Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,113,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
And who would pay for all of these drug tests?
It would come out of their check. It's the price of doing business with the gov't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
What I don't understand is why many of the 99'ers are unwilling to move for a good job or obtain the necessary training/degree to get one. Grants can help defray the costs of attending college. There are also low intrest loans and many colleges offer payment plans as well. I've never had to pay my tuition and other fees up front. Most of it was covered by grants and loans. My only out of pocket expenses were my books, rent, food etc. Obtaining an education should be seen as an investment and not just another expense.

My only caveat is to get a degree in something that is practical.
Many colleges are limiting enrollment since funding is getting scarce. Loans are getting harder to come by. Tuition is skyrocketing. Our school had a 32% increase in fee's last year and another 8% is coming this next year. If you are a re-entry student it could be more difficult. If you are a part time student you may have lower priority in registration so getting those few classes you need could be more difficult. By the way, if you don't pay your tuition by the deadline for the quarter you are dropped from all of your classes (at least at my school you need to have $$ each quarter). There used to be a good work study program here and many of student jobs to help defray the cost of the university, housing, books, etc. We had ONE opening in the last few weeks and got 175 applicants. We used to get 20. It isn't impossible but it isn't cheap.

I always hear people talk about how you may need to relocate for a job. That is great if you have the money to move. I moved across town 2 years ago and it cost me almost 6K not including a moving van.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It would come out of their check. It's the price of doing business with the gov't.

So you are all for MORE gov intrusion?? In order to get a measly $300 (not exact figure, some places more, some places far less) you have to pay for a drug test? How often would you like these tests administered? Weekly? Monthly? Daily? Are you planning on having them be hair tests or urine? There is also the time it takes to get the results. It can be up to 10 days.

Hair tests are aprox $70-$100 for the home kit but you could just pluck out your kids hair so that won't work. You will have to go to a doc office. Or would the unemployment office make you come in to have your hair plucked? Urine tests are cheaper but you can either have someone take the test for you or you can purchase something to make your test clean. Come on, you have ALL the answers.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,121 times
I apologize for any appearance of hijacking or thread drift, but when faced with such breathtaking arrogance and hubris, I'm going to say this anyway.

So, Xan and Andrea, I suppose you'll claim age discrimination against Boomers does not exist in the ranks of the 99ers?

Just ONE source of dozens I found:

"Before the recession hit full force some employers hired baby boomers and the elderly because they saw them as more stable and with a better work ethic that the oncoming workforce of teens. When the recession did hit and employers were faced with the decision of who to lay off; and while the boomers were reliable with a good work ethic, they were also costing companies more money in salary, wages, and health benefits.

Now boomers looking for employment face the same problems. They are resented for causing unemployment for the younger population. They are thought of as a financial burden to potential employers. They are also facing the prospect of being over qualified at the same time as being a potential drain on training resources. The stereotype that the elderly are difficult to train, set in their ways, and incapable of evolving with current technologies is also working against them.

Baby boomer 99ers face a bleak future if Tier V benefits are not passed and an even bleaker future after those benefits run out. Discrimination against the senior population is not only hurting the baby boomers, but also the families and communities of which they are a part."

Age discrimination prevalent against unemployed jobseekers. | World News Heard now (http://www.worldnewsheardnow.com/age-discrimination-prevalent-against-unemployed-jobseekers/2542/ - broken link)

So what should we do about the ranks of mid-range unemployable Boomers who are looking at a decade before Social Security kicks in?

Should they all go back to school and incur more debt to get a "practical" degree when they're overqualified now with the education they have?

Should they dye their hair gray, get Botox injections, falsify their resume to hide evidence of incipient senility, and take Valium before interviews to hide that air of desperation?

Oh, wait, I guess you can force them all to march with signs at intersections pointing out to passing drivers what NERVE they had to age in our youth-obsessed society and then have them offer to commit suicide to lighten the "welfare" rolls for the rest of you who are so offended by the benefits that allow them a meager existence.

Hey, check out "Logan's Run" for your viewing pleasure -- definitely YOUR kind of movie.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread topic and apologize for my rant.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I always hear people talk about how you may need to relocate for a job. That is great if you have the money to move. I moved across town 2 years ago and it cost me almost 6K not including a moving van.
Why in the world did it cost you that much to move across town? We didn't pay anywhere near that to move and get settled after relocating to Wisconsin from Florida.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:11 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
I see this argument all the time. My counterargument:

If you're 59, you should have been close to retirement anyways. You shouldn't be panicked about running out of UI benefits, because you should essentially have enough savings to grant you a slightly less comfortable retirement as it is. If you're 59 and don't have two nickels to rub together, you lived your life wrong.

Furthermore, if you're in your 50's, you should have 30 years of stellar credit references. Find a niche and start a business. Then you can hire 3 more of your 59 year old friends and give them jobs.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
So I'm guessing you blame the unpaid seatbelt ticket on the cop for giving it to you or the clerk's office for not paying it for you? It's your own fault for having to go through a bunch of hoops for first getting the ticket and then not paying it. Quit yer whinin'. Hopefully that job doesn't slip through your fingers while you gather together money to pay your ticket and reinstate your license.

Just b/c you don't buy new furniture doesn't mean nobody else does. I see lots of furniture stores and they all seem to still be in business....

If you do good at a seasonal job, they often keep you on for permanent work. I got a seasonal cashier job once and within a week, I was promoted to the cash office and a month later, I was promoted to supervisor. I worked for this same company off and on for about 2 years...which was my fault b/c I kept leaving and coming back.
Stop guessing. The Salvation Army rarely hires people after bell ringing. I don't whine. I get things done. Keep your judgments to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Whoa, you have an aggravated suspended license and you want to become a public transit bus driver now?
Yes, that's correct. An unpaid seatbelt ticket and driving on that suspension is NO big deal. Glad your not in charge. Would you rather it be someone that has multiple or even one DUI? Didn't think so.

I always call a spade a spade.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:18 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I see this argument all the time. My counterargument:

If you're 59, you should have been close to retirement anyways. You shouldn't be panicked about running out of UI benefits, because you should essentially have enough savings to grant you a slightly less comfortable retirement as it is. If you're 59 and don't have two nickels to rub together, you lived your life wrong.

Furthermore, if you're in your 50's, you should have 30 years of stellar credit references. Find a niche and start a business. Then you can hire 3 more of your 59 year old friends and give them jobs.
Would you say that people who spent their careers at places like Enron and other companies who lost everything lived their lives "wrong"? All the retirement money up in smoke when the companies went under....

Old 12-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
So you are all for MORE gov intrusion?? In order to get a measly $300 (not exact figure, some places more, some places far less) you have to pay for a drug test? How often would you like these tests administered? Weekly? Monthly? Daily? Are you planning on having them be hair tests or urine? There is also the time it takes to get the results. It can be up to 10 days.

Hair tests are aprox $70-$100 for the home kit but you could just pluck out your kids hair so that won't work. You will have to go to a doc office. Or would the unemployment office make you come in to have your hair plucked? Urine tests are cheaper but you can either have someone take the test for you or you can purchase something to make your test clean. Come on, you have ALL the answers.
In this case, yes, if you want to receive a handout, you pay the price. It's like how on your driver's license it says that by holding the license, you automatically consent to a sobriety test; the same would apply to those on welfare.

I'm for testing that averages monthly but they have to be relatively random or else people will clean up for a few days (weed aside) and/or prepare to fake it. Pee tests are best, and of course they have to be done at an office, not at home, that's a dumb idea. The cleaning kits aren't worth jack. They get 24 hours' notice and they have to report to an office on time or else they lose benefits. If you're late once, okay, unless you're more than 15 minutes late, in which case you're done immediatley. If you're late twice, you're done. If you test positive for anything whatsoever, you're done, unless you have a valid prescription and doctor's note for opiate use. No one at the methadone clinic can obtain welfare, as many people get off heroin just to get addicted to methadone; if you're addicted to pills, no welfare. If you give the workers at the drug testing office any attitude or threaten them, you're done. If they catch you trying to fake it, you're done.

It's all common sense stuff, really.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,635 times
Quote:
Many colleges are limiting enrollment since funding is getting scarce.
More students = more money for the school

Quote:
Loans are getting harder to come by.
Stafford loans are guaranteed and can't be withheld, they are easy to obtain.

Quote:
Tuition is skyrocketing. Our school had a 32% increase in fee's last year and another 8% is coming this next year.
I assume you go to Cal, which is an extreme scenario.

Quote:
If you are a re-entry student it could be more difficult. If you are a part time student you may have lower priority in registration so getting those few classes you need could be more difficult.
Community college can't discriminate. And if you're just starting, you need a ton of classes.

Quote:
By the way, if you don't pay your tuition by the deadline for the quarter you are dropped from all of your classes
Then I guess it's a good thing that the government puts the money in your student account before the deadline.

Quote:
That's amazing, because I moved clear from Texas to the Pacific Northwest last year for half of what it cost you to move across town, and I've got a ton of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies