Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 01:40 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'll kill myself before sitting there listening to an Atheist go off on why they think there is no God
And yet, here you are, apparently still very much alive and still "listening" to us tell you that there isn't a god, of your flavor or anyone else's flavor.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yeah but see the problem is that you literally WILL burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. You can try to convince yourself that God doesn't exist, but the fact is he does. Your religion Atheism (because we all know Atheism is officially classified as a religion but some of your comrade are simply too dense and uneducated to comprehend that) is nothing but fishing for attention and to get a rise out of other people. I know BS when I see BS and that billboard is BS. I don't see gays (a minority group) putting up billboards saying "Hey! Be gay now and use common sense!". You know you people make no sense. And you wonder why your the most hated and least trusted minority group. At least we as Christians care about your ungrateful and spoiled rotten arses enough to consistently try to get you saved so you won't go that horrible place called hell. But it seems that is what you want. So be it then. I could care less to be honest because you people have no respect for people of different beliefs than you. You climb onto the liberal bandwagon just because you want to spite Christians. You call us homophobic and bigots but it's really your religion that is the lowest class and least self-respecting group of people on Earth. Atheist are full of negative energy and I don't understand how any of you people can stand to be next to each other and converse with each other for more than 5 minutes. I'll kill myself before sitting there listening to an Atheist go off on why they think there is no God when the truth is they are sinning recklessly and will go to hell but don't want to give up their sins.

I'd pay for a big billboard with a picture of hell that says

Matthew 7:13
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Wow!. It really does take audacity to sit here talking of what you see as other's sins, then follow it with a threat to commit the ultimate sin of suicide. Or do you not see suicide as sin? If you truly believe your life came from God, how can you think it not a sin for anyone other than God to take that life from you - including yourself?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport

Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
Mo more arrogant than the various religious groups who insist that their beliefs trump all others.

If you want arrogant, I give you a missionary - of any faith.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:11 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I have never in my life seen so many insecure thin skinned Christians gathered in one place, all over a non offensive (in comparison some of the ones some Christians parade about with) sign that expresses a different point of view than theirs.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM

914 posts, read 4,443,783 times
Eh. I really don't see how any of this actually matters. If someone changes their mind about religion based on something they saw on a billboard, then clearly their faith (or lack thereof) wasn't there to begin with. Just like I doubt anyone truly changed their mind about having an abortion based on the 5 billion "Abortion is murder!" billboards I see when I drive through the South. It's all just a giant waste of money that has someone fooled into thinking they can sleep soundly at night because they've "done something".

I will say, though, if the fact that freedom of speech applies to people other than you is somehow bothersome, then perhaps America isn't for you. There's nothing in the constitution that protects anyone from being offended by something. In fact, that's kind of the point.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:13 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport

Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
I'm not religious, nor am I much of a joiner - this newfangled organized atheism still seems odd to me. But, the billboard and message get a wink and a nod from me IMO it's tongue in cheek humor - not arrogant.

Yes, there's truth to it - but it doesn't seem bent on destroying anything or really converting anyone - it seems more geared toward encouraging people to come out of the closet on some of this stuff instead of silently consenting.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:14 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I imagine that what you described sounds a lot like small talk
no, small talk is making conversation over trivial things like the weather or some sports game.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
no, small talk is making conversation over trivial things like the weather or some sports game.
You currently have:
6000+ posts in the relationships forum
2500+ posts in the music forum
1200+ posts in the food and drink forum

also
nearly 5000 in the politics and controversies forum
and 1700 in the great debates forum

I know that you think 'the internet' and 'real life' are substantially different, but I would guess that motivation for your posting is similar to other people's motivation for making small talk.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
And how many topics have I initiated, out of those thousands?

I was responding to someone else's question, as I pointed out. Replies were being solicited. The vast majority of original posts are QUESTIONS, not statements pushing that person's beliefs on everyone else.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Are people who practice pre-marital sex "True Christians", or is there a legit different understanding of that part of the Scripture?
I would question how a person can claim to follow Christ but live in a lifestyle of sin...so if you're routinely doing anything that goes against God's commandments, I'd wonder if perhaps you're deceiving yourself.
Quote:
What about this? Is the " Love your Neighbor as yourself " quote a basic essential practice to Christianity.
That's part of a basic statement regarding loving God, and your neighbor. If you love God you'll keep his commands. If you love God, you'll also love your neighbor. So, that goes along with any other command--if you're a Christian you'll act like one. You're not saved by acting like one, but it's a byproduct of being one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
After you pulled it. Pot meet Kettle indeed. This is what I talked about a few pages back. You do something and it's a-okay, someone who believes differently than you does it and it's proof of everything you already believed about them. That's the only thing this thread is about. Anything which endorses a monotheistic religion like Christianity(aside from universalism) categorically denounces all other belief systems as false. Do you have a problem with that, or is it okay to go after beliefs that you don't adhere to?
My apologies...perhaps I did come across a bit strong there. I'll take that into consideration in the future. Thank you for bringing that up to me.
Quote:
In that sense, this billboard is no different from one which endorses the truth of the Judeo-Christian religion, which categorically rejects the truth of all other religions. This billboard just goes one god further than you do.
Honestly...if I was non-religious, or "lacked belief", I guess I would just be more apathetic to religion. Instead, these folks seem to be showing an active hatred for religion. I just don't get it.

[quote=filihok;16819176]Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

% of US Adults identifying as Christian = 76
% of US Adults identifying as Muslim = .6

Pretty obvious why it would appear that atheists focus on Christians.[/QUOUTE]

OK? Let's see them go try that outside of a mosque in Dearborn, MI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies