Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times

Advertisements

If you're a "99'er", you are NOT an "unemployed person". You are, at that point, officially a welfare queen. This needs to stop being sugar coated or phrased in such a way that it makes these people feel better about asking for their handouts. If they're going to essentially live on welfare, they should have the stigma of the label attached with it. Sorry but I'm tired of someone calling themselves "long term unemployed" when they haven't been able to get one employer to give them a job in 2 years.

99er Alexandra Jarrin tells her story to CNN and sends letters to Sen. Sanders - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
to bad they forgot to mention the thousands of business owners who paid into the UE system and went broke and cannot collect a dime. they are the real forgotten ones. no safety net for them. I know I am one of them. we must find anything we can to eat and we do and it is possible, we prove it every day. these people can only work for a master who will take care of them and dont have the guts or skill to strike out on their own. our ancestors would be ashamed of their spineless offspring that demand the gov to coddle them for life

Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
If they're going to essentially live on welfare, they should have the stigma of the label attached with it.
That's mean-spirited, and besides, it's incorrect to call it welfare. We all pay into the federal unemployment insurance fund. Do you consider social security to be "welfare" too?

We've been through the worst recession since the 1930s. Considering how much we've spent on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think it's a big deal to extend unemployment benefits to our own citizens.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That's mean-spirited, and besides, it's incorrect to call it welfare. We all pay into the federal unemployment insurance fund. Do you consider social security to be "welfare" too?

We've been through the worst recession since the 1930s. Considering how much we've spent on wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, I don't think it's a big deal to extend unemployment benefits to our own citizens.
What federal unemployment fund are you speaking of? quit making stuff up their are idiots that will believe you

Old 12-13-2010, 12:14 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
If you're a "99'er", you are NOT an "unemployed person". You are, at that point, officially a welfare queen. This needs to stop being sugar coated or phrased in such a way that it makes these people feel better about asking for their handouts. If they're going to essentially live on welfare, they should have the stigma of the label attached with it. Sorry but I'm tired of someone calling themselves "long term unemployed" when they haven't been able to get one employer to give them a job in 2 years.

99er Alexandra Jarrin tells her story to CNN and sends letters to Sen. Sanders - Rochester Unemployment | Examiner.com
One employer? Really? This is how you justify this lame argument? Just because you don't see or live it first hand, does not mean that employers are hiring in enough numbers to reduce the unemployment rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
to bad they forgot to mention the thousands of business owners who paid into the UE system and went broke and cannot collect a dime. they are the real forgotten ones. no safety net for them. I know I am one of them. we must find anything we can to eat and we do and it is possible, we prove it every day. these people can only work for a master who will take care of them and dont have the guts or skill to strike out on their own. our ancestors would be ashamed of their spineless offspring that demand the gov to coddle them for life
Our ancestors/forefathers would be ashamed of what this country on a whole has become. Boo-hoo for you. Doesn't really matter until it hits home, hey?

No sympathy for our government and/or the business owners that so complacently sent our jobs overseas. All the while looking to deepen their pockets and expand their bank accounts with 'China does it cheaper' labor. Never mind the 15 million Americans that paid taxes only to end up in another recession/depression. We all got screwed.

Dry up.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:

And what would you say to someone who's had no job for 2 1/2 years? Believe me, he's been looking for work for that long. There are no jobs for which he's qualified! And when one becomes available, 16 or more people get there ahead of him.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
I thought this was ging to be a rant about Davide Spade.

Drat.

When they hit week 98 are they a welfare princess? What week is welfare duchess? Oh come on, I bet there's a chart somewhere.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:34 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
And what would you say to someone who's had no job for 2 1/2 years? Believe me, he's been looking for work for that long. There are no jobs for which he's qualified! And when one becomes available, 16 or more people get there ahead of him.
I say that if he's been on his rear end for 2.5 years, he could have gone out and gotten an Associate's Degree in an in-demand field by now.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:38 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Quote:

There are extreme cases and of course there will always be a small minority of people who take advantage of the system, but facts are facts; unemployment has been at record levels the past couple of years and indeed just ticked up again during November to 9.8% so let's can the sanctimony. Millions of worker bees didn't just suddenly decide to become lazy and indignant, and anyone really believing it's that simple has been living under a rock or was born yesterday. We're laying in the bed we've been hard at work making for decades.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
One employer? Really? This is how you justify this lame argument? Just because you don't see or live it first hand, does not mean that employers are hiring in enough numbers to reduce the unemployment rate.

Our ancestors/forefathers would be ashamed of what this country on a whole has become. Boo-hoo for you. Doesn't really matter until it hits home, hey?

No sympathy for our government and/or the business owners that so complacently sent our jobs overseas. All the while looking to deepen their pockets and expand their bank accounts with 'China does it cheaper' labor. Never mind the 15 million Americans that paid taxes only to end up in another recession/depression. We all got screwed.

Dry up.
hey I didnt send no jobs overseas.I just spent the last of my savings starting an American made furniture company. The demand is there,people dont really want pressboard crap from china. at least I am trying not crying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies