Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I had to go to work, that's the cause of my not being here the rest of the night, but having to go to work wasn't an effect: the effect was not being here the rest of the night. Not being here the rest of the night didn't cause anything, it was an effect.
You are desperately and completely confused:

1. The cause of you not being here was because you had to go to work.

2. Your having to go to work is the effect of having a job.

Having to go to work is therefore both a cause and an effect at the same time.

So... we are still waiting. Can you show us a single example of a cause that is not also an effect.

(Hint: You are actually arguing against the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God by proposing that there can be uncaused causes other than God, but I'll let you wrestle with Calvinist on the issue if he ever comes back).

Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
When then?
Whenever. As far as I know, nobody is working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
And hurry up, none of us are getting any younger.
Then perhaps you should have gotten a science degree and gone to work on the problem.

Quote:
All you have to do is reproduce what already happens without scientific intervention.
Actually, you are confusing technology with science there, but that's okay. It is not the deepest confusion that you present in this thread.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
It was the scientist that was wrong, the one who is supposed to have all the answers.
Aahhhh. There's a big part of your problem right there. You are confusing scientists with priests.

Scientists do not even pretend to "have all the answers." They do, however, make an effort to find out the right ones.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Does a 30% chance imply to you that it will, or that it won't?
It states that there is a 30% chance that it will rain, and a 70% chance that it will not. I will not take my umbrella today.

Quote:
What it does is hedges their bets, so that they are ALWAYS right. They will never say, it WILL rain today. They will say that there's a chance.
You are mistaken. They often will say there is a 0% or a 100% chance of rain. The simple fact is that the universe actually is probabilistic. So rather than "hedging their bets" scientists are being honest in a way dogmatic religionists like yourself appear to not understand.

Quote:
Well, there's a chance I might get hit by a car on my way to work too, so if it ever winds up happening, you'll know that I predicted the occurrence beforehand.
So... check in at the end of today day and tell us: Was your prediction right or wrong today?

Quote:
Meanwhile, every day that it doesn't happen, you'll have to remember that I only said that there was a chance, not that it was definite.
Yes. You will be wrong every day until the day it actually happens. Therefore, if it does not happen by the end of December, you will be 100% wrong for December. In fact, you will be 100% wrong for 2010.

If however you are struck by a car on December 31st, you will have been right about 3% of the time.

As we have seen, meteorologists are far, far, far better at you than predicting the rain. Science keeps people a whole lot dryer than you do.

Along with so many other subjects, your complete ignorance of probability and statistics is in bold display. Life must be very confusing to you.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:15 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
As an atheist, I like to see holiday billboards that aren't pushing a religious viewpoint.

You go, atheists.org!
Maybe make combinations, like Jesus recommending a certain razor brand for shaving legs.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,817,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
As an atheist, I like to see holiday billboards that aren't pushing a religious viewpoint.

You go, atheists.org!
Atheism IS a religion. It takes just as much, if not more, FAITH to say there is no God as it does to say there is a God.

At least agnostics are honest and say "I don't know," but Atheism is as much of a religion as any. Time for atheists to get off their intellectual high horse.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Aahhhh. There's a big part of your problem right there. You are confusing scientists with priests.

Scientists do not even pretend to "have all the answers." They do, however, make an effort to find out the right ones.
Don't they?

When was the last time you heard a scientist speculate that evolution might NOT be correct?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,298,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Atheism IS a religion. It takes just as much, if not more, FAITH to say there is no God as it does to say there is a God.
I was recently in København at the (relatively) new Opera house. My group was approached by a church group. We chatted for a bit (Freudianly, I accidentally typed 'bait' instead of 'bit) before they launched into their god-talk.

I said that I was an atheist and one of the members countered with this statement that 'it takes more faith to be a atheist'. He used the example of crossing a street when the light turns red. He claimed that I had faith that the cars would stop at the red light.

I said that I used observation. I have observed that cars usually stop when the light turns red. I can also observe each individual car as it approaches the light to determine if that specific car is going to stop.

I then said that he was more than welcome to walk out into the street using only the faith in his god.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I was recently in København at the (relatively) new Opera house. My group was approached by a church group. We chatted for a bit (Freudianly, I accidentally typed 'bait' instead of 'bit) before they launched into their god-talk.

I said that I was an atheist and one of the members countered with this statement that 'it takes more faith to be a atheist'. He used the example of crossing a street when the light turns red. He claimed that I had faith that the cars would stop at the red light.

I said that I used observation. I have observed that cars usually stop when the light turns red. I can also observe each individual car as it approaches the light to determine if that specific car is going to stop.

I then said that he was more than welcome to walk out into the street using only the faith in his god.
I used to work with a blind man. He would wait until he heard the sound of the signal beeping and just step off the curb. He had faith that the cars would stop. He had no way of knowing if the cars would stop--or whether or not there even were cars. Perhaps that would have been a better illustration.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,181,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I used to work with a blind man. He would wait until he heard the sound of the signal beeping and just step off the curb. He had faith that the cars would stop. He had no way of knowing if the cars would stop--or whether or not there even were cars. Perhaps that would have been a better illustration.
What if a driver's attention is focused on the atheist billboard, doesn't see the red light and drives though it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies