Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 11:44 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
How is this a "revenue generator" for anyone other than the company that owns the billboard and rented it to this group? How does this group make any money off this billboard?
Membership in American Atheists : American Atheists Store

Old 11-29-2010, 11:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If I were an athiest, I would simply skip the whole holiday instead. They could go on to work, save money and not be bothered by the whole Christian holiday at all. Same for Easter.

Since I am not an athiest, I'm going to enjoy my holiday with or without any billboards. Even though it makes me wonder why someone who doesn't believe in God would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone He doesn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I have a firend who's an atheists...her house is decorated completely and lavishly during the HOLIDAY season with all kinds of Christmasy stuff.

YOU don't get to dictate what ANYONE should or shouldn't do during this HOLIDAY season.

I wonder why someone who believes in god would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone it exists...and spew such hatred for others while doing it....
Excuse me, but where did GloryB try to 'dictate' anything to anyone? All I saw in her post, which I have copied above, was her saying what SHE would do, followed by an expression of what SHE finds confusing.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,570 times
I always have to be the guy with the accurate, logical thinking. Well, it's a burden I'm stuck with I guess...

First off, just as I was in post #10, I am an atheist. Okay, the original billboard posted was in fact anti Christianity. It had the wise men and the manger scene and called it "a myth". So at least in that one aspect, the billboard wasn't about atheism per se, but about anti-Christianity. What the billboard should have had was one of those thought provoking photos of a far-off galaxy in deep space, and the words, This season can be about your atheistic beliefs. Truth is, if my fellow atheists (we don't really have a big fellowship) feel it necessary to erect a billboard to atheism, I kind of like that concept.

I do think that an anti-Christianity billboard should not be seen as either more, or less, disrespectful and offensive than some of those anti-atheist billboards that have appeared in this thread. To suggest that atheism is immoral is in fact both offensive, and incorrect.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You cannot go talking sense on C-D. You will offend the foaming at the mouth brigade
LMAO! Thanks for that. Of course, I already know that some people here on C-D don't think I have any sense, anyway! lol

Old 11-29-2010, 12:11 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
The thread reminds me of a baptism scene in last nite's episode of Boardwalk Empire.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I see posters praising political candidates, sports teams, pizza parlors, wedding announcements, births, Realtor companies, banks, and yes even churches. Is there something wrong with being proud of your favorite team, organization or business, and encouraging other people to join, participate or support those things?
Only when it's done in a way that obviously insults someone who doesn't share one's love for those things. Especially if the insult is not only obvious, but looks to be intentional. For instance I can expound quite eloquently about why I love to read and reread certain books, but I understand that my reading choices are mine alone and see no reason to insult those who may not share my love for such books. (Though I have been insulted by others for my reading choices.)

Old 11-29-2010, 12:25 PM

10 posts, read 10,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Only when it's done in a way that obviously insults someone who doesn't share one's love for those things. Especially if the insult is not only obvious, but looks to be intentional. For instance I can expound quite eloquently about why I love to read and reread certain books, but I understand that my reading choices are mine alone and see no reason to insult those who may not share my love for such books. (Though I have been insulted by others for my reading choices.)
Someone doesnt like Steven King?!?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:41 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Yes because reason is overflowing in Christianity. I am going to surmise from your username that you are a Calvinist. Now there's a "reason" oriented ideology.
Thanks for proving my point...just like Dawkins, Hitchens and all the other "smart guys"...instead of actually attacking the argument, you take shots at the commentator.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:45 PM

33,558 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The people who paid for the billboard were looking to target Christians to cause pain and grief, they were not simply expressing their views. They even chose to wait for the time of year with the most religious significance to Christians, before putting up their billboard.

Besides a negative political campaign ad, when have we seen other examples of a billboard like this? Have we seen billboards that are created with the express purpose of targeting a specific group of Americans and personally criticizing, demeaning or disparaging them? I can't think of one.
You haven't been paying attention... //www.city-data.com/forum/16813765-post67.html

Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 10,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't know why that statement bothers me, but it does

I think the whole sin/forgive thing, is just someone who is an ******* who is looking for an excuse to make it okay for himself. Quite Sociopathic to me
Eh, this is somewhat an inaccurate conclusion. Sin in itself, or moral laws are intended to be upheld. Forgiveness of thus rule breaking is to akin to letting 'god' carry the worries. Kind of something like 'thou actions deturmines your own fate'/'why burden myself with thy troubles'.

However there ARE those that expect the same forgiveness for their own sins.In this case, you are correct.

Btw I'm not religious. So I could be totally incorrect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies