Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 12:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Thanks for proving my point...just like Dawkins, Hitchens and all the other "smart guys"...instead of actually attacking the argument, you take shots at the commentator.
You're criticising him for saying essentially the same thing that you said two pages ago!

Quote:
Honestly? I haven't really seen a lot of "reason" in the neo-atheist crowd.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:54 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,178 times
I woud like to think a muslim or christain is someone that follows the teachings of the quran or bible respectively.

Now, what about those that choose to obey only certain sections of the bible/quran, which is probably about 99% of the religious population. Are they true muslims/christians ?

Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You're criticising him for saying essentially the same thing that you said two pages ago!
He proved my point. instead of arguing it, he pulls the "I know you are, but what am I?" argument.

Honestly...give me some real logic. I haven't seen any of it coming out of the neo-atheists. They rant and rail against religion, but they don't have the guts to tackle islam, nor do they go after other things they "lack faith in".

I haven't seen anything but an anti-Christian agenda. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
I woud like to think a muslim or christain is someone that follows the teachings of the quran or bible respectively.

Now, what about those that choose to obey only certain sections of the bible/quran, which is probably about 99% of the religious population. Are they true muslims/christians ?

It would depend on what part they don't believe in. There are some basic essentials of Christianity. Having a different understanding of part of Scripture doesn't mean you're not a Christian--unless it's an essential doctrine, such as the deity of Christ, or salvation by faith alone in Christ.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I always have to be the guy with the accurate, logical thinking. Well, it's a burden I'm stuck with I guess...

First off, just as I was in post #10, I am an atheist. Okay, the original billboard posted was in fact anti Christianity. It had the wise men and the manger scene and called it "a myth". So at least in that one aspect, the billboard wasn't about atheism per se, but about anti-Christianity. What the billboard should have had was one of those thought provoking photos of a far-off galaxy in deep space, and the words, This season can be about your atheistic beliefs. Truth is, if my fellow atheists (we don't really have a big fellowship) feel it necessary to erect a billboard to atheism, I kind of like that concept.

I do think that an anti-Christianity billboard should not be seen as either more, or less, disrespectful and offensive than some of those anti-atheist billboards that have appeared in this thread. To suggest that atheism is immoral is in fact both offensive, and incorrect.
And this Christian can definitely agree with that! Morality is about one's behavior and actions. It has nothing whatsoever to do with religious faith or lack thereof.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:00 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
They rant and rail against religion, but they don't have the guts to tackle islam, nor do they go after other things they "lack faith in".

Demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

% of US Adults identifying as Christian = 76
% of US Adults identifying as Muslim = .6

Pretty obvious why it would appear that atheists focus on Christians.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
He proved my point. instead of arguing it, he pulls the "I know you are, but what am I?" argument.

Honestly...give me some real logic. I haven't seen any of it coming out of the neo-atheists. They rant and rail against religion, but they don't have the guts to tackle islam, nor do they go after other things they "lack faith in".

After you pulled it. Pot meet Kettle indeed. This is what I talked about a few pages back. You do something and it's a-okay, someone who believes differently than you does it and it's proof of everything you already believed about them. That's the only thing this thread is about. Anything which endorses a monotheistic religion like Christianity(aside from universalism) categorically denounces all other belief systems as false. Do you have a problem with that, or is it okay to go after beliefs that you don't adhere to?

In that sense, this billboard is no different from one which endorses the truth of the Judeo-Christian religion, which categorically rejects the truth of all other religions. This billboard just goes one god further than you do.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
As I told you, Hoarfrost, I don't support either side's billboards.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:06 PM

I know. And I'd just like to be on the record saying I think billboards are an aesthetic blight in general. Really, who's ever seen a billboard that they thought was attractive or convinced them of something?

Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,988,178 times
Quote:

It would depend on what part they don't believe in. There are some basic essentials of Christianity. Having a different understanding of part of Scripture doesn't mean you're not a Christian--unless it's an essential doctrine, such as the deity of Christ, or salvation by faith alone in Christ.
Are people who practice pre-marital sex "True Christians", or is there a legit different understanding of that part of the Scripture?

What about this? Is the " Love your Neighbor as yourself " quote a basic essential practice to Christianity.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:29 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging-Hetero View Post
Are people who practice pre-marital sex "True Christians", or is there a legit different understanding of that part of the Scripture?

What about this? Is the " Love your Neighbor as yourself " quote a basic essential practice to Christianity.

Honestly, I try to live that way everyday. It really doesn't take a whole lot of effort to be kind to your neighbors as well as others around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies