Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:43 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Then why do you have a problem with it?

Why the HATEFILLED "Arrogant little creeps" comment???? Oh, sweet and loving christian....
I agree that the billboard is a sign of the arrogance of this particular group. But, when it comes to our beliefs, are we not all just a little arrogant in that we believe our beliefs would be best for everyone? That's what I see in this billboard - a belief by this group that the country/world would be 'better off' of everyone one shared their belief that there is no god. Just as the signs all over the highways encouraging everyone to come to this church or that church are a sign of the arrogance of those who believe one church has all the answers for everyone.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
What is relevant is that the midwinter holiday is thousands of years older than Christmas and has always celebrated the same thing: the return of longer days in the northern hemisphere. The fact that a thousand or so years ago a pope decided it would be nice to celebrate Jesus' birthday at the same time is quaint and charming.
Yes OG, we have already been blessed, multiple times, with the "real story". The atheists (along with the Pagans and the Druids on the board) have made sure of that.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
New Atheist Billboard Up in New Jersey - CNN iReport

Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
When they don't believe in anything it's hard to put up a sign, a display, of nothing. They've got nothing positive. They aren't promoting anything positive. Their "religion" is based on nothing, just being the anti-religious people.

They are obviously an intolerant bunch.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
If religious people are offended by the billboard then that would suggest to me that they are not very secure in their faith.
It's not just adults who see the billboard, children see it also. It's not all that much different then putting up a billboard saying women are interior, fat people are lazy, or a specific race are stupid. It's not where we should be as a society, calling out a specific group and disparaging them.

I can understand positive image signs and slogans, like a group that wants to put up a billboard to champion their beliefs or cause as in "Support your Local Red Cross', or a patriotic billboard, or one encouraging your favorite sports team like "Go Packers!", or even ones that advertise the virtues of their organization.

This billboard is designed to bully people, you can just ask the people being targeted by this attack to just suck it up, and what else can they do, we are a land of free speech, but this is still a crass and derisive thing to do.

This billboard is NOT one designed to promote or exemplify the atheist views, or to encourage membership...as if. Nope, this billboard is designed to disparage, demean and ridicule, which tells you all you need to know about the people who put it up.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I agree that the billboard is a sign of the arrogance of this particular group. But, when it comes to our beliefs, are we not all just a little arrogant in that we believe our beliefs would be best for everyone? That's what I see in this billboard - a belief by this group that the country/world would be 'better off' of everyone one shared their belief that there is no god. Just as the signs all over the highways encouraging everyone to come to this church or that church are a sign of the arrogance of those who believe one church has all the answers for everyone.
You cannot go talking sense on C-D. You will offend the foaming at the mouth brigade

Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yes OG, we have already been blessed, multiple times, with the "real story". The atheists (along with the Pagans and the Druids on the board) have made sure of that.
And we nonChristians welcome you believers to our holiday. Please behave yourselves.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM

25 posts, read 22,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When they don't believe in anything it's hard to put up a sign, a display, of nothing. They've got nothing positive. They aren't promoting anything positive. Their "religion" is based on nothing, just being the anti-religious people.

They are obviously an intolerant bunch.
I think athiest are just putting it out there that they don't believe in anything because there is no logical proof to believe in a God. They are putting it out there that this time of year is not just about Christians.

I ask for Christians to please read about the history of the winter solstice and it's early holiday celebrations and how they the Christains took most of these celebrations and made them for their own holiday about Jesus after Jesus was around. End of the year holidays were nothing new even before Jesus. The ealiest civilizations use to celebrate it cause the sun would finally be at it's lowest point and the days would start getting longer again. They would celebrate the end of the year and bringing on the new one.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But Hoarfrost, even considering Allen's post above, you don't believe in Hell, so it doesn't hurt you any, does it?

In all seriousness, I think people should just keep their opinions to themselves out in the real world. They can go on and on all they want about their beliefs on Internet fora, because those who aren't looking to discuss it will just leave those areas alone. Unsolicited advice is the surest way to get me angry--and you wouldn't like me when I'm angry.
True, but that puts all of this in context. I don't care to try to persuade anyone that what I think is correct, no matter how assure of myself I am. The only thing that provokes my response is this idea that an affirmation of a certain religion which denounces all others as incorrect and doomed is acceptable but an affirmation of lack of religion is an insult and proof of the bad manners of the irreligious.

It's hypocrisy that the religious get away with worldwide persecution of homosexuals and preaching a message of "believe what I believe or burn" and it's okay because it's a part of a belief system yet the act of saying "I disagree, you are wrong" is tantamount to an insult in and of itself. That's like punching a person and calling them violent when they slap your wrist in response.

Just look at this lovely post(emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yeah but see the problem is that you literally WILL burn in hell for eternity if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior. You can try to convince yourself that God doesn't exist, but the fact is he does. Your religion Atheism (because we all know Atheism is officially classified as a religion but some of your comrade are simply too dense and uneducated to comprehend that) is nothing but fishing for attention and to get a rise out of other people. I know BS when I see BS and that billboard is BS. I don't see gays (a minority group) putting up billboards saying "Hey! Be gay now and use common sense!". You know you people make no sense. And you wonder why your the most hated and least trusted minority group. At least we as Christians care about your ungrateful and spoiled rotten arses enough to consistently try to get you saved so you won't go that horrible place called hell. But it seems that is what you want. So be it then. I could care less to be honest because you people have no respect for people of different beliefs than you. You climb onto the liberal bandwagon just because you want to spite Christians. You call us homophobic and bigots but it's really your religion that is the lowest class and least self-respecting group of people on Earth. Atheist are full of negative energy and I don't understand how any of you people can stand to be next to each other and converse with each other for more than 5 minutes. I'll kill myself before sitting there listening to an Atheist go off on why they think there is no God when the truth is they are sinning recklessly and will go to hell but don't want to give up their sins.

I'd pay for a big billboard with a picture of hell that says

Matthew 7:13
Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Quite honestly the rudest thing anyone has ever said to me on this forum. Far ruder than anything on that billboard and far beyond "I'm right and your wrong". This guy is frothing at the mouth with vitriol, but its okay because his book says so?

To qualify my statements, it's not all religious that are like this. For some reason, Buddhists don't seem to subscribe to such either or absolutism and even Jews who believe that they were specially chosen to be saved manage to keep that to themselves. Perhaps not all religions are created equally as far as tolerance goes?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:07 AM

25 posts, read 22,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's not just adults who see the billboard, children see it also. It's not all that much different then putting up a billboard saying women are interior, fat people are lazy, or a specific race are stupid. It's not where we should be as a society, calling out a specific group and disparaging them.

I can understand positive image signs and slogans, like a group that wants to put up a billboard to champion their beliefs or cause as in "Support your Local Red Cross', or a patriotic billboard, or one encouraging your favorite sports team like "Go Packers!", or even ones that advertise the virtues of their organization.

This billboard is designed to bully people, you can just ask the people being targeted by this attack to just suck it up, and what else can they do, we are a land of free speech, but this is still a crass and derisive thing to do.

This billboard is NOT one designed to promote or exemplify the atheist views, or to encourage membership...as if. Nope, this billboard is designed to disparage, demean and ridicule, which tells you all you need to know about the people who put it up.
Take your argument and put it up to the millions upon millions of Christian signs up there ridiculing and insultign people who dont belong to their religion.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:08 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I see posters praising political candidates, sports teams, pizza parlors, wedding announcements, births, Realtor companies, banks, and yes even churches. Is there something wrong with being proud of your favorite team, organization or business, and encouraging other people to join, participate or support those things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies