Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If I were an athiest, I would simply skip the whole holiday instead. They could go on to work, save money and not be bothered by the whole Christian holiday at all. Same for Easter.

Since I am not an athiest, I'm going to enjoy my holiday with or without any billboards. Even though it makes me wonder why someone who doesn't believe in God would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone He doesn't exist.
I have a firend who's an atheists...her house is decorated completely and lavishly during the HOLIDAY season with all kinds of Christmasy stuff.

YOU don't get to dictate what ANYONE should or shouldn't do during this HOLIDAY season.

I wonder why someone who believes in god would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone it exists...and spew such hatred for others while doing it....

Old 11-29-2010, 09:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Many churches have signs on their lawns with various messages that change periodically. Many advertise the 'choice' of heaven or hell. All without any reasonable or logical explanation.
What an atheist message (such as a billboard) provokes is christian intolerance. Such as 'how dare anyone disagree with us!!!"

Old 11-29-2010, 09:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I have a firend who's an atheists...her house is decorated completely and lavishly during the HOLIDAY season with all kinds of Christmasy stuff.

YOU don't get to dictate what ANYONE should or shouldn't do during this HOLIDAY season.
Get a grip Who?Me? She clearly prefaced her comment with: "If I were an atheist". She is not telling anyone what to do.

Quote:
I wonder why someone who believes in god would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone it exists...and spew such hatred for others while doing it....
Show us the "atheists are fools" thread and we'll go from there.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
I am a believer in God. With that said, to each their own with what they believe, because after all it is freedom of speech. All that I ask is to not be mocked or persecuted for what I believe or not believe. I can understand why people get upset with religion, when you consider the many different religions in the world, as well as the many different versions of Christianity alone! Not to mention the extremists in ALL religions! I myself get annoyed when they try to scare you with phrases like "repent, or burn in Hell!" IMO religion and God should be enlightening, and not be used as a scare tactic! That is the way I look at it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:28 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Lightbulb Reason for the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Whether or not Dec. 25 is Christ's birthday is completely irrelevant.
What is relevant is that the midwinter holiday is thousands of years older than Christmas and has always celebrated the same thing: the return of longer days in the northern hemisphere. The fact that a thousand or so years ago a pope decided it would be nice to celebrate Jesus' birthday at the same time is quaint and charming.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:29 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
But if it was a pro Christmas or religion one, you'd be jumping for joy.

This season celebrate REASON. not mental diseases.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
No it does not.

Religious people have this thing called "faith". It doesn't matter to the Jews that there isn't proof of some book God writes in once a year (pertaining to them) or not, they choose to believe it and have faith.

Some atheist group or billboard isn't going to change anyone's mind, unless they want it changed.
I agree. And what some people simply refuse to see is that it also works in the opposite direction. You are not going to change the atheist into a religious person by bombarding them with scripture or stories of miracles. I know this because I'm a Christian and my son is an atheist; even living with this person of faith 24 hours a day has not changed his mind about religion. Difference between him and the group that put up this sign is that my religious faith doesn't bother him and he has no 'need' to try to destroy it.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,686,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Arrogant little creeps, this group is, aren't they?
Oh, waah boo hoo, cry me a river.

Drive along I-70 in the midwest and you'll see arrogance and creepiness, but it won't be a factual billboard like the one you post. No, it will be billboards telling everyone that if they don't believe in the christian god that they're going to burn in hell forever, or billboards of aborted fetuses, and other hate speech by 'loving christians'.

Fact is, the billboard you post is telling the logical, realistic truth about the xmas holiday. Don't like it? Suck it up, buttercup. If christians can put up billboards about what they like, so can atheists.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If I were an athiest, I would simply skip the whole holiday instead. They could go on to work, save money and not be bothered by the whole Christian holiday at all. Same for Easter.
As an atheist, I enjoy the midwinter holiday above all others. The fact that Christians have claimed it for their own doesn't bother me. They can fill their churches and sing their carols and it all adds to the festivity.

Quote:
Since I am not an athiest, I'm going to enjoy my holiday with or without any billboards. Even though it makes me wonder why someone who doesn't believe in God would spend so much time and effort trying to convince everyone He doesn't exist.
I doubt that atheists convince any believers that their favorite god isn't real. And that isn't even the purpose behind those billboards. I see it more as an answer to this.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:37 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Hell, perhaps Mormon's are right who knows?
FYI, if the Mormons are right, pretty much everyone is going to go to Heaven -- even the people who despise them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies