly? I haven't really seen a lot of "reason" in the neo-atheist crowd.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:22 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Why does it please you to see someone insulted? What if the insult were directed at you?
Emotions (faith) can be insulted. The intellect is not insulted. If you choose to feel insulted that is your choice.

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
How convenient to actually leave out the antagonizing phrase.
I quoted the entire billboard

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wonder if an Atheist had a near death experience or death of a loved one if that would shake them up a bit into believing in a higher power greater than oneself?
I don't know, why not ask Richard Tillman, commenting
at his brother Pat's funeral:
"He's not with god, he's ****ing dead"
Does that answer your question

I've always wanted to ask ... when you die and go to heaven, do you have to spend time with a relative you hated while you were here on this planet?

Today, about 2.5% of the world's population describes itself as atheist. Between 64% and 65% of Japanese are atheists, agnostics, or do not believe in God. Up to 85% in Sweden are nonreligious (where 17% identify themselves as atheists), 80% in Denmark, 72% in Norway, and 60% in Finland. Many, now atheists, are former Catholics
and Mormons (go figure)

An atheist will tell you, the higher power that is greater than oneself is earth and the universe.

The celebration of Winter Solstice - the reason for the season occurs exactly when the Earth's axial tilt is farthest away from the sun at its maximum of 22 1/2° 26'. The seasonal importance of the winter solstice is in the reversal of the gradual lengthening of nights and shortening of days. This is of great significance if you
are a farmer or if you are addicted to sun bathing

Winter Solstice celebrates winter and the beauty it brings. It has everything Christmas has, without any of the guilt

Last edited by pollyrobin; 11-29-2010 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies