Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 12:48 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
hey I didnt send no jobs overseas.I just spent the last of my savings starting an American made furniture company. The demand is there,people dont really want pressboard crap from china. at least I am trying not crying
People with taste and deeper pockets might not, but unfortunately the vast majority of Americans are addicted to cheap crap, which of course means China to the rescue. Hat's off to your effort at any rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:04 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
People with taste and deeper pockets might not, but unfortunately the vast majority of Americans are addicted to cheap crap, which of course means China to the rescue. Hat's off to your effort at any rate.
I was quite suprised at the number of people angry about only being offered cheap crap. one client whom I repaired a piece of furniture for that was damaged in shipping sugested it. I was doing some high end trim in their home and was asked to do the repair.well the referrals went pretty well and I found a good nitch. People really dont want cheap crap but that is all they can find mostly due to being lazy and going to the big box stores. I plan to change that in my little world

Old 12-13-2010, 01:17 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I say that if he's been on his rear end for 2.5 years, he could have gone out and gotten an Associate's Degree in an in-demand field by now.
Riiiiight. And how would you say he should pay for that education? Or did you not know that education costs money? Money that, because he has no job, he also doesn't have.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:27 AM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Riiiiight. And how would you say he should pay for that education? Or did you not know that education costs money? Money that, because he has no job, he also doesn't have.
to bad that ding dong cant trade back that two and a half wasted years.what goes around comes around. amazing how people who cant collect find work and those the can collect cant. just amazing

Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Community college:

71 dollars per credit hour
12 credit hours per term
4 terms per year

(71x12)x4=$3,408 tuition
Let's say 1000 for books
Total: $4408

Federal Pell Grants per year: $5800
Stafford Subsidized Loans year 1: $3500
Stafford Unsubsidized Loans year 1: $6000
Total: $15,300

Net profit: $10,208 year one. In year 2, the subsidized portion goes up $1000. This person is already getting paid to go to school at this point, without me even digging up the millions of scholarships and grants etc. that are easily attainable (Opportunity Grants, Ford Foundation Scholarships, Fannie Mae scholarships, Smart Grants, etc.)

People who say they can't afford to go to school or that it's too expensive when they are sitting around on their asses unemployed are full of crap. It's an excuse made by losers who are just too lazy to do something for themselves, and would rather sit around waiting for someone to come along and hand them something.

And don't even come back at me with the obvious retort I know is just percolating in that mind of yours: "Why should he have to take on loans? He'll go into debt!". For one, those loan rates are awesome deals. For another, if a person considers it acceptable to live on the dole for 2+ years and collect money for doing nothing that doesn't have to be repaid, but considers it an affront to receive money that they will eventually have to pay back in exchange for bettering their lives, my original statement stands: They're welfare queens/welches, and deserve whatever horrible fate they get.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
hey I didnt send no jobs overseas.I just spent the last of my savings starting an American made furniture company. The demand is there,people dont really want pressboard crap from china. at least I am trying not crying
I never said YOU did. The argument(s) and disrespectful comments to American workers are weak, lame and uncalled for. Many people have no choice but to buy China made crap. It's cheaper. Who the hell can afford to buy new furniture anyway? In the last three years all of the furniture we have has been handed down.

There's no crying here. All my trying has finally begun to 'pay off '. As I have been working a seasonal (Nov.5 - Dec.24) full time (+ plenty of OT - 54 hours a week) job to reacquire my aggravated suspended license due to an unpaid seatbelt ticket. Which will land me a job driving a public transit bus here. Not the career I landed in 1994, but it's the only 'real' opportunity in this city.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
And don't even come back at me with the obvious retort I know is just percolating in that mind of yours: "Why should he have to take on loans? He'll go into debt!". For one, those loan rates are awesome deals. For another, if a person considers it acceptable to live on the dole for 2+ years and collect money for doing nothing that doesn't have to be repaid, but considers it an affront to receive money that they will eventually have to pay back in exchange for bettering their lives, my original statement stands: They're welfare queens/welches, and deserve whatever horrible fate they get.
What if the person is stupid? I mean, like some people are book smart? In this case the person is known as "mouth breather" who "couldn't learn his way out of a paper sack."

It's not an obvious retort. WAit, yeah, it kind of is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Ysv9B5ic0

"This guy is a fraud. He's OSAMA."

@47 seconds. Yeah. These people need to better their life. I bet they line up for it....the WISDOM and EDUCATION. The thing is, people expect other people to be like them, otherwise known as "Smart." What people don't expect is that the guy might be on crack, or in love, or just stupid. HE might even be bat-S*** insane. Who knows?

Do you think Obama is actually Osama? This lady does... ON T.V., even.
That's right. The stupid is live and in full color.

She's probably a 99 weeker.

vs.

You tell 'em lady. Twins seprated at birth.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:56 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Call a spade a spade: Some people simply hate the poor and unemployed.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:06 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
I was quite surprised at the number of people angry about only being offered cheap crap. one client whom I repaired a piece of furniture for that was damaged in shipping suggested it. I was doing some high end trim in their home and was asked to do the repair.well the referrals went pretty well and I found a good niche. People really don't want cheap crap but that is all they can find mostly due to being lazy and going to the big box stores. I plan to change that in my little world

My father was a cabinet maker when I was young. It's a lost trade I would love to see make a comeback. The beauty of natural products and quality of domestic craftsmanship that was demanded in decades past is missing from American life today.

I wish you well in your endeavor.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
With large-volume furniture I see no reason why that would have to come from China. I mean, Ikea-style stuff is made in almost completely automated factories that can be set up almost anywhere, ideally close to where the wood is coming from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies